User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    That probably is a good question for the Reese folks. Having said that......shortly after we got our rig (the GB was part of the deal), I'd air up the GB, take off on a trip, and after a couple days, I'd notice that I needed to air the bags back up. My fear was a leaking airbag (or two) so I called Reese and got a hold of a tech guy and told him of my issue. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: I think I have an air bag(s) leak because it's not maintaining air. After a day or so of towing, I need to add more air.
    Reese Dude: Do you have the relief valve still in place?
    Me: What RV?
    RD: It's that fitting looking thing that the air line goes to and has a round looking knob.
    Me: Yep.
    RD: Take it off and throw it away. We though a RV would be a good thing, but testing showed that it was not.

I did what he said and haven't had any issues in the three years since. Those air bags they use are pretty robust. But that doesn't mean they can't fail. I do agree that housing them in the GB poses a real PITA if you have to replace them.

Tom
    How long have you had your Fifth wheel?
    What is the model number for your Goosebox?
    Is it the newest generation Goosebox?
    Do you have a method to lock your Goosebox for security?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    How long have you had your Fifth wheel?
    What is the model number for your Goosebox?
    Is it the newest generation Goosebox?
    Do you have a method to lock your Goosebox for security?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry for taking so long to respond. Ok - here goes:

Q: How long have you had your Fifth wheel?
    A: We bought our 337RLS in February of 2016

Q: What is the model number for your Goosebox?
    A: It is Reese part number 96622. And don't ask me why I chose the 16K model and not the 20K version. Most likely it was having never had an RV, much less a 5th wheel, and a bit of stupidity on my part.
    Ref: http://www.reeseprod.com/products/pi...notJoVbxIFMqvl

Q: Is it the newest generation Goosebox?
    A: No. See above answer. The newer design are the two models at the bottom of the page I referenced above.

Q: Do you have a method to lock your Goosebox for security?
    A: No. And as silly as it might sound, Although the RV is parked at our house, we live in one of those rare places in the USofA, where I can keep my garage/workshop roll up door open for 2 hours while I run into town and we don't always lock our doors. And no....I'm not giving out the address.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,
    Is this the GB that Lippert says is "okay" and will not void the warranty? I have the puck system and since it came from South Dakota I have the Goose neck ball and a Reese 18k 5ver hitch. Big thing I noticed is that a goose neck hitch is rated at 27k+. My rail clearance is close also, around 5 inches. Have had to use my blocks to shore up the front wheels to make the truck go under the front of the rig a couple of times. Loadmaster training came in handy well after I retired.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We chose the Goose Box (new 20k version) for our '19 F350 and '18 Solitude 310 GK, we were lucky enough to install the upgraded version. We paired the Goose Box with the B&W Gooseball kit that fits the OEM Ford Puck System.

First, installing the Goose Box was relatively easy, just be certain to have a torque wrench that goes to 250 foot lbs of torque and at least two guys to manipulate the Goose Box. We installed the Goose Box using the truck bed as a platform and lowered the camper into position with the landing gear to align the bolt holes (this made the installation go smoothly).

One of the things Reese did with the new version is eliminate the instruction to mount the Goose Box one position lower than the existing pinbox, this allows for a much better Goose Box to Wingset connection with more metal and bolts holding onto the Goose Box.

After installation, using the B&W Gooseball, we had a perfect 7" of rail clearance (6.5" at the tailgate), this is with the '19 F350 Dually, Longbed.

Pulling our 310 with the Goose Box is FANTASTIC !!

I don't have experience pulling a Standard 5th wheel setup, but, I can attest that pulling with the Goose Box is exceptionally Smooth and we rarely feel the trailer behind the truck (except for going over bridges where the road is not aligned with the roadway).

Backing up to the Goose Box is not at all difficult with practice and a roof mounted camera (ordered the entire camera package just to get that Bed Camera). If you don't have the bed camera you could use a set of those magnetic sticks they use for Travel Trailers if you are having trouble aligning the Goose Box.

Bottom Line, We LOVE the Goose Box and can't imagine using any other hitch !!!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone. I hope everyone that has contributed to this thread is still around to help answer some of my questions. I have the OEM Curt ball for '19 RAM 3500. I have noticed it is about 1-3/4" lower than the B&W ball. With using the Curt ball would it be helpful to have the Goose Box installed in the lowest mount setting to help compensate for that difference and get bed clearance? How much does the air bag system on the Goose Box lift up the unit over bed rails? Goose Box is going on a 3740BH.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KKID333 View Post
    Hello everyone. I hope everyone that has contributed to this thread is still around to help answer some of my questions. I have the OEM Curt ball for '19 RAM 3500. I have noticed it is about 1-3/4" lower than the B&W ball. With using the Curt ball would it be helpful to have the Goose Box installed in the lowest mount setting to help compensate for that difference and get bed clearance? How much does the air bag system on the Goose Box lift up the unit over bed rails? Goose Box is going on a 3740BH.

Thanks in advance!
    I have a GB 2nd Gen 20k on my 2019 3740BH-R and love it. I also use the OEM prep compatible Curt ball. Works great so far for me. I installed the GB on the set lowest set of holes that allowed 4 bolts on each side and it rides very well - level with plenty of clearance on my 2019 GMC 3500HD DRW.

Here is the Curt ball:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMO7D5C/

Used these chains:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5IX3BC/

Install was trivial and everything is working great with nearly 5k miles now. I have to back the trailer up a hill at a sharp angle to the truck to get it in my drive way, so far haven't hit anything but trees I have gone to about 90 degrees without anything touching.

The goose ball is 2 5/16" same as pretty much all travel trailers, so the service shops with a forklift typically already have the needed ball in place on the fork.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KKID333 View Post

Thanks in advance!
    The Air Bag is designed to cushion the movement of the 5th wheel as you are towning, not to lift the 5th wheel from the truck bed. The Goose Box will travel through almost all of the motion allowed with the air bag inflated. You need to measure the distance to your bed rails with the air bag deflated, any lift received as a result of inflating the air bag is just a bonus and that space will be used constantly by the movement of the Goosebox.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really curious how this setup has been over this year? Haven't seen any updates to this thread so I assume all is well. The new Goosebox looks like they fixed all the complaints about the older one.

Love the idea of getting my bed back and not lifting a 300+ pound hitch into the back of the bed whenever we need it.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Really curious how this setup has been over this year? Haven't seen any updates to this thread so I assume all is well. The new Goosebox looks like they fixed all the complaints about the older one.

Love the idea of getting my bed back and not lifting a 300+ pound hitch into the back of the bed whenever we need it.
    We've had our Gen 2 Reese GooseBox since early 2019 (only hitch/pinbox we've ever used) and have traveld from FL to AZ and back and still LOVE it !!!!
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123