User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Al~and~Dave

Solitude 379FL Awning Placement

Looking for a solution to the awning arm placed too close to the front door.

It is fine if you plan to leave the awning closed. The fact that the control panel is at the back door, it is only a matter of time before someone forgets about closing that front door before extending the awning.

Once the awning is out, the door bangs against the arm. Once again, only a matter of time before the door/paint is damaged.

What about one of those little chains we used to have on our screen doors? or a gas strut? or an L-shaped door latch?

Thoughts? What shall we do in the meantime?

In any case, it is a design flaw which needs to be addressed.

Thanks,

Alison and Dave
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    2013 GMC 3500HD SRW CC 6.6 Duramax

tcheveldave
    Totally agreed. I cannot believe that a high-end unit has such a design flaw. We had to stuff a piece of cardboard in our door to keep it open. It still bangs up against the awning arm but it does not slam shut if there is a bit of a breeze.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gas Strut is Perfect Solution

After talking to Marc Hauser at GD, he provided the perfect solution for this and that is the Gas Strut. I've provide pictures of my install.

-Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3764.jpg   IMG_3765.jpg  
    Scott and Lois-South Jordan, UT
    2014 Solitude 379FL #1467
    2011 F350 Crew Cab

Al~and~Dave
    I was given another solution which allows for a choice of the door to be opened back when the awning is retracted. This 90 bracket is placed next to the current one.

Either way I will have to have it installed which means a trek to the dealer.

Thanks,

Alison and David
    Georgia, VT
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Door FIX.jpg  

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al~and~Dave View Post
    Looking for a solution to the awning arm placed too close to the front door.

It is fine if you plan to leave the awning closed. The fact that the control panel is at the back door, it is only a matter of time before someone forgets about closing that front door before extending the awning.

Once the awning is out, the door bangs against the arm. Once again, only a matter of time before the door/paint is damaged.

What about one of those little chains we used to have on our screen doors? or a gas strut? or an L-shaped door latch?

Thoughts? What shall we do in the meantime?

In any case, it is a design flaw which needs to be addressed.

Thanks,

Alison and Dave
    2015 Solitude 379FL
    Hi Dave and Alison (@Al~and~Dave),

We are in the process of adding a strut to the top of the entry door to address this concern. This is something your dealer can do (or you can do) if you like. See attached photo of same application on another model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14_0825 Solitude 379FL Awning Placement forum attachment.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	785

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Beartoy
    Janice

Is this strut a piece GD will send to 379FL owners? I can install it myself or is it dealer installed only?

ohman_stm
    Quote Originally Posted by Beartoy View Post
    Janice

Is this strut a piece GD will send to 379FL owners? I can install it myself or is it dealer installed only?
    Janice, I too am interested in this solution!!!! "Pretty Please". Also would like to hear some details if there is a recommended mount point in the camper shell, and what screws do you recommend to ENSURE this doesn't eventually separate/strip over time.

droidguru
    Just a warning, our old unit had a gas strut over the rear door (this was not a Grand Design) one day the screws ripped out of the camper. I took it to the dealer for a repair and two weeks later the same thing happened. Without boring you with the rest of the very long story, I ended up removing it and patching up the holes. Just something to think about prior to install especially if you use the door often and are planning to keep the camper for many years.

Al~and~Dave
    The more that I think about it, the less I want the gas strut. I like to be able to open the door right back when we first arrive. Often times it is too windy to have the awning out, yet warm enough to have the door open. We will consider the 90 bracket next year.
    Thank you for all of the information.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droidguru View Post
    Just a warning, our old unit had a gas strut over the rear door (this was not a Grand Design) one day the screws ripped out of the camper. I took it to the dealer for a repair and two weeks later the same thing happened. Without boring you with the rest of the very long story, I ended up removing it and patching up the holes. Just something to think about prior to install especially if you use the door often and are planning to keep the camper for many years.
    I'll second that. Last camper was a Rockwood had the door strut and the screws stripped out on the door side. Ended up attaching the door side bracket with bolts/nuts through the door frame. It was a vey common failure on the Rockwood/Flagstaff 5vers.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast