User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling new HDMI cable to TV on televator

My front TV is on the televator behind the fireplace. I need to run a second HDMI cable from the overhead cabinet down to the TV for a Direct TV receiver. The existing coax and HDMI cables run into a hole in the side of the upper cabinet and exit down low thru another small hole behind the TV. I am wondering if anyone else has run additional cables thru this area and, if so, how difficult was it to do?

The problem is the second hole in the cabinet behind the TV. Dropping a cable down the hole up top is no issue but wondering how I am going to get it to turn and go thru that hole behind the TV. I am sure GD ran those wires as the cabinets were being installed and gave no thought to the owner needing to run additional cables.

I guess I could install some sort of A-B switch up top and use the same HDMI cable but not sure that sort of A-B switch is available.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well you have a couple of options. From a cable pulling standpoint of which I’ve done far too much in my life:

1. Use two fish tapes/sticks. Feed one from the far end through the small hole and then drop another down from the TV side to grab the other fish. This allows you to fish in right angles and insanely strange curves/spots. Each fish needs a bend in the end so you have “hook” it with the other (normally they come this way).

2. Tie/tape a good quality string/rope to the existing hdmi cable and then pull it back through. Then you have a pull string. Attach the new hdmi cable and a spare pull string (always leave a spare lol) and pull both cables back through. If the hole is too small for both cables to pass together just tape/tie the new cable slightly further down the existing cable.

3. Find a reputable residential home alarm installer in the area and pay them to run the new cable. These guys are used to crazy fishing in resin buildings.

It’s much easier with two people, one at each end to help wiggle and pull back when required.

I usually do the #2 method as I find the existing cables used by companies are garbage so I always end up pulling two brand new cables lol.

Cheers
    Tim
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Well you have a couple of options. From a cable pulling standpoint of which I’ve done far too much in my life:

1. Use two fish tapes/sticks. Feed one from the far end through the small hole and then drop another down from the TV side to grab the other fish. This allows you to fish in right angles and insanely strange curves/spots. Each fish needs a bend in the end so you have “hook” it with the other (normally they come this way).

2. Tie/tape a good quality string/rope to the existing hdmi cable and then pull it back through. Then you have a pull string. Attach the new hdmi cable and a spare pull string (always leave a spare lol) and pull both cables back through. If the hole is too small for both cables to pass together just tape/tie the new cable slightly further down the existing cable.

3. Find a reputable residential home alarm installer in the area and pay them to run the new cable. These guys are used to crazy fishing in resin buildings.

It’s much easier with two people, one at each end to help wiggle and pull back when required.

I usually do the #2 method as I find the existing cables used by companies are garbage so I always end up pulling two brand new cables lol.

Cheers
    Tim
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought of suggestion #2 on your list and will do that should I decide to pull new cables. Actually I found that you can get HDMI switches so I have one ordered from Amazon. That will let me use two input sources (one at a time of course) to the one HDMI cable that is already there. I will try that first.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    This is what I did except I tied my string to the existing coax cable rather than the HDMI cable. I also removed the "stereo" to get access to the hole where the cables come up through in my unit. Four screws and it came right out. I pulled an HDMI cable and two optical cables through mine -and I left the string there in case I need to pull something else later.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an ABCD switch on Amazon which takes 4 HDMI cables and automatically goes to the one that is seeking current
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine today. Just be patient and allow a couple of hours. I had to remove the radio and the electric plug for the tv. Not hard, just have to be persistent. Works like a charm and well worth the effort.
    2020 Solitude 310GKR
    2003 F350 PSD