User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mounting spare tire on reciever tire carrier

OK folks - First Happy New year

I got a receiver tire carrier for Christmas. https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...rt/c31006.html I also got an attachment to snug and lock the receiver tire carrier in place. I plan on a tire cover too

Now to install and mount the spare. From the Westlake site and posts the spare wheel will accept 1/2" or 9/16" bolts - is this correct? I was thinking of using large wing nuts like these https://www.peerlesshardware.com/wing-nuts.asp Then I got thinking I should just use lock nuts of the same size as the wheel studs and bolts. Any thoughts on this? From searching I get different answers on the stud size. I have never heard of a spare being stolen.

Does any one know the size and thread pitch of the Dexter 4400 lb axle studs with the 15" tires. Its a 6 by 5 1/2 pattern if I remember correctly.

Thanks for any help
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello PowerScol,
    My only thoughts are that I would use lug nuts because of the taper to keep the wheel centered on the stud. Afraid w/o tapered nuts, the wheel bolt hole may wear. Just my $0.02 for what it’s worth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfever View Post
    Hello PowerScol,
    My only thoughts are that I would use lug nuts because of the taper to keep the wheel centered on the stud. Afraid w/o tapered nuts, the wheel bolt hole may wear. Just my $0.02 for what it’s worth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good Point - Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    OK folks - First Happy New year

I got a receiver tire carrier for Christmas. https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...rt/c31006.html I also got an attachment to snug and lock the receiver tire carrier in place. I plan on a tire cover too

Now to install and mount the spare. From the Westlake site and posts the spare wheel will accept 1/2" or 9/16" bolts - is this correct? I was thinking of using large wing nuts like these https://www.peerlesshardware.com/wing-nuts.asp Then I got thinking I should just use lock nuts of the same size as the wheel studs and bolts. Any thoughts on this? From searching I get different answers on the stud size. I have never heard of a spare being stolen.

Does any one know the size and thread pitch of the Dexter 4400 lb axle studs with the 15" tires. Its a 6 by 5 1/2 pattern if I remember correctly.

Thanks for any help
    Howdy powerscol,

Was wondering how the Curt tire mount worked for you? I was looking at the same set up on a 220RK...

Thanks!

Rick

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom 'r Bust View Post
    Howdy powerscol,

Was wondering how the Curt tire mount worked for you? I was looking at the same set up on a 220RK...

Thanks!

Rick
    Have not installed it yet. Maybe this week when I get the trailer ready for a short trip.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not installed it yet. Maybe this week when I get the trailer ready for a short trip.
    Ok. Let us know how you like it. Enjoy your trip!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well got it installed and it works great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	21410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	21411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	21412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	21413

The bolts I used were 1/2" by 1-1/2" carriage bolts with nylon locking nuts, They fit the slots and lock into the spare tire rack perfectly. The other critical item is the restraint to keep the unit from rocking. I used the Blue Ox hitch immobilizer BX88224, Very easy to install and works well.

The other photo is of the tire clearance to the trailer. If folks think it is too close there are at least 2 more adjustment holes to move it out.

Last I wound the spare tire lift up tight and foamed the hole shut. If I ever want to add a second spare back in all I need to do is remove the foam.

Now to find a suitable tire cover for the spare.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well got it installed and it works great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	21410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	21411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	21412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	21413

The bolts I used were 1/2" by 1-1/2" carriage bolts with nylon locking nuts, They fit the slots and lock into the spare tire rack perfectly. The other critical item is the restraint to keep the unit from rocking. I used the Blue Ox hitch immobilizer BX88224, Very easy to install and works well.

The other photo is of the tire clearance to the trailer. If folks think it is too close there are at least 2 more adjustment holes to move it out.

Last I wound the spare tire lift up tight and foamed the hole shut. If I ever want to add a second spare back in all I need to do is remove the foam.

Now to find a suitable tire cover for the spare.
    Nice powerscol! I ended up doing the same thing but with a heavier duty one. I was taking my 90lb truck spare and putting it on the back of my 220rk. Like you I added heavy u-bolts to prevent any play between the receiver and hitch. The hardest part was finding bolts that fit my locking lug nuts.

Well done sir!