User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I've always thought that these things aren't built to withstand the high heat and low humidity of the desert SW. Case in point. All of our cabinets had to be replaced with real wood cabinets in September of 2017. The hot dry environment caused the original cabinets to shrink and the vinyl wrap to wrinkle. As far as I know, I'm one of the few with hard wood cabinets. But I'm not complaining too much. When I was doing the experiments with the refrigerator last year, the interior of the RV was about 115-120°F with the AC off. I'm sure that doesn't help anything.

Jim
    Jim,
    I'm wondering if this began with the way the awning was originally attached. Once the awning broke loose from the backing, it worked at detaching the laminate from the core since it remained attached to the laminate with screws and butyl. The AZ heat may have also been a contributor.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Jim,
    I'm wondering if this began with the way the awning was originally attached. Once the awning broke loose from the backing, it worked at detaching the laminate from the core since it remained attached to the laminate with screws and butyl. The AZ heat may have also been a contributor.
    Jim - See my post 16 and TucsonJim’s original video. The awning doesn’t have to break loose from the backing. The awning is only attached to the exterior luan skin. All that holds the awning to the wall frame is the glue bond between the luan and the aluminum frame.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I've always thought that these things aren't built to withstand the high heat and low humidity of the desert SW. Case in point. All of our cabinets had to be replaced with real wood cabinets in September of 2017. The hot dry environment caused the original cabinets to shrink and the vinyl wrap to wrinkle. As far as I know, I'm one of the few with hard wood cabinets. But I'm not complaining too much. When I was doing the experiments with the refrigerator last year, the interior of the RV was about 115-120°F with the AC off. I'm sure that doesn't help anything.

Jim
    That doesn't sound too good for us then because we live near Palm Springs in Southern California where 115 degree weather and high humidity is common place in the summer. Watching this closely.

Phyllis

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    That doesn't sound too good for us then because we live near Palm Springs in Southern California where 115 degree weather and high humidity is common place in the summer. Watching this closely.

Phyllis
    Phyllis - High humidity might be working in your favour. In the GDRV manufacturing process, the glue that bonds the wall layers together is activated with moisture (high humidity). Perhaps the low humidity and high heat of Arizona, is reversing this moisture activated glue bond. (just a theory . . . no proof)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim - See my post 16 and TucsonJim’s original video. The awning doesn’t have to break loose from the backing. The awning is only attached to the exterior luan skin. All that holds the awning to the wall frame is the glue bond between the luan and the aluminum frame.

Rob
    Thanks Rob,
    Looks like a weak design IMO. Sometimes the awnings see high forces from approaching storms just before rolling them up. Why they would not have had this attached to the internal frame is odd.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, it looks like the awning arm not screwed into a stud would be the cause of the delaminated. Going down the road or extending the awning while camp would put a lot stain the just the outer wall. Image how much force would be on that awning arm even in light wind with the awning flapping. I would call it a "Manufacture Defect" and covered under the three-year structural warranty.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could this be a thought about going back to the old style awnings that had the arms that went down to the ground. It would take a lot of pressure off the side of the trailer when the awnings are out. I liked that style better anyways as they would hold up a lot better to the wind when you put some rope on them and staked them to the ground. Just a thought.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    To me, it looks like the awning arm not screwed into a stud would be the cause of the delaminated. Going down the road or extending the awning while camp would put a lot stain the just the outer wall. Image how much force would be on that awning arm even in light wind with the awning flapping. I would call it a "Manufacture Defect" and covered under the three-year structural warranty.
    Dennis,
    Good information. Also when wind blows directly over an extended awning while camping, the effects are the same as an airplane wing where lift is created. That lift will pull at the weakly attached brackets.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was at Hersey looking at the 310GK I talk with the project manager of Solitude about the dining table without any supports and only attached to the wall. He assured me that the there was a plate in the wall that extended between two framing members that would support the weight of the table. That it would not be a problem of pulling out the wall or cause delamination. You would think they would use the same system for the awning arms.

Dennis,
    Good information. Also when wind blows directly over an extended awning while camping, the effects are the same as an airplane wing where lift is created. That lift will pull at the weakly attached brackets.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,
    Looks like a weak design IMO. Sometimes the awnings see high forces from approaching storms just before rolling them up. Why they would not have had this attached to the internal frame is odd.
    Hi Jim,

I completely agree. To add to this discussion . . . when GDRV added the second awning to the 303, several of us asked about adding this to earlier versions. We were told that this was not possible because they changed the slide framing when they added the awning. There had to be frame members behind where the awnings attached. Hmmmm .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast