User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 8K lb TT and went to a 12K lb 5th wheel. I towed them both with the same truck (2012 Duramax). I actually averaged 2 mpg better towing the heaver 5th wheel.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm just a Luddite, but to me any auto leveling system is just one more complex system to go wrong and I can't fix it. [emoji45]

Just for the record, I also prefer manual transmissions and analog tuning radios.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy,

That is really bizarre to me I would have thought that with the smaller size you would have less wind resistance and the lighter weight would just make it that much better.
    just goes to show you can reason your way to every correct answer

5er looks better all the time
    Don & Jane Kyle
    Dash, our camping dog ( English Cocker Spaniel )
    26' TT
    2004 Chevy Silverado 1500

Here are the states we have camped in

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don & Jane

I will offer these few points.
    We went from a 34' TT to our 31' 5er, I did not notice any difference in MPG. However I did notice it is a lot "easier" towing. Rides much better and seems to tow lighter.

The auto level feature you will like on anything you buy, I thought it was a little goofy to supply such a thing on a camper , but after a few uses and learning what I am doing it is a great feature.
    I do level side to side with wood blocks to get it close and then hit the autolevel button and proceed to get water , sewer , and electric hooked up while it does its thing, only takes a minute or so to get it level.
    Having this new feature will keep you happy as you get use to it and you will not have to crawl around with a crank or anything to make it level.

Seems like you are getting a lot of helpful info here and I am sure you both will come up with the right decision for your travel needs.
    Big step so maybe spend some time sitting and looking in the short list campers and it will come you both.

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaindon View Post
    Randy,

That is really bizarre to me I would have thought that with the smaller size you would have less wind resistance and the lighter weight would just make it that much better.
    just goes to show you can reason your way to every correct answer

5er looks better all the time
    I know, it surprised me too but it did stay consistent. I think what was happening is that, with the 5th wheel, the air would go over the cab of the truck and, because the 5th wheel sits so close to the cab, the air would just continue over the trailer. I think with the TT, because it sits farther back, the air would go over the cab and hit the full front of the trailer. IMHO, once you are up to speed, wind resistance, rather than weight, will have more of an effect on your mpg.
    Last edited by warsw1; 01-08-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I actually enjoy leveling it myself so I just ignore the auto-level feature.
    Well, I push one button to....
    Ground front jacks
    Pull away TV
    Push second button to Auto Level
    and its DONE....

Got better things to DO than crawl around in dirt wt 2 X 8's back and forth under the wheels.
    Having a nice cold beer... for instance !!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Ground front jacks
    Pull away TV
    and its DONE....

Got better things to DO than crawl around in dirt wt 2 X 8's back and forth under the wheels.

Leveling it myself entails the same, except I merely drive the electric jacks manually to hit level. I enjoy it. On a side note, it would be really neat if each jack would report a “load” value (maybe from motor power).
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Ground front jacks
    Pull away TV
    and its DONE....

I’m with you. We had a tent trailer before the 5r. Loved it except for the 1.5 hour setup and tear down. Including leveling it. Now 15 minutes and I’m in my chair with a glass of wine. Every minute counts to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Todd Dean
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Silverado 2500 Gas, std Bed, 2 WD
    BW Companion

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my perspective there are too many differences to compare our past Imagine 2950RL TT to our new Solitude S Class 5th wheel. these trailers are way to different in length, width, height and weight. The Imagine TT wasn't that bad leveling manually and then locking in the stabilizer bars. It was a great trailer for vacations and weekends.

Now with the Solitude 5er and leveling, I do get it close on side to side level, unhitch nose high, then use auto level. Ours is 6 way electric auto leveling. However the front jacks and the rear jacks are the only ones used for leveling, the mid jacks are used for stabilization and are the last ones down. Gotta say I love the auto level! The Solitude is very stable with the 6 jacks and doesn't get the wiggles like the Imagine did.

Our Imagine TT was fine with the weight distribution and anti sway hitch but the 5th wheel hitch, oh my, no comparison towing. However -the 5th wheel hitch weighs over 200# and takes up a lot of room in the truck bed but with an 8 ft bed and we leave the hitch in all the time, its not that big of deal. For others that need to use their truck bed for other things it is a big deal getting the hitch in and out. Or getting a lighter different design 5th wheel hitch.

We bought the 5th wheel for the additional options it has over the travel trailer for fulltime RVing. Larger heated holding tanks, better insulation, heated under belly and storage compartment, large bathroom and bedroom, RV wide body, storage and more storage. It all comes down to what you prefer.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the dealer meant if you where off either way side to side or other that you would need to add blocks, most likely I say side to side.
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l 4x4 regular cab 3.73 gears 68rfe trans. Payload 6255lbs
    2016 Reflection 337rls

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast