User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315RLTS Lower Front Cap Protection From Road Debris

Two day old new owner and questions abound!

My latest question/type-A concern has to do with the lower quarters of the front cap to the left and right of the tongue A-frame.

The black center portion of the cap has a rhino/Line-X looking material that looks like it could withstand a rock pop. It is further protected by the propane tanks and cover. But the cream colored areas that are in-line with the tow vehicle rear wheels do not have this coating. Why? Why not extend this across the bottom of the cap to add protection, like diamond plate would? Since it is not, have any of you done anything to protect this area? It just seems like this could be an issue in the long term. The rocker panels on my truck have this material and I have yet to see a chip in it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Myke View Post
    Two day old new owner and questions abound!

My latest question/type-A concern has to do with the lower quarters of the front cap to the left and right of the tongue A-frame.

The black center portion of the cap has a rhino/Line-X looking material that looks like it could withstand a rock pop. It is further protected by the propane tanks and cover. But the cream colored areas that are in-line with the tow vehicle rear wheels do not have this coating. Why? Why not extend this across the bottom of the cap to add protection, like diamond plate would? Since it is not, have any of you done anything to protect this area? It just seems like this could be an issue in the long term. The rocker panels on my truck have this material and I have yet to see a chip in it.
    I agree, Big Myke. I've got a few dings in the front of mine already. (One from a flying breaker bar while removing the Blue Ox WDH, but that's another story.)

I looked at the Rock Tamer but really dislike that it mounts through/to/between the receiver hitch and ball mount. Everytime I remove my (substantially heavy!) Blue Ox WDH ball mount the Tamer has to come off, too. I'm not going to do that. If that's not a concern for you it might be just the ticket. Marc (from Keep Your Daydream) uses them on his Ford and he pulls a 312BHTS, essentially the same as ours (size and weight).

If you find something else, please post as this is still on my mod wish list.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have been looking for a solution and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006M9VIRM...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00110_rock-tamers_adjustable-dimensions_t.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	17421
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not have the area treated with a Line-X bedliner type substance. I have seen colors other than black. Even saw a tan colored truck bed spray jobby. The previous owner of my 3 week old '17 315 RLTS apparently did not use anything. So I'll be looking for matching touch up paint. GD??? Marc from KYD apparently raves about his rock tamers, but then again he went to Alaska!!
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    I too have been looking for a solution and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006M9VIRM...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00110_rock-tamers_adjustable-dimensions_t.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	17421
    Thanks, Jim. Howard mentioned these too. Like Howard, I don't want to have to wrestle the receiver hitch plus the tamer on and off my truck. I love the concept but I'm not a full timer, so hauling is periodic. There's a 3M film that gets mixed reviews. I think I will drop a line to GD to 1) ask why the protective material they put on the black part does not extend out over the cream parts and 2) recommend they do just that for future TTs. Perhaps there might be a retro solution provided by them? I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy. All they can do is say no...

Mike

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin' Dreamers View Post
    Why not have the area treated with a Line-X bedliner type substance. I have seen colors other than black. Even saw a tan colored truck bed spray jobby. The previous owner of my 3 week old '17 315 RLTS apparently did not use anything. So I'll be looking for matching touch up paint. GD??? Marc from KYD apparently raves about his rock tamers, but then again he went to Alaska!!
    I looked into Linex and the issue I found was a place that has a large enough booth to put a 315 in plus it adds weight and the cost.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Myke View Post
    There's a 3M film that gets mixed reviews.
    Not from me. The 3M film or the films from Xpel have worked perfectly on my cars and bikes. I use it to protect headlights and have had some pretty significant strikes with no damage. Looks new on the headlight after 7 years. Thanks for reminding me of it. I think the front of my 310GK is a perfect place for it.

-jeff
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additionally, I have seen a do it yourself Line-X type substance that you apply with a roller. Could this work on the front of our trailers ?????
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Not from me. The 3M film or the films from Xpel have worked perfectly on my cars and bikes. I use it to protect headlights and have had some pretty significant strikes with no damage. Looks new on the headlight after 7 years. Thanks for reminding me of it. I think the front of my 310GK is a perfect place for it.

-jeff
    Jeff - Glad to hear from an actual user of this product. my next concern with the 3M/Xpel would be the size of the application area, i.e. alignment and getting bubbles out before it starts to adhere. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Big Mike - You can buy it precut for most car/truck and bike applications but it is available in sheet form for custom installs like ours would be. It is installed by spraying it wet with soapy water and then you squeegee the water out from the edges. I have never applied a large amount of it but have never had a problem with smaller sheets. I would cut some templates and trim the sheets as opposed to applying it and trying to cut it in. Remember it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect to protect your trailer. It takes a few days for the smaller bubbles to evaporate out.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast