Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Big Delamination Area? Yikes!

While washing our 2017 297RSTS today, I found a 6' x 6' area of the right front wall that appears to be delaminated. In other words, the outer fiberglass does not appear to be bonded to the interior wall. I've got a service request into the customer service center, but I'm not real happy about how they answered. The representative kept repeating that they will only cover it under warranty if it is their manufacturing defect. He seemed quick to hint at water damage even though he hadn't seen any photos or evidence pointing that direction. And then he said the service center is totally booked until June 2019. So I've sent video to customer service and escalated it up the chain of command to make sure that this gets taken care of.

Since we'll be attending the rally in Elkhart in August, I'd like to get it addressed at that time. Does anyone have any factual data that suggests it is unsafe to use the trailer until that time?

Check out this video of the wall movement:

DELAMINATION

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-14-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    ...the outer fiberglass does not appear to be bonded to the interior wall.
    Well that stinks. First @Kim and now you.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is horrible. I don't think it is an issue to use it but I would confirm with Grand Design though.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, Jim....that's a significant area of separation. As you know I worked directly with Jerry and Micah on our side walls delamination and that exceeded my expectations. Working with the initial contact folks in CS is usually a different experience and your post shares that......not good.

It was interesting though as JD told me after I dropped off our 303 in May, 2018 that it was water intrusion and my fault. Jerry shared in our communications starting in 10/2017 that it was "seam pop" a factory lamination issue. I suspect the water intrusion and customer responsibility is the normal line and possibly more often the case.

When I shared our delamination video with our selling dealer he was not concerned about using the RV but did share that the bonded wall structures are important to RV strength and integrity. I would get feedback from Jerry on yours.....that is a large area.

Lastly, Jerry mentioned they were 3 months out when I shared our delamination with him. I asked about spring as a second option and he said what ever works best for us he would work with us.

You have been filling your AZ rain gauge quite often this year so maybe CS is on to you with water intrusion.....lol !

You will be taken care of just fine.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure do not like to see that on any trailer let alone the same brand I have.

Brian

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's interesting that that same area caught my attention in December of 2017 as reflected in this post:

Fiberglass Issue?

Jim

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another bothersome thing is that I "thought" that the awning bracket would have been screwed into an aluminum stud in the wall. Your video does not seem to support this theory.
    Not liking this at all!!!!

Brian

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Another bothersome thing is that I "thought" that the awning bracket would have been screwed into an aluminum stud in the wall. Your video does not seem to support this theory.
    Not liking this at all!!!!

Brian
    Yep, that was my thought too. My concern now is that the awning could come loose while heading down the highway., I going to check with GD and see if I should remove it before putting several thousand miles on it. I'm hoping they can squeeze me in to the shop for repairs soon. I'd prefer they pick it up and take it to the factory instead of me waiting to do it at the end of August.

Jim

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh darnit Jim! I hope it works out with the least inconvenience. I’ll check mine in the morning.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost like the awning leg wasn't fasten to anything solid and over time has caused the separation of the skin from the foam. Regardless thats horrible. It's an RV owners worst nightmare.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast