User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaindon View Post
    Hello All,

I was at a dealer looking at reflection series 5th wheels and TT...
    Don--keep in mind the Reflection bumper pull trailers do not have an auto-level system, just the 5vrs.

If it helps any, an auto-level system was on my "wish list" when I was shopping. Now that I have my 315RLTS I wouldn't trade any of the trailer's (limited) cargo-carrying capacity for the convenience of the auto-leveling system due to the weight of the system. As documented well on this forum, with a LevelMatePro and a set of Andersen levelers the leveling process is really easy (on a bumper-pull travel trailer). A 5vr is probably a different story due to not having the powered tongue jack.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Don--keep in mind the Reflection bumper pull trailers do not have an auto-level system, just the 5vrs.

If it helps any, an auto-level system was on my "wish list" when I was shopping. Now that I have my 315RLTS I wouldn't trade any of the trailer's (limited) cargo-carrying capacity for the convenience of the auto-leveling system due to the weight of the system. As documented well on this forum, with a LevelMatePro and a set of Andersen levelers the leveling process is really easy (on a bumper-pull travel trailer). A 5vr is probably a different story due to not having the powered tongue jack.
    The Reflection 5th wheels without auto levelling (early models and the 150 Series) are just as easy to level side-to-side with the Andersen levellers as the TTs. The front landing gear is powered just like the TT tongue jack, for fore/aft levelling.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually enjoy leveling it myself so I just ignore the auto-level feature.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The Reflection 5th wheels without auto levelling (early models and the 150 Series) are just as easy to level side-to-side with the Andersen levellers as the TTs. The front landing gear is powered just like the TT tongue jack, for fore/aft levelling.

Rob
    I didn't know that! Do the new Reflection 5vrs have a powered tongue jack, too, in addition to auto-leveling or just the early models?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I actually enjoy leveling it myself so I just ignore the auto-level feature.
    We actually prefer the feel of the trailer and the action of the doors, with the front end set a little bit high.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I didn't know that! Do the new Reflection 5vrs have a powered tongue jack, too, in addition to auto-leveling or just the early models?
    The front legs have always been powered (even before auto levelling). Even with auto levelling, you still need to manually control the front legs (like the tongue jack on a TT) to get the 5th wheel disengaged from the truck before you hit "auto level" (if you have and use this).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Good to know. So both the electric (Reflection) and hydraulic (Solitude) systems use all true jacks.

Thank you

Chris
    I would say you received some half truth.

The 150 series Reflections and the Reflection travel trailers do not have auto level.

The 320 such as you are looking does have electric auto leveling.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

I really thank you for all of the input, It really helps us a lot. I was really skeptical, when the sales critter told me that the electronic auto level was not "really " an auto level. It may be one of those things that in practice we end up caring less about than I think I will, but the thought of not doing the back and forth to get set up seems very appealing!!

We are getting close to retirement and In truth I am starting to pay in my body for all that "invincibility of youth" doh
    While we really have no issues now with the process, I do wonder if it will be more burdensome as we get older and as our use of the trailer changes from camping to traveling around the country, setting up the trailer every day when we are moving.

There are three main issues that will drive our selection. First and foremost is durability and quality. If I am going to pay this money for an RV I want it to be designed around at least 3-4 months of use each year. Second is size/weight issues. We will be buying a new home about the time we buy our RV and because of issues in the past I really want to be able to have a building to store it in on my property. This is much easier to find if we were buying a TT than a full height 5er, but I am not sure yet if the one foot difference between the reflection and solitude, is really significant. This also caries over into towing. Will I use significantly less fuel towing a reflection 5er that is 2000 lbs lighter and a foot shorter? I know I would use less fuel towing a TT both for weight and wind resistance, but is the "tow ability of the unit" good enough to not be a problem traveling around the country.????

Lastly, Price and features certainly come into play, but honestly either a 320mks or 344gk have everything we could ask for ( and more ). I would have to give up a couple of things to go TT ( and I doubt we will )

In general we really appreciate the fact that Grand design has really good choices for what we want in all three categories. Our current brand does not

Thank you all again for all of the help. I know I will be asking many other questions as we move forward

Don
    Last edited by Mountaindon; 01-08-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    Don & Jane Kyle
    Dash, our camping dog ( English Cocker Spaniel )
    26' TT
    2004 Chevy Silverado 1500

Here are the states we have camped in

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

I really thank you for all of the input, It really helps us a lot. I was really skeptical, when the sales critter told me that the electronic auto level was not "really " an auto level. It may be one of those things that in practice we end up caring less about than I think I will, but the thought of not doing the back and forth to get set up seems very appealing!!

We are getting close to retirement and In truth I am starting to pay in my body for all that "invincibility of youth" doh
    While we really have no issues now with the process, I do wonder if it will be more burdensome as we get older and as our use of the trailer changes from camping to traveling around the country, setting up the trailer every day when we are moving.

There are three main issues that will drive our selection. First and foremost is durability and quality. If I am going to pay this money for an RV I want it to be designed around at least 3-4 months of use each year. Second is size/weight issues. We will be buying a new home about the time we buy our RV and because of issues in the past I really want to be able to have a building to store it in on my property. This is much easier to find if we were buying a TT than a full height 5er, but I am not sure yet if the one foot difference between the reflection and solitude, is really significant. This also caries over into towing. Will I use significantly less fuel towing a reflection 5er that is 2000 lbs lighter and a foot shorter? I know I would use less fuel towing a TT both for weight and wind resistance, but is the "tow ability of the unit" good enough to not be a problem traveling around the country.????

Lastly, Price and features certainly come into play, but honestly either a 320mks or 344gk have everything we could ask for ( and more ). I would have to give up a couple of things to go TT ( and I doubt we will )

In general we really appreciate the fact that Grand design has really good choices for what we want in all three categories. Our current brand does not

Thank you all again for all of the help. I know I will be asking many other questions as we move forward

Don
    Your comment about better fuel mileage with the TT Reminded me of a post I remember reading some time ago. A member had gone from a TT to a 5th wheel and got better mileage. Said he thought it might be because of how the 5th wheel goes over the bed of the truck and is close to the cab. where as the TT sits a ways back to catch the wind. Of course the difference in weight would play a role too.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be one of those things that in practice we end up caring less about than I think I will, but the thought of not doing the back and forth to get set up seems very appealing!!
    The auto level system is the coolest thing on our RV and I wouldn't own an RV without it. We've had both the electric and hydraulic systems and both have worked flawlessly. There are some folks who don't calibrate the system before first use and have trouble getting a true level. Calibration takes five minutes and is simple. Others try to use the system while the RV is at extreme angles which can cause problems because jacks can extend to their limit and stop. If you read the manual before you use the system, you should have no problems at all.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast