User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJon2017! View Post
    We have an Andersen 3220 hitch and a F350 diesel Long bed truck. Our fifth wheel is a Solitude Model 344 GK. The problem we have is the limited turning radius because the trailer goose neck doesn't clear the truck bed walls. While maneuvering the fifth wheel and parking the fifth wheel impacted the truck wall denting it and bending the mounting bracket that locks the tow ball to the fifth wheel. This hitch severely limits the turning radius and the ability to back into sites. Watching YouTube videos of people parking a Momentum and turning at ninety degrees that's not possible with this.
    Is the Andersen coupler in front or behind the king pin?
    If it's in front of the king pin then that makes the pivot point longer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goducks makes a good point. Also the Anderson hitch ball has 3-different height settings, so if you have not already raise the ball height.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great feedback, did not know it was adjustable.
    Last edited by RetiredJon2017!; 02-19-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DOH, learn something new everyday. Thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by RetiredJon2017!; 02-19-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case others stumble across this thread and are looking for info on AUH and turning ability, it was something that concerned me greatly. My truck is RamBox equipped. For those that don't know what RamBoxes are, they are integrated tool boxes that take up the volume over the wheel wells in the bed of the truck. It means that my truck bed is narrower than a standard bed. I was very concerned about the pinbox contacting bedrails. Andersen's site said it works with RamBox equipped trucks so I took a chance. I'm happy to say it works very well for me. The reason is as others mentioned above, there are many ways in which this hitch can be adjusted. The hitch can mount in either direction. The coupler can mount in either direction. The ball has multiple height positions. The adjustability makes this hitch work well. Just thought I'd share that for those who may not know much about it or those considering it.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm VERY late getting in on this thread but I've seen this topic keep coming up. My comment refers back to the OP.

Something I have noticed throughout these forums is a tendency to overthink and a little bit of documentation gets misunderstood and then it becomes the foundation for a ridiculous argument. The OP was all about which hitch may or may not void a chassis warranty. So let's back the whole thing up and think about the loading differences between 5th wheel and gooseneck hitches...

It really is about simple geometry. The ONLY difference between the loads imposed by 5th wheel and gooseneck hitches is the height of the pivot point. The 5th wheel pivot is 8 to 12 inches below the upper deck. A gooseneck connection is maybe 12 inches below that. The gooseneck connection will obviously apply more of a bending moment to the upper deck structure.

So of course the manufacturers will scream about the gooseneck. But what if the gooseneck hitch point was raised to the height of the 5th wheel connection? All the loads go back to where they were. Should be no problem. But wait! The Reese Goosebox is ok even though it connects at the same height as traditional goosenck.

My take on this: Reese made a deal with Lippert. Anderson didn't make the deal so their name is mud. The whole conversation is about everything except the mechanics involved.

Not exactly the same issue, but closely related... I called GD and Lippert to ask them about the max designed pin loading on the chassis (15%? 20%? 25%?) Neither of them had a clue. It's all about marketing and limiting liability.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's been a year since you reply to the Post about the Anderson hitch and the turning point pin box just wondering are you still using the Anderson hitch with the turning point pin box and have you had any trouble with it
    Pat and Bill with Kaycee the Shar-Pei Hound and Abby the Shar-Pei Beagle in our hearts.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 295RL
    2023 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3 Godzilla 3.73 locking axle
    Andersen Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still using the Anderson hitch. I raised the ball height in the hitch but still have a clearance issue with the bed of the truck. This reduces my turning radius when pulling or positioning the fifth wheel. I have an F350 Diesel long bed quad cab that pulls the Solitude model 344GK effortlessly. Jealous of the guy in the YouTube video with his GD Momemtum turning at ninety degrees to position and park without any problem clearing the truck bed walls with the gooseneck. Alternative is a different hitch that is apparently much heavier. I can easily install the Anderson hitch myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought a new 2020 F350 shortbed and we use the Anderson hitch. It's been really solid for us. I have about 7-8 clearance and can turn about 80 degrees with no issues. I've also just installed safety chains for added peace of mind.
    Stephen & Kerri
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 4X4 Lariat
    Reese Goosebox

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJon2017! View Post
    I'm still using the Anderson hitch. I raised the ball height in the hitch but still have a clearance issue with the bed of the truck. This reduces my turning radius when pulling or positioning the fifth wheel. I have an F350 Diesel long bed quad cab that pulls the Solitude model 344GK effortlessly. Jealous of the guy in the YouTube video with his GD Momemtum turning at ninety degrees to position and park without any problem clearing the truck bed walls with the gooseneck. Alternative is a different hitch that is apparently much heavier. I can easily install the Anderson hitch myself.
    Just ran across your post in my research. I also am using the Andersen UFH with a Solitude 344 and F350 SB SRW. I’ve had the same problem with the pinbox hitting the tonneau cover side rails on moderate turns. Have you found a solution? I have my rig at the dealer to try and figure it out. Thanks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast