Likes Likes:  0
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Brake Adjustment and Other Maintenance Items

We've put about 6500 miles on our 337, and I was noticing that I was having to use higher settings on the brake controller in order to get adequate braking. So while in camp tonight, I raised each wheel and adjusted the brakes. As noted in other posts, the brakes are NOT self adjusting, and must be manually adjusted from time to time.

I happen to have a brake adjusting tool that I carry with me, but you can probably make the adjustment with a screw driver. If you are going to adjust them yourself, you need to rotate the adjustment spline upward (to tighten), which means you move the tool downwards. It's much easier to properly place the tool if you look inside the slot with a flashlight before you get started.

While I was at it, I lubricated the grease fittings on the back of the Equa Flex system. This one is easy to miss if you don't know the fittings are there. There are five grease fittings on each side.

Finally, I removed the covers on the end of the hubcaps and put a couple shots of grease in the bearings until I have time to remove the wheels and pack the bearings by hand. On each wheel, there is a plastic outer cover on the metal hubcap, and a rubber inner cover before you get to the grease fittings. They are a little difficult to remove and replace, but with patience, it's doable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim, we have about 5000 miles on our 303 and have three more trips planned before the end of the year. I plan on doing exactly the same thing that you just talked about. Couple of questions, do you still have the original GD tires? If so how are they holding up? Mine are doing pretty good, I'm religious about air pressure and load balance.
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    do you still have the original GD tires? If so how are they holding up? Mine are doing pretty good, I'm religious about air pressure and load balance.
    If you haven't, I'd certainly recommend a tire pressure monitoring system for the camper...really reduces the sphincter clenching.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Boomer - I'm still on the Westlake tires. They are doing fine. They are wearing well and show no signs of problems. I check the pressure every few days with a guage. I also have a TST tire pressure monitoring system so I can keep an eye on them continuously while going down the road. I think the TST paid for itself. When I installed it, I had new metal stems put on the 337 at Discount Tire in Tucson. A few days later, we were driving down the road and I started to have pretty fast pressure loss and the low pressure alarm went on. I pulled over, and one of the valve stems was not torqued properly and was leaking. I was able to tighten up the valve stem and air up the tire while on the side of the road. If I didn't have the TST, I would have probably lost the tire. Then I most likely would have had blamed the tire for the blowout. You hear a lot about "China Bombs", but I sometimes wonder if there are other issues at work such as leaking rims, valve stems or punctures that cause the problem.