User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, when we had our 2017 Imagine 2950RL both of the slides were schwintek. Later (I think 2019 models) when GDRV upgraded and called it the 2970RL, the kitchen slide was changed to the through the frame type so now there was a hole in the opposite side skirt for manual operation. The schwintek system could not handle the weight of the kitchen slide, I guess. The dining slide (curb side)remained schwintek. I suspect they did the same on other models.

Our unit closed up to the point you could only get to the forward schwintek motor on the dining slide. You could not get to any of the other schwintek motors without opening the dining slide a few feet. We had the forward motor on the dining slide go bad and they changed it from the inside. They could not replace the motor from the outside. Working from inside the unit they pulled the side seal down out of its grove to expose the motor and set bolt/screw, pulled the motor up and off the bearing block and shaft to change it. Then they had to go through the process of re syncing the motors and schwintek system.
    About every 6 months using a dry spray lubricant, (I used WD40 Dirt and Dust Resistant PTFE Dry Lube) I lubricated the schwintek motor bearing blocks and gear shafts from the outside by gently pulling the slide seal aside enough to get the spray can tube in there. There was a great U-tube demo on doing this from Lippert and schwintek. This seemed to help keep the motors and slides moving easily.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-23-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Bill, when we had our 2017 Imagine 2950RL both of the slides were schwintek. Later (I think 2019 models) when GDRV upgraded and called it the 2970RL, the kitchen slide was changed to the through the frame type so now there was a hole in the opposite side skirt for manual operation. The schwintek system could not handle the weight of the kitchen slide, I guess. The dining slide (curb side)remained schwintek. I suspect they did the same on other models.

Our unit closed up to the point you could only get to the forward schwintek motor on the dining slide. You could not get to any of the other schwintek motors without opening the dining slide a few feet. We had the forward motor on the dining slide go bad and they changed it from the inside. They could not replace the motor from the outside. Working from inside the unit they pulled the side seal down out of its grove to expose the motor and set bolt/screw, pulled the motor up and off the bearing block and shaft to change it. Then they had to go through the process of re syncing the motors and schwintek system.
    About every 6 months using a dry spray lubricant, (I used WD40 Dirt and Dust Resistant PTFE Dry Lube) I lubricated the schwintek motor bearing blocks and gear shafts from the outside by gently pulling the slide seal aside enough to get the spray can tube in there. There was a great U-tube demo on doing this from Lippert and schwintek. This seemed to help keep the motors and slides moving easily.
    You understand my concern then. My son is skinny enough to monkey in there. But if he's not with us when there is a problem, it will be a challenge. I'm going to look into the control box side of it to understand that. Not sure how electrically disabling anything is going to make a difference, but I need to get educated on that end, just in case. I doubt I will ever have an issue - but just in case.
    Bill and Kim
    2019 Imagine 2670 MK, Equalizer WDH
    2020 Ford F250, 7.3 l gas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billman View Post
    You understand my concern then. My son is skinny enough to monkey in there. But if he's not with us when there is a problem, it will be a challenge. I'm going to look into the control box side of it to understand that. Not sure how electrically disabling anything is going to make a difference, but I need to get educated on that end, just in case. I doubt I will ever have an issue - but just in case.
    Yup, Our Solitude has a schwintek system on the bedroom slide so I still have to deal with it. IIRC reading or watching a video where they said the motors have a braking voltage applied to them from the controller to keep the slides from moving once fully extended or retracted. I could be dis-remembering. Disabling the power to the controller releases the braking voltage to the motors so that the slide can be moved by getting enough people to man handle the slide. But before having to do that, there was a procedure to press a button on the controller to override the system to try and get the slide to move. Worst case was to get in there and pull both motors off the bearing blocks to free up the slide gears to man handle the slide in, then you had to set a 2x4 inside the coach on top of the slide to keep it from free sliding back out.

I need to read up on it again, I'm rusty on remembering. the problem with our Solitude is that the bedroom schwintek slide is up there in the air. It would be very difficult to even reach it if the system should malfunction. But then again the bedroom slide isn't near as long and heavy so I don't anticipate having any problems with it. On our Imagine we never had anymore trouble with it after the one motor was replaced.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heaven forbid one of these ever fails. This would not be very fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12