User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide toppers on Solitude - opinions?

I've reviewed the various threads here and elsewhere on the merits of slide toppers, but I'm curious about the experiences and opinions of Solitude owners in particular. The biggest drawback seems to be sagging on some brands, and flapping in a strong breeze, and I would imagine both those things would vary with brands and the size of the slides. Any input from fellow Solitude owners would be greatly appreciated. For what it's worth, mine is a 310 GK
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Ford F350 CC, SB, SRW 4X4 with the 6.7 L diesel
    Pull Rite 18K superglide

James and his more or less faithful sidekick, Indy the Rescue Dog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 310GK as well. Mine was ordered with the slide toppers. For the amount of time we have used the trailer I can say that they are noisy in the wind especially if you are trying to sleep. They do a good job of keeping debris off your slide roofs. I can give you a better review after we get back from our month long trip to California at the end of March.
    Pam & John

2017 Ford F350 CCSB Diesel
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have slide toppers on our 310GK. The RV is a year old and I have not heard them flap in the wind yet or make any type of noise. However when it does rain hard they sometimes accumulate water and I either have to get the water off by pushing up on the toppers or I slowly bring in the slides to give the water time to run off. So far I like them because it keeps debris and water off the top of the slides so it doesn't end up in the RV.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have 5 slides with toppers. I can't say I've been in super heavy wind, but it's been too windy for the awnings. That said, I have never had an issue with noise, and one of the slides is right at the headboard of the bed.

As mentioned, they help with debris and water, but also, help keep the sun off the top of the slide.

I really appreciate when i am breaking down camp on a rainy morning NOT having to try to deal with clearing water or debris off the top of a slide. I had a TT for many years before this Solitude that also had a slide with a topper, no regrets there either. They are a must have for me.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We owned motorhomes before getting the Solitude and we had toppers on all the slides. They can flap in strong winds but if you keep them adjusted so the fabric is tight, flapping will be minimal.

Our Solitude does not have slide toppers but since we bought it to use at only one RV park in Myrtle Beach, I was OK with it. There are almost no trees so debris collecting on the toppers is not an issue. However, if we were traveling in the trailer, toppers would be a must-have.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issue I have had with mine on any rig that I have had is on my 310GK. The LR slide accumulates water and has a habit of dumping it on the stairs when I am using them I often need to shower but I prefer to pick the venue. Other than that very minor issue that could probably be adjusted out, I really like them.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the feedback. I was leaning toward getting the slide toppers before hearing from Solitude owners, and the replies here have confirmed that for my rig the benefits will outweigh any drawbacks. So far I've been camping mostly in the deserts in AZ and southern CA, so neither rain nor debris have been an issue, but that'll change by late spring.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Ford F350 CC, SB, SRW 4X4 with the 6.7 L diesel
    Pull Rite 18K superglide

James and his more or less faithful sidekick, Indy the Rescue Dog

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outtahere View Post
    So far I've been camping mostly in the deserts in AZ and southern CA, so neither rain nor debris have been an issue, but that'll change by late spring.
    Both of my unplanned showers happened in Tucson...since November
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    The only issue I have had with mine on any rig that I have had is on my 310GK. The LR slide accumulates water and has a habit of dumping it on the stairs when I am using them I often need to shower but I prefer to pick the venue. Other than that very minor issue that could probably be adjusted out, I really like them.
    I have slide awning on every RV for the last 10 years and like them. We travel in ours and that means frequent setups and slide moving. Won't have an RV without them. No problems of flapping but do collect water on a used Crusader 5th wheel on the big one. Might be too stretched now to effectively adjust.

Reference the "unexpected showers", try adjusting the level so the trailer tilts slightly aft so that any water collecting falls away from the door. That's assuming the shower comes from the big LR awning.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought my Reflection, the dealer quoted $2K for 4 toppers installed--a little rich for my blood. I find them priced uninstalled on Amazon much, much cheaper.

We were out last week, and had continued rains day after day. One night, it must have rained 3-4 inches, and the noise in the slide above my head was deafening. The noise factor made me wish I had installed the slide toppers.

When we packed up and left, the slides were retracted being wet. That means the humidity inside the trailer will be high, and possibly our cabinetry will be molded upon our return in a couple of weeks. I just wish toppers would keep the tops of the slides completely dry, but life doesn't work that way. With our being in cold weather, hopefully mold won't be an issue upon my return in 2 weeks.

But in dry, hot climates, I would think the inside temperature of trailers with slides would be better than without the toppers. It might cut down on the radiating type of heat slightly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast