User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    It's interesting that that same area caught my attention in December of 2017 as reflected in this post:

Fiberglass Issue?

Jim
    Jim,
    From your first video, it looks like you are getting movement up to this area.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is a huge section of wall with issues. Let us know how it goes and your might want to pm Emily? I think her name is? The grand design rep that visits here.

Good luck, I hope they fix it better than new.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

I sent the video to Grand Design Customer service yesterday afternoon. This morning they confirmed the delamination and said that the rig was safe to drive and use until we can get it repaired. According to GDRV, "Clearly a delamination where it appears the Lauan substrate (with the EGS backer for the awning arm) detached from the tubes & foam. Structurally you should be OK as the wall frame assembly appears intact so travel shouldn’t be an issue." We are planning on attending the rally in Indiana in August, and they said it would be fine to drop it off at the service center at a convenient time before or after the rally.

Of course I'm not happy with the wall failure, but I'm glad to see that GDRV still stands behind their products.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that was my thought too. My concern now is that the awning could come loose while heading down the highway., I going to check with GD and see if I should remove it before putting several thousand miles on it. I'm hoping they can squeeze me in to the shop for repairs soon. I'd prefer they pick it up and take it to the factory instead of me waiting to do it at the end of August.

Jim
    Brian & Jim - valid points. If the awning arm on your 297 Jim, is not mounted to any aluminum frame or other structure behind the exterior thin fiberglass, luan and foam insulation that is a major design flaw or an installation mistake on your trailer. This could certainly be the cause or a contributor to your delamination. I just cannot imagine that this is the case from the factory but then again.......over 1000 greasy brakes posts !

It will be interesting to follow this thread.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Brian & Jim - valid points. If the awning arm on your 297 Jim, is not mounted to any aluminum frame or other structure behind the exterior thin fiberglass, luan and foam insulation that is a major design flaw or an installation mistake on your trailer. This could certainly be the cause or a contributor to your delamination. I just cannot imagine that this is the case from the factory but then again.......over 1000 greasy brakes posts !

Dan
    I'm not sure what GDRV means by "EGS backer for the awning arm" that is referenced in the quote above. Does anyone know what "EGS" stands for?

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what GDRV means by "EGS backer for the awning arm" that is referenced in the quote above. Does anyone know what "EGS" stands for?

Jim
    EGS is Electro Galvanized Sheet (metal) which is bonded to the back of the luan plywood to retain attaching screws. Same as is common for TV mounting locations. I never really liked this idea, because the weight of whatever you hang on the luan wall is retained only by the (very thin) glue bond between the luan and the aluminum frame. Obviously this bond failed in Jim's situation.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 01-04-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's Electro-Galvanized Sheetmetal.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Jim
    When Fran heard about your trailer she asked, "Where does he live?" When I replied, "Tucson" she said, "Could heat be a factor?" Since your awning arm is clearly not supported by a structural member, it is a constant pull on the side of the trailer. Apply generous amounts of Arizona heat and voila, the wall separates. (Fran may have a point?)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard, maybe you should let Fran post more, she gets right to it with not much blah blah blah.

Brian

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    When Fran heard about your trailer she asked, "Where does he live?" When I replied, "Tucson" she said, "Could heat be a factor?" Since your awning arm is clearly not supported by a structural member, it is a constant pull on the side of the trailer. Apply generous amounts of Arizona heat and voila, the wall separates. (Fran may have a point?)
    I've always thought that these things aren't built to withstand the high heat and low humidity of the desert SW. Case in point. All of our cabinets had to be replaced with real wood cabinets in September of 2017. The hot dry environment caused the original cabinets to shrink and the vinyl wrap to wrinkle. As far as I know, I'm one of the few with hard wood cabinets. But I'm not complaining too much. When I was doing the experiments with the refrigerator last year, the interior of the RV was about 115-120°F with the AC off. I'm sure that doesn't help anything.

Jim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast