User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard - well done.....covered several alternatives.

Your reference to the Nautilus panel being an area to restrict flow certainly makes sense. In the older generation GDRVs for those of us with Kantleak panels, one can see where the 360 degree rotating selection knob can resrtict flow if not aligning properly and/or if the infamous "O" rings became dislodged causing some level of restriction. Then, of course, there is panel assembly and RV build debris issues and water quality issues restricting flow or plugging screens/filters.

It would be interesting to see pictures from someone who has taken the Nautilus apart to see where flow restrictor points may be (if any) in all the various valves that turn or in other panel design areas. I suspect there are no screens in the panel area but what else in panel design may limit flow. Panel assembly by the manufacturer and/or installation build issues or debris by GDRV is another issue.

By the way our original kitchen sink faucet had poor flow from day one even when I cleaned the screens and removed some screens and flow restriction components. It got noticeably better than it was but still not where it s/b. The new faucet installed by GDRV this past spring has awesome flow both on the spray and normal settings. using both the water pump and city water connections. You may be on to something with faucet replacement as many folks have found out.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 01-08-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by st2rv View Post
    Had the same issue with low pressure in the kitchen faucet...........cleaning under the sink I found the weight that retracts the hose into the goose neck kinking the hose...hose is very thin and easily kinks. Relocated the weight and I now have plenty of pressure. I also was going to change the head. Was driving me crazy.
    Tom
    What you found with the kinked hose is something I have wondered might be a problem with some of the bad water pressure people have had. With the way things are run and other things put on top of it seemed possible. With some people having a problem and others not having a problem that would be something I would look for.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low Pressure/Flow from Kitchen Sink Fixed!

So I spent over $120 on a new fixture, shut-off valves and two pipe nipples to resolve a problem that didn't need to cost me a dime. Dang it.

I thought I'd removed all of the sprayer head's restrictor components as I documented in this thread. Yep, wrong again.

Turns out (as shown below) all I had to do was pop out this small component and voila--great flow from the sprayer head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Restrictor.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	17133

How did I come to this conclusion? After a monumental battle with installing a residential faucet (see post 16 below) I turned on the water and...weak flow from the sprayer head. After two+ days of battling and learning I noticed in the new sprayer head what looked like a restrictor I'd removed from my home's faucets. Sure enough, I popped it out and wham--great flow. Went and grabbed the OEM sprayer head and DANG IT--there's the same restrictor.

One note of caution. If you attempt to get this out, too, do not use too much force when trying to get the screw to bite. You could push the restrictor into the head and then you'd have a real problem.

Hope my experience helps someone else.

-Howard
    Last edited by howson; 01-08-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    December 10th, got our 337RLS back from dealer (there for 1 year checkup). I had noted a problem with low pressure in kitchen sink. They agreed that I had low pressure and a leak in the button switching from spray to single flow. They didn't have a replacement faucet in stock, so one was ordered and shipped to my home. I replaced the unit last week, but I have not tested it yet since I am winterized. We are leaving Sunday for a week in Florida. I will probably flush the system this Saturday before we leave. Will see if the new OEM replacement faucet helps and will update thread.

Also... I noted the weight and hose kink issue in #9 post. I made sure the new faucet install didn't have this problem.
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    So I spent over $120 on a new fixture, shut-off valves and two pipe nipples to resolve a problem that didn't need to cost me a dime. Dang it.

I thought I'd removed all of the sprayer head's restrictor components as I documented in this thread. Yep, wrong again.

Turns out (as shown below) all I had to do was pop out this small component and voila--great flow from the sprayer head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Restrictor.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	17133

How did I come to this conclusion? After a monumental battle with installing a residential faucet (more on that in a post later today) I turned on the water and...weak flow from the sprayer head. After two+ days of battling and learning I noticed in the new sprayer head what looked like a restrictor I'd removed from my home's faucets. Sure enough, I popped it out and wham--great flow. Went and grabbed the OEM sprayer head and DANG IT--there's the same restrictor.

One note of caution. If you attempt to get this out, too, do not use too much force when trying to get the screw to bite. You could push the restrictor into the head and then you'd have a real problem.

Hope my experience helps someone else.

-Howard
    Thanks Howard,
    I know I go thru a lot of these "processes" getting something to work how I want it.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow-up: The Fun Swapping in a Residential Faucet

I hate plumbing. Chasing electrons is so much easier than keeping water in a line.

So I thought the pressure problem in the kitchen was the sprayer head. I was right. I also thought I'd removed all the water restrictor devices from the sprayer head. I was wrong. This is the story of swapping out the OEM kitchen faucet with a residential model and how I got to the water pressure problem fix.

I took the sprayer head to Lowes and discovered a replacement is nearly $40. Shoot--for $100 I can get a brand new, just-what-the-wife-wants residential model. Of course I grab the bright shiny chrome version only to discover when I get home I need the brushed aluminum one. Back to Lowes.

Round two. I get the new faucet installed in the countertop and...nothing connects together. There's a 1/2"(?) plastic nut on the camper and a 3/8"(?) nut on the faucet's water lines. Houston, we have a problem. Back to Lowes.

Round three. I get shutoff valves (also something the DW wanted) with nipple adapters. Yea, this should be easy! Get it together and it leaks like a son-of-a-gun. I take it back apart and then notice the threaded nipple provided with the shutoff valve has tapered threads on one side and straight threads on the other. Naturally, both the faucet and the water lines need tapered threads. Off to the local plumbing supply store.

I get two tapered threaded nipples (one for hot and one for cold) and get it all put together. Of course I didn't get two tapered-threaded nuts to make it easy to seat the nipple in the stainless steel shutoff valve. Why would I want to make it easy? Eventually I got the connections tight enough to stop it from slowly leaking.

Then, of course, I find the water pressure (and volume) is still extremely weak. Many an unapproved-forum comment spewed from my lips and the dogs went running for cover. It was then it dawned on me to look at the sprayer head for a restrictor and...well, you already know the story.

For the record, the new faucet delivers .8 gallons per minute. You may recall the weak stream delivered .5 gallons. That may not sound like much of a difference, but the "feel" difference is remarkable. The wide spray pattern produces a strong delivery of water.

Did I mention I hate plumbing?
    Last edited by howson; 01-09-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: fixed terminology & pic labels -- thanks Rob!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Howard,

Wow . . . I take a day off and all kinds of things happen on this forum. BTW . . . I would way rather solve water leaks that electron leaks .

The fittings in your picture are not fine and coarse . . . they are straight and tapered. Same number of threads per inch. Straight threads need a seal ring. Tapered threads are "pipe" threads and seal by the friction fit getting tighter as the parts are assembled. Sometimes teflon tape helps these but won't do anything for the straight threads.

Glad to see that you worked your way through this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard,
    Thank you for the great write up. I too, hate plumbing and prefer electrons over water, so much that my DW will not allow me to "just look" at anything plumbing related. I have been following this thread since the beginning, as I too have the low pressure issues(Reflection) and am expecting the same when my new one (Momentum) arrives.
    IF you had it to do all over again, do you think you would have been happy with the water pressure by just removing the flow restrictors ? OR, would you recommend replacing the faucet with a residential model?

Thanks
    Brady

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    Howard,
    Thank you for the great write up. I too, hate plumbing and prefer electrons over water, so much that my DW will not allow me to "just look" at anything plumbing related. I have been following this thread since the beginning, as I too have the low pressure issues(Reflection) and am expecting the same when my new one (Momentum) arrives.
    IF you had it to do all over again, do you think you would have been happy with the water pressure by just removing the flow restrictors ? OR, would you recommend replacing the faucet with a residential model?

Thanks
    Brady
    I'm confident if I'd just popped out that white restrictor on the OEM spray head it would work as well as the new residential does (also with the restrictor removed).

If you look back over the numbers, the OEM faucet delivered 1 gallon per minute without the spray head connected. The new residential delivers .8 with and without the spray head (I think the .2 loss compared to the OEM is due to the shutoff valves, not the faucet). In other words, once the white restrictor was removed the spray head was no longer contributing to pressure or flow loss.

Bottom line--I'd recommend removing the restrictor and check the results. Super easy to do--just please be careful (as noted in the original write-up) to not push the restrictor into the spray head.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straight and tapered threads???? I think that may be the problem I ran into while hooking up my dishwasher. I didn't take any pictures and couldn't describe the fittings if I tried but I used two brass fittings to connect the water supply to the dishwasher. They looked like they should have fit together perfectly but it leaked - just a teeny tiny bit. Took them apart and added more teflon tape. Still leaked. Took them part again and added some yellow pipe sealant. Still leaked. Took them apart once again and added more pipe sealant. Leak finally stopped. I don't have much confidence that my "fix" was correct because I've never used pipe sealant before but that's what the guy at Lowes recommended and I was pretty desperate at that point.

I feel your pain Howard. Except I don't like plumbing or electrical work. Thanks for sharing your detailed work here for others to see. It's very helpful. If I shared what I was doing, people here would just cringe. Now that I think of it, I did make a pretty cool hinged panel for access to my basement. Simple job and a great improvement to the screwed on wood panel that Grand Design uses.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast