User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New design Reese Goose Box

I'm hoping that this new product is the result of my conversations/gripes/pictures/dimensions/etc. that I've had with the Reese engineers over the last coupla years.

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/pi...aYyvax6qakN26Y

My main criticism of both the 16K and 20K (original) GB design was that in just about every setup I've seen - especially with trucks new than 2016 - was that in order to achieve a sufficient truck bedrail clearance to the underside of the RV, the GB had to be installed in the very last set of holes in the Lippert wingset. And in some installs, even if the GB was installed in the very last set of holes, the bedrail clearance IMHO was too little. I also relayed to them the issue of potential bedrail contact during certain turning conditions - i.e. the truck is off-camber to the RV and is in a turning position. I'm sure that doesn't make sense, but didn't wanna get all wonky describing the condition using X,Y,Z planes. But I know it's possible cause it happened to me.

I'd really like to compare the engineering drawing of this new GB to the ones that I was given for the original 16K and 20K GB. Hopefully, someone will opt for this new design and report their findings and/or experiences. Ideally, it would be cool to have both the original GB design and the new GB and install them on the same wingset on the same RV for comparison since Reese is specifying the new GB design is applicable for the same Lippert #1621 and #1716 wingsets.

Tom

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: I just did some more research on this new design and I just might get real stoopid and replace my 16K with this one for the extra features and design. For instance, the original relief valve was a POS and a Reese engineer told me to remove it and throw it away. The new design has a much improved RV. The new design has a provision for locking the coupler when in storage that mine doesn't and the air inflation indicator is much easier to read. I also like the bolt hole pattern that appears to have provisions for altering the angle of the GB relative to a level horizontal line.

WTH......I'm as good a guinea pig as anyone!!

Tom

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe "they" would offer you an upgrade discount.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really interested in this mod.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    PS: I just did some more research on this new design and I just might get real stoopid and replace my 16K with this one for the extra features and design. For instance, the original relief valve was a POS and a Reese engineer told me to remove it and throw it away. The new design has a much improved RV. The new design has a provision for locking the coupler when in storage that mine doesn't and the air inflation indicator is much easier to read. I also like the bolt hole pattern that appears to have provisions for altering the angle of the GB relative to a level horizontal line.

WTH......I'm as good a guinea pig as anyone!!

Tom
    If you do it... pictures of both before and after the swap might be real useful for others. I'm glad they are continuing to improve the design.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn’t you know! I just put the Goosebox on my 5er about a month and a half ago and now they come out with the new and improved version. ☹️ I like the upgrades. They make the Goosebox a much better product. I like where the air indicator is located, makes it easier to check at a glance, instead of having to about stick my head down into the bed to check. I looked at the installation instructions and didn’t see any mention of specific # air pressure to use. Just look at the indicator.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please edumacate me on these. What are the advantages/disadvantages with a gooseneck hitch?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in the above question as well^^^^. I understand that all is in the bed is the goose ball hitch. My add on question or comment , I have a standard fifth wheel hitch, I have more surface area contact with the trailer, if you have used both is there any difference in the tipping motion or the handling of the trailer? This is interesting to me to be able to just remove the ball and have a clean bed versus having to remove big hitch.

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the primary benefit is that you only have a little ball in the bed of your truck. Secondarily, the goose-ball is mounted low in the bed so the trailer connection point is ~12- to 14-inches closer to the truck's rear axle. This reduces the loading/unloading of the front axle as the trailer yanks back/forth on the truck over bumps. I'd speculate the ride is smoother because of this (although admittedly I have not tried a gooseneck connection yet). The ball-socket might also have less slop than the king-pin and jaws (depends on tolerances I suppose).

The biggest downsides are that the moment-arm associated with the gooseneck connection applies more torque to the trailer frame. Second, the pivot point for the pin-box is now near the base of the bed. Thus the whole pin-box travels through a larger arc and it must be shaped well to avoid bed-rail contact when the trailer and truck are not on the same plane.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I think the primary benefit is that you only have a little ball in the bed of your truck. Secondarily, the goose-ball is mounted low in the bed so the trailer connection point is ~12- to 14-inches closer to the truck's rear axle. This reduces the loading/unloading of the front axle as the trailer yanks back/forth on the truck over bumps. I'd speculate the ride is smoother because of this (although admittedly I have not tried a gooseneck connection yet). The ball-socket might also have less slop than the king-pin and jaws (depends on tolerances I suppose).

The biggest downsides are that the moment-arm associated with the gooseneck connection applies more torque to the trailer frame. Second, the pivot point for the pin-box is now near the base of the bed. Thus the whole pin-box travels through a larger arc and it must be shaped well to avoid bed-rail contact when the trailer and truck are not on the same plane.
    Well said backtrack. The only point I'd argue is the comment about the moment arm. While your statement might be true, IF the (implied increase?) torque is accounted for in the wingset to frame load path and frame flex due to torque, then there shouldn't be a problem. Hell....when I saw a bare frame I was a bit surprised that it appeared to be so "flimsy". However, I've encountered structures that were that way on purpose. I suppose not everything needs to be designed as robust as a Cat D9 dozer!! Shoot - I'm more worried about the shock load that's transmitted into the unit via that 1940's designed suspension system that has no compression & rebound dampening!!! Anyhow......

The arc issue of the original GB is an issue in my particular install (2016 Ram 3500 dually with 8' box) and I have the scar to prove it. I'm not positive, but the new design "seems" to rectify this. The only way of knowing if they've done their homework is putting the thing through a series of controlled scenarios.

What I can say is that there is virtually no chucking when hitched. I definitely know the 337 is back there (how can I not since my rearview mirror is filled with nose cap) and that presents itself as a tugging sensation mostly from the GB's vertical motion (which is well damped by the air bag & dual shock combination) - and that's only when encountering undulations or those dam expansion joints doing the ka-thump, ka-thump, ka-thump thing. I've not yet done a full 90 degree swing, but close enough that I know I can - BUT on level ground. Which was another criticism I voiced to Reese. I cannot say for sure, but the roll & pitch freedom of movement appear to be equal of a traditional 5th wheel hitch plate. Oh - and it bears mentioning that when hitching, it can be a real PITA cause you pretty much gotta be dead center with the ball under the GB coupler. I've become pretty good at it due to repetition, a bed camera (thank you RAM), and a couple of tricks, but I will admit to initially being mighty jealous of those guys that just backed up to the RV, having their hitch pin being capture by the 5th wheel plate, and BOOM.....all done.

What I cannot say is how it compares to something like a Trail-Rite or other some such traditional 5th wheel hitch that has mechanisms to quell chucking, vibration, etc. For all I know they might be better!

Is the GB (or a gooseneck system) the end all, be all - certainly not. But since my truck sees 4'x8' plywood duty and long pieces of lumber and house renovation crap going to the dump, etc., it's nice to have a smooth/clear bed. Besides, I abuse my back enough, so there's no sense in abusing it more than needed. When time comes for the wife, dogs, grandkid to take a road trip, I only have to lift about a 3 pound hitch ball and place it in the mount and I'm off to the races.

As for the suggestion that I ask Reese for some kinda pro-rated cost if I replace mine with a new one, that's not a bad suggestion. Maybe since I've been a kinda PITA about the original design, they'll say yes just to shut me up. All they can do is say "NO", right??

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast