Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody upgraded their soudbar??

Hey all.

I'm looking to upgrade the TV sound bar in our Solitude. Was thinking of getting one with a wireless sub woofer. Has anyone done this and do you have any recommendations on what a good unit is and the best place to put the sub?

Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

DennisK
    I am curious to the replies to this as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being the impatient person I am, I went to to Costco and got the Samsung sound bar and wireless sub set. Just finished installing it. It sounds soooo much better than the original. After a lot of experimenting I ended up putting the sub behind the fireplace. The sound bar was a very tight fit. So tight that I couldn't use the mounting brackets that came with it since they require the bar to slide sideways a bit to lock into the brackets. I used the existing bracket from the old sound bar as a center support and will rig up something to support the ends just as added (makes me feel better) support. I'll need to get a plug adaptor since there aren't enough plugs to handle the extra one required for the sub (used up the extra for the Wii). All in all, I'm happy with the results I got.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa

DennisK
    That "sounds" awesome! What make/model soundbar did you get? It will save me some legwork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Andy!

how did you put the Sub behind the fireplace?

I was thinking of doing the same thing because the sub that came with the new blu-ray home theater system I purchased is really big! I ran wire for the new speakers that are small enough to mount. Lot of work but it will sound good.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    That "sounds" awesome! What make/model soundbar did you get? It will save me some legwork.
    It's a Samsung HW-HM45C. Costco had it on sale for $199. Be sure to measure the width of the TV enclosure. It needs to be at least 37 1/2 inches or the bar won't fit. Mine was just a hair under but I managed to squeeze it in thanks to a little "flex" in the side walls of the enclosure.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
    Hey Andy!

how did you put the Sub behind the fireplace?

I was thinking of doing the same thing because the sub that came with the new blu-ray home theater system I purchased is really big! I ran wire for the new speakers that are small enough to mount. Lot of work but it will sound good.

I removed the fireplace and just used a bungee cord to secure it to the rear wall. Plugged it in where the fireplace is plugged in. In mine, there's a small false wall at the back, inside the cabinet to the right of the fireplace. If you remove that wall (4 screws), you can see the plug for the fireplace.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This kind of brings up an interesting observation. Why such low end entertainment equipment in what is perceived as a mid to higher end RV? The last 2 RV’s I had I expected lower end TV’s and audio systems. They were the first things I replaced.

I would have no objection to stepping up to a better Samsung TV and a better Blue Ray system. A Yamaha HDMI receiver would be a better option as well.

I would gladly pay an additional premium for a better system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mburtsvt View Post
    This kind of brings up an interesting observation. Why such low end entertainment equipment in what is perceived as a mid to higher end RV? The last 2 RV’s I had I expected lower end TV’s and audio systems. They were the first things I replaced.

I would have no objection to stepping up to a better Samsung TV and a better Blue Ray system. A Yamaha HDMI receiver would be a better option as well.

I would gladly pay an additional premium for a better system.

I agree, but I'm an audio nut. Not everyone is, so to many, it's not that important and not worth the extra expense. Besides....everyone has different opinions about what constitutes a quality audio/video system. I guess GD could offer many different audio/video options, but that would be very expensive. The manufacturer can't possibly make everyone happy and stay competitive. They have to draw the line.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my input on a few of these topics.

1) I agree that audio is a personal preference but it would not have cost much more for a lager TV instead of the side cabinets. Besides other RV companies install more complete audio solutions (not necessarily high end) that have larger TVs, surround sound instead of sound bar, a subwoofer.

2) Grand Design should reconsider their audio components to be more in line with their upgraded features such as the plush theater style seating, huge pantry, kitchen Island, large bathroom, decor, etc. Also, the Solitude is sold as "extended living" so we want a nicer audio experience when we re enjoying relaxing time when we spend 5 months in the RV every winter. Its not "camping", its living in our cottage on wheels.

I upgraded our "RV theater system" with a nice LG BH7520 3D Blu-Ray HTS on clearance for only $100. I replaced the false wall behind the TV with a new back board that opens up like the cupboard door above the microwave so I can use the space behind for my printer and other items. The only difficulty was the huge Sub-woofe which I will install behind the fireplace (came with smaller speakers than original ones that worked to my favour to install in RV).

Thanks to Andy for his info on his subwoofer install behind the fireplace.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast