User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Okay, this is twofold. I'll start by saying we are tired of paying for cable, and are looking for options to watch TV both at home and on the road. We are exploring streaming TV as an option to cable and satellite TV. One of the options I'm looking at is DirectTV Now. It looks like when comparing them to Netflix and some of the other streamers, they have the best bang for the buck. If what I was told is true, I can stream from anywhere and get my local channels (Las Vegas affiliates) wherever I am, assuming a decent internet connection. Our objective is to be able to watch current season TV shows with the ability to perhaps watch some on demand shows if nothing else interesting is on, and occasionally watch a contemporary movie. We're somewhat tech savvy, but get lost if it becomes too complex. Any advice or insight is appreciated.

Along with that, what equipment is required for the different options. As an example, the Samsung smart TV we have in the living room at home is an older model. So it looks like I'll need to buy a Roku device to watch DirectTV Now at home, but we have a new Samsung smart TV in the RV. What about the other (OEM) TV's in the RV.

Help...

John
    Lots of opinions here. Ill try to give it my 2 cents. I know its an older post but finding more and more people are talking about getting out of dish, direct, etc.

I cut the cable at home about 6 months ago. Best thing I ever did.

You have to think about internet connectivity, tv capability (or ability of your device), the user interface, the shows you care about, and cost.

If we are headed to a place without cell or internet, i download a boatload of shows and movies to my phone and ipad in case we want to watch in the RV.

I played with may different options and we finally settled with this.

Roku as our platform. Very clean and straight forward interface. Can get it built into many tv’s or add a $29 Roku stick to any dumb or smart tv.

Internet is through my IPad, with a verizon hotspot backup. Comcast when we are at home for internet only.

As far as apps, give them all the free trial period.

We started with Hulu +live TV. Couple things with Hulu. GREAT selection of tv and movies. Live TV recording often cuts off beginning or end of show with no way to change the record time. The Hulu user interface is, IMHO, horrible. So we have downgraded to Hulu only (with no ads cause we like to watch Bones, Man with a Plan, etc)

YoutubeTV for live TV. Super easy interface, doesn’t cut off beginning or ending of a show. However, given the state of entertainment these days, and no real live TV to talk about (I’m not watching sports any longer....another discussion), I hit the pause button on this service and will turn it back on if/when live shows are worth it (and new seasons start.)

Netflix if you like those shows. I subscribe and unsubscribe often given whatever is showing. When the next Stranger Things drops, we will turn it back on.

Disney TV, if you like these, then go for it. Again, turned it on to watch Mandelorian then turned it off when done.

For those that have older “smart tv’s” they often were limited in the “apps” that you can download.

Like I said above, I love the Roku system and added it to a non-Roku smart TV for $29 from Walmart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    Lots of opinions here. Ill try to give it my 2 cents. I know its an older post but finding more and more people are talking about getting out of dish, direct, etc.

I cut the cable at home about 6 months ago. Best thing I ever did.

You have to think about internet connectivity, tv capability (or ability of your device), the user interface, the shows you care about, and cost.

If we are headed to a place without cell or internet, i download a boatload of shows and movies to my phone and ipad in case we want to watch in the RV.

I played with may different options and we finally settled with this.

Roku as our platform. Very clean and straight forward interface. Can get it built into many tv’s or add a $29 Roku stick to any dumb or smart tv.

Internet is through my IPad, with a verizon hotspot backup. Comcast when we are at home for internet only.

As far as apps, give them all the free trial period.

We started with Hulu +live TV. Couple things with Hulu. GREAT selection of tv and movies. Live TV recording often cuts off beginning or end of show with no way to change the record time. The Hulu user interface is, IMHO, horrible. So we have downgraded to Hulu only (with no ads cause we like to watch Bones, Man with a Plan, etc)

YoutubeTV for live TV. Super easy interface, doesn’t cut off beginning or ending of a show. However, given the state of entertainment these days, and no real live TV to talk about (I’m not watching sports any longer....another discussion), I hit the pause button on this service and will turn it back on if/when live shows are worth it (and new seasons start.)

Netflix if you like those shows. I subscribe and unsubscribe often given whatever is showing. When the next Stranger Things drops, we will turn it back on.

Disney TV, if you like these, then go for it. Again, turned it on to watch Mandelorian then turned it off when done.

For those that have older “smart tv’s” they often were limited in the “apps” that you can download.

Like I said above, I love the Roku system and added it to a non-Roku smart TV for $29 from Walmart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We have a couple of Roku devices for both the sticks and bricks and the RV. We pretty much did what you did and checked out just about all the streaming services. The problem we faced was none of the streamers had all the shows we watch. This one had these, and another had those... We ended up with an Amazon Fire Stick (my son loaned us his for a while) and we found Infinity TV ( getinfinitystreams.com ) and it seems to work well. The user interface takes a bit to get used to, and we find we have to refresh the guide daily, but one can always find something to watch. Between that and the options on Amazon Prime, we're content. At least for now. In the RV we carry a Verizon Mifi with a (grandfathered) unlimited data plan and even with a weak signal it works well.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123