User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heating and Cooling question

Hello all, how well does a Momentum 376THS cool in the summer with 3 AC's plugged into 50 amp service? Also how well does it heat in winter with temps in the 20/30.

Thank you.

KC

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KC - I see you have a few other posts as well regarding questions on the 376. Dallas @D2Reid has owned a 376 for a few years and shares excellent feedback. He is also a Moderator. He and his wife are Full Timers and have camped all around the USA from extreme heat to very cold conditions.

Hopefully Dallas and other 376 owners will read your posts and share feedback.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kcook2 View Post
    Hello all, how well does a Momentum 376THS cool in the summer with 3 AC's plugged into 50 amp service? Also how well does it heat in winter with temps in the 20/30.

Thank you.

KC
    My wife can no longer tolerate extreme heat. As a result we don't test the A/C cooling capabilities very often. Plus, our RV has a base color of Black, making it a bit of an oven in hot temps. But we have traveled in 100f heat for a few days at a time, just long enough to get through that area and head some place cooler.

What I have found is the A/C units will keep the RV around 75-80. Pretty good when it's 110 outside. In my 376 I have 3 A/C units, the middle one is also a heat pump. It has an Electronic Management System (EMS) built into it. The EMS keeps the three A/C's from running all at the same time. It definitely has some quirks. I tend to think that when the EMS "sluffs" one of the A/C units it will allow the fan to continue to run, just not the compressor. Then the A/C has to be shut off and turned back on for the compressor to work again. In four years I have only been in heat enough for that to happen twice, so never really proved my theory out.

My 376 is very "zonal"; not sure that's a word, but the BR will heat up while the LR stays cool, has to do with where the sun is shining. At first I didn't like the flow through ventilation system. I thought it it sluffed off too much cool air and was not effective. But when I got into really warm temps I started liking it a lot better. 2 A/C's run together just fine. The flow through system allows the cool air from both to be pretty evenly distributed throughout the RV. Making the whole thing cool, not just the room with the A/C in it. But because there are 3 thermostats, LR, BR, Kitchen, whichever one gets warm fist starts the cooling.

I spend way more time in cold climate. We winter in Park City, UT for the ski season. -22F is my record low, while 10f to 30f is normal temps. We keep toasty by running the furnace off of a 130 gallon propane tank we rent from a local propane supplier. Then we supplement that heat with the fireplace, it has a personality all it's own, and a medium room electric heater that resides in the kitchen, the lowest point in the interior of the RV. My wife keeps a little cube heater in the bathroom. We skirt and have double pane windows. It takes a lot of energy to heat this thing. We spend around $400 a month for propane/electric in the winter. We range from 65-70 in interior temperature. The bays stay around 35-40.

You will never be as comfortable in the 376 as you would be in a properly built house. There simply is not enough insulation. The HVAC units don't have the output. But it is tolerable. The good part is that if you aren't liking it you can pack up and move to another part of the country. We spend a lot of time chasing the 70f line.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have dual pane windows on our 2020 351M. I added the RV Airflow devices to all of our units. We had 118 temps in Havasu during month of July. We maintained 75 inside. The kids, who stay in the garage, asked to me to "turn it up" because they were too cold.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you had any trouble with the heat in the bedroom? I'm not getting good airflow if I get any flow at all and sometimes it's cool flow. My bedroom in my 376 THS cannot get warm.