Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change out your 2 piece lug nuts!!!

We just bought a 2015 Reflection 323bhs and love it. Leaving the dealer, I caught a rivet in one tire so with a slow leak I attempted to remove it for repair when I got home. However, one lug nut would not come off and began to strip.

I put the lug nuts back on and took the trailer to Les Schwab. After a short fight the tire was removed and I learned the two piece lug nuts are steel and tin! The tin portion began to crush and strip easily! Thank God I wasn't in the middle of no where.

Les Schwab replaced all 24 lug nuts with a 1 piece design and balanced all 4 tires which were out if balance. The balancing will hopefully prolong bearing life!

I recommend to all owners to replace your lug nuts!

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of 2 piece lug nuts before. I can't picture it from your description. I have a solitude and never noticed anything different but I haven't removed a nut yet. Now I am curious and have to wait a bit before I can check it and see if I have this 2 piece lug nut that you are talking about because its at the repair shop. Do you have a picture? I imagine that might help others to understand it better and to check their RV. Thanks for posting this issue.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's referring to the stainless steel cladding over steel lug nuts that were also on our Reflection. I had some problems removing some on our camper when I removed the wheels for balancing. On a few the cladding had split and you were not able to get the socket far enough onto the lug nut to remove. I ended up hammering on a 6 pt impact socket to get a few off. All were replaced with chromed ones.

These were also used in the automotive industry back in the 80's without much success.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lugnut 3E.jpg  
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, these lug nuts are terrible! I replaced all of mine when I packed my bearings. Costco sells good lug nuts for about .45 each. Just ask in the tire shop. BTW, all four of my bearing seals were leaking after only one year.
    Todd and Stephanie - Tacoma, WA
    2014 Solitude 369RL #383
    2015 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I understand what you mean. I agree, if I have those stainless steel lug nut covers, I will change mine too. I also will check my bearing seals to see if they are leaking.

I wonder if those bearing seals are a warrantable item within the first year? Hmmmm, will have to check.

This forum is a great tool to have!

Thanks to everyone for your help!
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, just replaced all 32 of mine..
    Jim and Kerry
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2016 Silverado 3500HD
    Diesel/Allison

pwrplay
    Yup , I remember those terrible lug nuts. I used to be parts manager for a GM dealer and we would replace tons of those in the 80's, under warranty where the chrome cap just sheered right off. Gotta swap those ASAP.

BratsMonster
    Seriously? We are purchasing a 385TH. Chose GD for their reputation of good workmanship. Cutting corners with these garbage nuts seems a bit ridiculous. What's the company's stance on this? I'll definitely be checking this out on my PDI!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stainless Steel cladded lug nuts are common on many current cars, trucks and trailers.
    If you use a good quality 6 point socket and a manual wrench to break the lugs free, you will not have a problem.
    A 12 point socket and an air tool . . . you will likely rip off the cladding .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob is probably right about using the proper socket but since I have found I can't even count on these tire shops to torque the lugs properly that I won't count on them having the proper sockets for the impacts, consequently I replace all of mine with solid lug nuts. Some times preventive actions have more to do with the "professionals" that work on our vehicles than it does our actions.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast