User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srobins View Post
    I am curious how others have mounted their solar panels to the roof of their trailer. I purchased a couple of 200 Watt panels from Hightec Solar and will be mounting them to the roof of my 297RSTS. I will be using Z-Brackets from Renogy to mount the panels. These came with self-tapping screws and the hardware to fasten them to the panels.

My preference would be to fasten the Z-Brackets through the roof and into a joist, but I have been usable to locate the joists using a stud finder. I am guessing this is due to the foil insulation used on the roof. Just how important is it that the brackets be mounted over a roof joist? Obviously this would be more secure than screwing into the plywood roof only. If you mounted your brackets on joists, how did you locate them?

I plan on putting Dicor sealant on the roof before mounting the brackets and than covering the bracket in additional sealant. I have read elsewhere that someone had placed a piece of Eternalbond tape on the roof where the bracket was located to avoid damaging the roof membrane with the bracket.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I used #10 x 1" sheet metal screws into the sheathing on my previous SOB. It held well for over 3 years running around the country. I believe the sheathing on that trailer was 3/8" thick plywood. Used Dicor under and over the brackets. I may use actual mounting rails on my 337 so I can use more brackets into the roof. Also probably use Eternabond tape under each bracket.
    Ayran and Paul McIntosh
    Box Elder, SD
    2020 Solitude 310GK "LaMancha"
    2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
    I mounted 6 of the 200 + 25% panels. I figured I would buy from an American company in case I had any issues. This is the third RV I have owned that I mounted a system on. I first wired 2 panels in a string to the combiner box and I have 12 foot run of 2 guage fine strand copper wire from the combiner box to the Victron 150/100 charge controller. I couldn’t get over 700 watts out of a 1200 + 25% system and this was at 12 noon in July in California with no shade whatsoever. I then spoke to AM solar about it and they recommended running the panels individually to the combiner box. I did that still no more than 40 amps and 700 watts. I called Hightec solar and spoke to Jesse the owners Son and he had me individually test the panels. Low and behold 2 of the panels were only putting out about half of the advertised watts and volts. He then had me remove the 2 offending panels from the mounts and take pictures of the panel hooked to my meter to confirm the low voltage. I did that and he said he would send me 2 new panels. I thought great a company that backs their product. Well a year later and about 50 texts and phone calls later still no panels. He keeps telling me they have been shipped or I thought those had shipped. So the fact is they do not back their product and they are sub par performing panels. I spent a ton of money on this project All Victron equipment 150/100 charge controller, 3000 watt inverter charger, battery monitor all remote panel controls, 600 amp hours of lithium batteries not to mention the many hours of labor and at the end of the day it is only as good as the weakest link in this case the sub par solar panels made by Lowtec solar.
    Your issue is with Hightec, not AM Solar? l'm curious why you called AM if your gear was from Hightec. AM treated me right, 5 or 6 years ago but then I never had issues to deal with. Only failure I've had was with the Victron monitor that failed and I've learned to live without it. I feel your frustration - solar install is not a lot of fun, but I don't think I'd leave it to a 'professional' to do it. Good luck.
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty View Post
    Your issue is with Hightec, not AM Solar? l'm curious why you called AM if your gear was from Hightec. AM treated me right, 5 or 6 years ago but then I never had issues to deal with. Only failure I've had was with the Victron monitor that failed and I've learned to live without it. I feel your frustration - solar install is not a lot of fun, but I don't think I'd leave it to a 'professional' to do it. Good luck.
    I did the install myself. I only called AM solar for advise as I have heard great things about them just not willing to pay the 20K they wanted for my solar/electrical system. No issues at all with AM solar they were great and I have bought supplies from them. My issue is with Hightec solar themselves, they manufacture the panels and it’s a family owned business you would think they would care about their reputation and stand behind the product. Jesse was very helpful selling me panels but after the sale don’t expect anything even if they send you an inferior product.
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
    I did the install myself. I only called AM solar for advise as I have heard great things about them just not willing to pay the 20K they wanted for my solar/electrical system. No issues at all with AM solar they were great and I have bought supplies from them. My issue is with Hightec solar themselves, they manufacture the panels and it’s a family owned business you would think they would care about their reputation and stand behind the product. Jesse was very helpful selling me panels but after the sale don’t expect anything even if they send you an inferior product.
    Holy Moly! I think I spent $5k on my setup. 400w of panels, 200w pure sine wave, controller, 4 6v batteries, etc.. All from AM except the batteries.
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12