User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sequoia's and Redwood's in California

We are planning a trip to this area in September coming from Oklahoma. Looking for campsites with full hook-ups that we can use as a base camp for a few days in each area. I don't mind driving a little further from camp to see different attractions. I have never been to California and don't know which roads to take and ones to stay off of. Have been looking at the Visalia area and the Crescent City area. Will be pulling a 39ft fifth wheel. Thanks for any help! Chris
    Chris & Kelly-- Tulsa
    Reflection 337 #217, SOLD 7-3-2017
    2015 Ford F350 CC LB
    B & W Companion
    2016 Solitude 369

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Three Rivers area is nice. Just outside Sequoia Park. There are several campgrounds in that area and roads are no problem. We have stayed at Kaweah Park Campground and Sequoia Ranch Campground. Both decent places. There is also Horse Creek Campground at nearby Kaweah Lake. Be sure to look into the Crystal Caves in Sequoia (only open summer months but maybe into September) We haven't been there yet cuz we always miss the open times. Have fun!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm from Nor Cal and have been on every back road in the north end of the state. I'm curious what made you choose Crescent City as a base point?

I would suggest some place much closer to Ave. Of The Giants. Right in the heart of the giants is "Ancient Redwoods RV Park" and is a Good Sam park. "Riverwalk RV Park" in Fortuna is another nice park that is centrally located to so much to see and do.

I will say that there is more to do in this area than can be done in a month. Here is a list of things that I would suggest looking in to further for things to see and do (listed from north to the south) in that area:

*Visit the small rugged coast town of Trinidad, Ca. https://www.visitredwoods.com/listin...e-village/536/
    *Visit the Big Foot Museum in Willow Creek (both of these could be done on the same day from either of the RV parks that I mentioned above)... http://bigfootcountry.net/
    *Enjoy a meal at the Samoa Cookhouse (over the bridge from Eureka)....the last company town cookhouse in America and meals are still served the same way as they were back in the day.....family style. http://www.samoacookhouse.net/
    *Visit the Carson Mansion in Eureka.... https://www.ingomar.org/about/tour-carson-mansion
    *Visit the community of Ferndale, Ca. the last Victorian community in America.
    *Drive the full 32 miles of Ave. Of The Giants (it's only 32 miles but you'll easily spend half the day due to all the stops and Kodak moments/locations).
    *While on the Ave Of The Giants you have to stop at Humboldt Redwoods State Park visitors center to see the worlds first RV.....it was carved out of a redwood tree, the Charles Kellogg Redwood Log RV..... https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/21008
    and another here... https://www.savetheredwoods.org/blog...was-a-redwood/
    *A little further south on Hwy. 101 is the One Log House, carved out of a redwood tree.... http://aveofthegiants.com/attraction...se-attraction/
    *Even further south on Hwy. 101 but still easily do-able from either RV park that I mentioned above is the world famous Drive Thru Tree.... http://www.drivethrutree.com/home.html

Other misc. thread that you might be interested in.... https://www.visitredwoods.com/

I will add that many of these places, things to see and do are free or very affordable for a family compared to spending a day at an amusement park (ie, the museum where the Kellogg Log RV is free, visiting the Victorian community of Ferndale is free, driving Ave. of The Giants (will cost you fuel), etc. etc.). Just so much to see and do but these places would be the highlights as far as somebody that's never been to the area.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please ask or shoot me a message. I would suggest getting your RV park reservations as soon as possible as this is a high tourist area.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some great info JCZ.
    I bet someone from Oklahoma would like to see some Elk at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. And even see Paul Bunyan at Tree's of Mystery.

