User Tag List

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Well, Here's some pics from the basement area showing the back of the Nautilus plumbing panel. This looks worse than it really is, I think, as water lines need arches to avoid crimping.
    I'm no plumbing expert--not even a novice journeyman--but from reading threads on this forum it looks like there are soft(?) hoses connected to Pex connectors. Pic 3 was the one that caught my attention.

@Rob, is this juncture a potential source of a leak as documented in this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ting-to-Happen ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soft line.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	17482

I wonder what I'll find when I dig into mine...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I'm no plumbing expert--not even a novice journeyman--but from reading threads on this forum it looks like there are soft(?) hoses connected to Pex connectors. Pic 3 was the one that caught my attention.

@Rob, is this juncture a potential source of a leak as documented in this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ting-to-Happen ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soft line.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	17482

I wonder what I'll find when I dig into mine...
    Hi Howard & Michael (@mikgala)

That is exactly the location where I discovered/created my first "soft hose to Pex fitting" leak when I was installed a shut off valve just above this in that original soft hose line that goes to the toilet. I put up with this soft hose until the line from the water heater burst one night. Then, it was "out with all the soft hose" and I have replaced everything with Pex. See this discussion https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...nnection/page4 I am not the only one who has encountered a burst soft hose at the water heater. As these trailers age, this is going to become more common and could do a huge amount of damage if the city water is connected and no one is at the trailer.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-02-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm dumbfounded AGAIN !!!
    WTH is going on with this Company ?
    I mean all three of the principals had extensive experience wt RV's and to manufacture these things with fault-laden designs is terrible !!!
    THANK YOU guys, again, for saving me from another potential diaster.
    Luckily, whenever I leave the trailer for any length of time I always shut off city water at source (as a habit), but even a couple of hours can be a nightmare.
    Guess I gotta retrofit the hot water feeds now with PEX ??
    Does it ever end

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm dumbfounded AGAIN !!!
    WTH is going on with this Company ?
    I mean all three of the principals had extensive experience wt RV's and to manufacture these things with fault-laden designs is terrible !!!
    THANK YOU guys, again, for saving me from another potential diaster.
    Luckily, whenever I leave the trailer for any length of time I always shut off city water at source (as a habit), but even a couple of hours can be a nightmare.
    Guess I gotta retrofit the hot water feeds now with PEX ??
    Does it ever end

Hi Michael,

The "official" GDRV position on this is in post 1 of this thread. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...018#post168018 Even though several owners have questioned and challenged this . . . this is how they have always built and continue to build.
    Just FYI . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what was the advantage for GD to use the soft hose instead of pex?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    So what was the advantage for GD to use the soft hose instead of pex?
    Fewer parts . . . the soft hose can be routed through curves that would require elbows, fittings and clamps with Pex.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In lieu of a retro-fit with Pex, would replacing flex hose with a fiberglass braided / 200° rated PVC hose work as well ??
    Gotta be better than their garden hose ?
    Michael

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In lieu of a retro-fit with Pex, would replacing flex hose with a fiberglass braided / 200° rated PVC hose work as well ??
    Gotta be better than their garden hose ?
    Michael

Hi Michael,

The issue is the fit of the hose to the Pex fittings. Most hose is spec'd by nominal ID which is too big for a proper fit to Pex fittings. See the first post on this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...857#post146857. If you are going to change out the OE soft hose . . . just go to Pex and be permanently done with the problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Michael,

The issue is the fit of the hose to the Pex fittings. Most hose is spec'd by nominal ID which is too big for a proper fit to Pex fittings. See the first post on this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...857#post146857. If you are going to change out the OE soft hose . . . just go to Pex and be permanently done with the problem.

Rob
    Hi Rob,
    I guess the million dollar question is WHY the RV industry does not simply outsource for a Pex to 5/8" (if that is the ID), three-way junction, as required in this toilet feed application ?
    Seems like a Win Win situation... IMHO .

Michael

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do what Rob says. I’ve been piecemealing pipe replacement for 4 years now. Just when I think I’ve got it licked, another fitting lets go. Luckily the layout of the 27RL has all the fixtures in the same genetal area so it has saved me from having to drop the coroplast to get to lines that might run to the rear of the RV(such as a rear kitchen or outside kitchen model.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast