User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARP Fridge Defend Install + First Impressions (in a 2019 315RLTS)

So you may have read my other thread on wanting to power my refrigerator on AC (through an inverter) while traveling. As a result of that thread and researching the forum I learned about ARP's Fridge Defend and absorption-style refrigerators (and what kills them). In the other thread I mentioned I also wanted to limit the logistics involved with the refrigerator. Another way of saying it is I want a configuration where I can "set it and forget it". The ARP device protects the refrigerator (from me) when I forget the frig is on and park on uneven ground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0770 (Large).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	16898

Name:	DSCN0761 (Large).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	16900

As an interesting aside, I talked with the inventor today (Paul) and the ARP as it exists today came about due to stopping on a shoulder of a road (at a severe angle) while helping a fellow RV'er with a clogged fuel pump. By the time he was done helping the other guy he'd burned up his refrigerator, which he didn't realize until he arrived at his vacation destination. Today Paul was super with answering the phone (twice) to help me with install questions. On Christmas Eve no less!

Some lessons learned during the install:
    1) The Dometic RM1350SLMX in my '19 315RLTS has a left-hand boiler. https://www.arprv.com/dometic-left-hand-boiler.php

2) Installing the ARP sensor is easier than it appears in the instructions, though it is a "blind" install. There will be scratched hands/arms, too, due to all the sharp edges where you're working. Removing the metal panel (the one with the schematic on it) makes it easier to work on the boiler.

In this picture the metal plate between the boiler and the ventilation panel is removed, but I haven't opened up the boiler itself.

Name:	DSCN0771 (Large).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	16899

3) A crimping tool is required (IMO) to make solid power connections for the fans (if you get that version). Extra lengths of wire are needed, too, if you decide to mount fans in the upper section or inside of the refrigerator. The length of wires on the fans are not long enough to reach the ARP controller. Extra insulation for around the heater tube and sensor is required as well.

4) Four sets of connectors for the fans are provided, but they are the typical ones you'll find at the hardware store. Not thrilled with how the connectors mate as metal is showing after they are connected (so 12V is exposed). I'm going to look for better connectors and replace what was sent. EDIT: I'm a dummy--all I needed to do was use heat shrink on the 12V+ connections. I have tons of it, too! Dang it...

5) If you decide to buy a Fridge Defend with the fan control (like I did) note that the large fan shown on the purchase option page (and the picture above) (https://www.arprv.com/purchase.php#number-four) does not fit in the upper ventilation section of my '19 315RLTS. The pictures below show the diagram from the installation manual at https://www.arprv.com/dometic-fan.php and what the upper section of my trailer looks like. There is no way (in my rig) the installation shown will work. The big fan won't fit anywhere in the upper space.

Name:	Upper Fan Control.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	16896

Name:	DSCN0783 (Large).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	16901

I installed both large fans in the lower ventilation panel. What I'm going to do is use the smaller fridge fans in the upper vent space as they fit perfectly between the vent slats. I talked with Paul about this and he's going to work with me on getting two more fans.

6) RTFMs. It's not immediately intuitive when power is applied what's going on. After reading the manual I discovered everything was working perfectly. (Whew.)

It's not a hard install but the blizzard of information on the website (and manuals) takes a while to absorb. (Get it?) I must have gone over the instructions (and watched the videos) 10 times before attempting to install the device.

If there's any questions fire away. I'll follow-up on this thread in the future when there's something new to report.
    Last edited by howson; 12-25-2018 at 06:35 AM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard,

In the second drawing, are these fans to be attached to the removable opening cover?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Howard,

In the second drawing, are these fans to be attached to the removable opening cover?

Rob
    Yes. I installed the two large ones in the lower vent cover (the air flow goes up). Only one was called for in the installation instructions but due to the second one not fitting in the upper vent cover I just doubled up on the bottom. Should have plenty of airflow now! They installed easily with zipties (red arrows). (The white ties are for the screens.)

Name:	Fans.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	16904

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Yes. I installed the two large ones in the lower vent cover (the air flow goes up). Only one was called for in the installation instructions but due to the second one not fitting in the upper vent cover I just doubled up on the bottom. Should have plenty of airflow now! They installed easily with zipties (red arrows). (The white ties are for the screens.)

Wouldn’t it make sense to turn those fans around so that they directly draw in outside air ?
    (I admit that I haven’t read the ARP installation instructions )

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Wouldn’t it make sense to turn those fans around so that they directly draw in outside air ?
    (I admit that I haven’t read the ARP installation instructions )

Rob
    The directions weren't specific. I did this intentionally so they don't draw in water when it rains. (And as you know from recent history, it can RAIN here in Florida!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post

Hello - been researching additional fan mod threads to use on my 2018 303 RLS. My upper vent looks just like yours - I believe that there are 3 or 4 fans about mid level, and when on, a good amount of hot air exits the top vent. There is no room at the top of mine either. However, since I also camp in the hot NE Florida summer, I'd like to add this type of fan to my lower vent to suck in cooler outside air and blow it upwards - just like in you picture. I'd like them to come on when the other fans come on, yet I'm no expert in how this would be accomplished.

The web site in your link is sort of confusing - can I just buy these fans and somehow wire them into the existing fans?
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    Hello - been researching additional fan mod threads to use on my 2018 303 RLS. My upper vent looks just like yours - I believe that there are 3 or 4 fans about mid level, and when on, a good amount of hot air exits the top vent. There is no room at the top of mine either. However, since I also camp in the hot NE Florida summer, I'd like to add this type of fan to my lower vent to suck in cooler outside air and blow it upwards - just like in you picture. I'd like them to come on when the other fans come on, yet I'm no expert in how this would be accomplished.

The web site in your link is sort of confusing - can I just buy these fans and somehow wire them into the existing fans?
    I agree--the ARP website is quite, um, "colorful".

The large fan fits in the lower section, though it's a "make it fit" installation as I show in this thread. I suggest giving Paul Unmack (ARP proprietor) a call at the number listed on the website to discuss your specific requirements for the fan(s) and wiring.

-Howard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 303RLS. I have been trying to find the small fans like you have used for the upper vent cover with no luck. Can you tell me where you got them? Thanks

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished up the install today. (Gorgeous day in NW Florida!) Any questions, fire away...

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I recently bought a 303rl it has the dometic 1350 smlx and I'm having cooling issues. Working on baffling mods and looking into additional fans. I came across the defender, then your thread. Since it's been over a year that you did the install, I'm wondering how you would rate the performance of this unit and the overall cooling improvement. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast