User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    overpolished

Not a grand design'r yet... but maybe

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are in the middle of making the transition from the boating world to the grand 5th wheel world of camping. The boat has been sold (sniff sniff) and we have been shopping for a solid first 5th wheel trailer for our family. We have been quite surprised at the lack of quality and fit and finish in many brands. A few weeks ago I stumbled upon Grand Design's and I admit I am interested. I took a look at a couple in person and I was pleasantly sureprised at the build quality and lack of sloppiness in the models I walked through. As you can imagine I am very interested in what you folks have to say I just purchased a new "horse" to pull the new "cart" and have plenty of excess capacity. We are not certain if we are headed towards a toy hauler type or a traditional 5th wheel. I liked what I saw in the Solitude and Momentum lines..... if only they made a Solitude bunkhouse... hint hint... wink wink. Thank you in advance for your feedback and for sharing your GD experience with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi overpolished and welcome to the forum,

Your transition sounds a little like our last upgrade to a larger fifth wheel. First, we needed a stronger horse to pull that bigger cart. Sounds like you have plenty of horse to handle most rigs out there. Like you, one of the first things that impressed us about the Grand Design product (we were focused on the Solitude) was the fit, finish and attention to detail (not to mention the floor plan was perfect for us). Now that we have been Grand Design owners for over a year, one thing I can say with conviction is: 1. They build an awesome RV and 2. You will not find a better company to work with. Their customer service is the best I've encountered. They are constantly improving because of one very important and rare quality in an RV company today. They actually LISTEN to their customers and make improvements based customer feedback. Not sure if that will get you that "Solitude bunkhouse" but there are several floor plans that hopefully will meet your needs.

Good luck with whatever you choose and happy camping!
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Jeremy! As Andy said, the Customer Service and support from Grand Design is the best. Whether you decide on a Solitude or a Momentum, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Steve

overpolished
    Thank you both for the warm welcome! I appreciate it very much. We have 28,900lbs towing capacity with a 6K pin weight capacity, that should take care of things in a very safe manner. I am so very happy to hear that GD customer support is fantastic! Customer service/support is where most will skimp nowdays.... it is impressive to see the company buck that trend. I am going to take my wife an daughter down to check out some of the grand design trailers this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll jump in here and "ditto" on what others have said about the quality and above all " customer service" which has been the best I have ever experienced and I have dealt with Keystone, Forest River and Lance. I'm not saying you won't have any problems, some do some don't, but the bigger issue is when you do how quick and efficient does the MFG. take care of it. We own a Reflection 303RLS and just love the floor plan. Get a Grand Design, you won't regret it. Oh yeah, and BTW, Welcome aboard !!!
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

overpolished
    Thank you sir for the warm welcome and the great information. The more I hear... the more I am liking this company.

Harlech
    Welcome to the forum overpolished.

I must say on this last shopping excursion I walked through over 100 5ers in my quest to find what I was looking for. Luckily for me I stepped into a Solitude on the first day, I think it was the third or fourth trailer. Needless to say the next 75+ or so I walked through left a lot to be desired. After all the Keystone's, KZ's, Jayco's, and many other manufacturers I had no problem coming back to the Grand Design. So much more value for your money!

overpolished
    Thanks for the warm welcome! That is a lot of walking!! Great to hear that I am not just nuts.... and other are seeing the same thing. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.