SO MUCH to see, so little time. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all that info. Like Ken said, "So Little Time". Not being familiar with the area, Crescent City just stood out on the map. I'm not set on any town yet, that why I ask for some good advice from locals. Really looking forward to this trip. Oh, Ken, I don't know if that was a pun or not, but we have some area's with elk in OK. Chris
    Chris & Kelly-- Tulsa
    2015 Ford F350 CC LB
    B & W Companion
    2016 Solitude 369

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Never been to California"..... I would strongly suggest that you consider passing on Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks and spend that time in Yosemite National Park. While Kings Canyon and Sequoia (pretty much one and the same) NPs are nice, they do not compare to the beauty of Yosemite. And since Yosemite is geographically a much smaller park so you don't spend all of your time driving from one feature to another. Just something to consider.

If you do go to Yosemite, I would recommend Glacier Point as a "must see". Park in the parking lot at the end (about 15 miles out to the point) and walk the 100 yrds or so on the paved trail to the point for world class views of the Yosemite Valley far below you. Also go walk through the Majestic Yosemite Hotel....go back towards the dining room and turn left into the massive grand room with the massive fire places at each end. Then walk out in to the yard out back...walk out by the creek and then turn to look back at the hotel for another Kodak moment. All the many waterfalls flow their fullest in the spring and is a great time for Yosemite as well as the redwoods up north.

You are about to embark on a vacation that you will never forget. The politics of California suck but the sites to see in Nor Cal are endless and world class. I would say that even if I weren't from Nor Cal simply because it's true.

Note: that state has the highest gas prices in the nation and approx. $1.00 a gallon more than Ariz. (if you go in from I-8 or I-10 from Ariz. Much higher even if you go in through Vegas or Reno.....fill your tank before you cross the state line and then use Gas Buddy app while you're in the state for the best prices where ever you're at. Everything else is more expensive, also.....groceries, hotels, motels and RV parks, etc. But so much to see and do inside Yosemite and in the redwoods that really doesn't cost anything so it's still do-able.

Enjoy your journey.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfdcc View Post
    Thanks for all that info. Like Ken said, "So Little Time". Not being familiar with the area, Crescent City just stood out on the map. I'm not set on any town yet, that why I ask for some good advice from locals. Really looking forward to this trip. Oh, Ken, I don't know if that was a pun or not, but we have some area's with elk in OK. Chris
    I'll take this one step further....if you'll tell me what month you are planning as well as what route you'll be coming in to the state, I will lay out a route for you that will be the most scenic and inclusive while going from one to the other location. I'll lay it out as though I were pulling my 42' Momentum so it will not be an issue for you. Let me know?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tfdcc, we went to the Myers Flat area to see the redwoods a couple years ago. They were amazing! It sounds like JCZ has the best info, so I would follow his lead. We’re from Nor Cal also prior to our recent move. The northern part of the state is beautiful if you stay out if the major large cities. Have fun on the trip, take lots of pics...

We stayed at Giant Redwoods RV Park. It was okay, and had a nice river front, but at the time we were there (Octoberish), the river had an algae warning and no one could go into it, including pets. There were homes bordering it and the smell of growing marijuana at the time. Now that it’s legal, the growers are having a difficult time getting rid of their product, so that may be gone. So... good location to see the big tress, and the park was okay as far as cleanliness and personal safety. Staff was friendly and helpful.
    Last edited by Steve7; 01-27-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JCZ, we're going to be there in the last couple of weeks in September and will be coming on I-40. Chris
    Chris & Kelly-- Tulsa
    2015 Ford F350 CC LB
    B & W Companion
    2016 Solitude 369

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfdcc View Post
    Thanks JCZ, we're going to be there in the last couple of weeks in September and will be coming on I-40. Chris
    Chris are you still going with Kings Canyon & Sequoia National Parks or are you going to go with Yosemite?

I believe the large majority of people that have been to both (KC & S is usually done as one since there boundaries touch and the highway goes from one through the other) would suggest Yosemite over KC &S. In late Sept. all of the waterfalls will not be flowing at their fullest, far from it however, they will still be flowing and they are all the tallest falls that you may ever see. KC &S just doesn't have anything that'll compare.

Let me know and I'll lay the route out, either way. It may take me a couple of days as we're getting ready to start travelling again, over the next few days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast