Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talbots View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, we are going to try and find a 355th as I think I will be ok from a legal towing capacity standpoint with that unit......we just really fell in love with the 385th floor plan and features.

Thanks again.
    If you change to 4.10 gears, you're good. With 3.73 gears, you'll still be over towing cap if I read the chart correctly.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeremy!

Yes, absolutely need the 4.10 gears.

Thanks for posting those specs for Shawn. I had trouble because I have a new MacBook Pro (just switched from PCs) and I didn't know how to scale it down to post on the forum. that was the exact page we were looking at. Appreciate the help.

Aaron
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either way, he will be over...

The law goes by GVW, not empty weights.

A 355TH has a GVW of 18,000 lbs....empty is about 14,000.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2007 Dually Dodge Cummings 2WD w/3.73 rear axle ratio. Checked w/Dodge dealer to change ratio to 4.1, cost $2,600. Checked w/a local independant that speacializes in this area...$1,500. But, as mentioned if 4WD double the cost.
    Sam & Nancy Gallagher (Savannah, GA)
    2014 Momentum 355TH Purchased 6/26/14
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500
    Firestone Airbags
    2006 Yamaha Rhino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeremy!

huntr70 is correct! I didn't catch the GVWR because for some reason, I was thinking you wanted the Reflection You need to add the trailer GVWR of 18K to your truck which is about 8K lbs so total combined weight is 26,000 lbs. You probably will manage because most of the trailers out there are being towed are over their tow ratings but it doesn't make it right and you will be wrecking your truck.

I suggest that you speak to your RAM dealer and ask them what mods to your truck need to be done to make it cable of towing the Momentum with a CGWR of 24,000 LBS. Show them the Momentum specs http://www.granddesignrv.com/momentum-specs.php.

It should be possible to modify your truck. After the 2010 RAM design, I believe the frames are the same but they added more equipment to the point they can now tow 30,000 LBs. I believed they beefed up the transmission cooler, radiator cooler (I think there are 2 now), they chipped it, and probably other mods. So they should be able to do something but at this point, if I were you, I would stick to the RAM dealer unless there is an independent truck dealer in area that can match the RAM specs.

Let us know how its going. Good luck.
    Aaron & Donna
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

overpolished
    In model year 2013 there were more significant upgrades to the Ram "Heavy Duty" line up than you may think. Frame (50k PSI), axle, and drivetrain were all changed to get the the magic 30k number. I just bought a 2014 RAM 3500 DRWE, in order to get to 30K towing capacity you have to have a regular cab 2WD, basic interior package, High Put cummins (850lb ft torque) paired with the new medium duty Aisin transmission, 4.10 gears and DRW. With this your towing capacity is 30k. When you add a crew cab.... and a Laramie trim level.... 4x4, etc it drops a little. We are at 28,900lbs with the HO cummins, Aisin, 4.10 gears, DRW, really nice interior for my rear end, and 4x4. Aaron makes a great suggestion to work with your Ram dealer to see if you can get to the GCWR you want.

Great discussion all.... I love this type of stuff.

Motortrend details the changes in 2013 Ram HD trucks - http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ty_first_look/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jeremy!

Thanks for adding that technical info on the 2013 & 2014 RAMs.

Congrats on your new 2014 RAM. I'm jealous

Aaron
    Aaron & Donna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jeremy!

What size tires are on your new 2014 RAM?

Aaron
    Aaron & Donna

Talbots
    Hi folks,

We purchased the 355th on Wednesday and had it delivered to the campground that we are staying at, now I'll start working on a solution for the truck.

Thanks for all if the feedback, it's been a great help.

I'll post my feedback on the unit in another thread, but so far we love it.

Thanks again.

Shawn

overpolished
    Outstanding Shawn!! Huge congrats! The 355 is a fantastic rig!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast