User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    I have just recently been in contact with Autoflex who makes Trailerflex. I was looking at this project for the spring but I'm on the fence currently. Although it does seem like a good product, there are currently too many unknowns for me to fork over $4200CDN (about $3000USD). My biggest beef is that many of the pictures (the few that there are) are old photos before many iterations and changes. I've asked questions based upon some of the pictures only to be told the pictures showed old designs and the new design was different. I've been told he won't post current assembly pictures on the internet as he's worried about his patent protection and people copying the design. I've also found this is now just a parts kit with only the patent type assemblies welded. The kit is just a loose bunch of parts. One has to weld the trailering arm hangers to the trailer or use an optional track bar (either option has to be welded yourself based upon measurements he'll provide for your application). Some of the pictures allude to complete assemblies which is not the case.

In the end... still on the fence. I think its a very good design that closely mimics the big rig trailer suspension (which is proven)… just the patent holder for trailers our size is stingy at best on information which causes me concern!
    Thanks for that. I agree it does look impressive but if you can't get a reasonable bolt on kit then its a specialty mod that could cost a lot more after buying the parts. Also, not enough ppl with it to give real world results.

Firestone or Air Lift kits seem low end in comparison but I'm still considering them. I'm also wondering if 8000lb axles with disc brakes is enough though.
    2020 Solitude 372WB FBP, 3 A/C, 8000lb axles with disc brakes, 17" G rated tires
    2019 Ram 3500 LTD, 6.7L HO, SRW, Rear Air Suspension, Ram M20 hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamsparta View Post
    Thanks for that. I agree it does look impressive but if you can't get a reasonable bolt on kit then its a specialty mod that could cost a lot more after buying the parts. Also, not enough ppl with it to give real world results.
    Firestone or Air Lift kits seem low end in comparison but I'm still considering them. I'm also wondering if 8000lb axles with disc brakes is enough though.
    This is definitely not bolt on. Either you need to be good with welding or you have to have it professionally installed. On the website if you're local to them I think they quote around $2000CDN to install for a tandem. My plan was to install myself, welding and all (not a pro welder, but good enough and lots of Jeep suspension welding experience!).

There are not really any other options for full air. Sadly the guy that holds the patent till 2028 ain't doing much with it!
    Last edited by bcdiesel; 03-29-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    This is definitely not bolt on. Either you need to be good with welding or you have to have it professionally installed. On the website if you're local to them I think they quote around $2000CDN to install for a tandem. My plan was to install myself, welding and all (not a pro welder, but good enough and lots of Jeep suspension welding experience!).

There are not really any other options for full air. Sadly the guy that holds the patent till 2028 ain't doing much with it!
    But that does not stop you from making it yourself.

Looking at his patent it would be easy to fabricate this. I need something for a 25 ft 10K car hauler I have. By the time I am taxes in and shipped I am currently 6K Canadian. I will need to do a detailed take off but I am sure I would not have 1500 into fabricating it. I am a reasonable welder and have a lathe. Would be a fun first project in my new shop.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, not to throw water on this because you can spend money as you wish. However, Solitude is a humpback design. Get it off your truck and park it nose down below the limits. If you need a level set because you want it ready to camp, ramp the wheels into pits such that the hump stays below the ordinance.

Besides that, this engineer and hot rodder that's build his own frames for racing and restomods alike, I would not put a bag system on a Lippert frame with it being on a subframe. The frames aren't designed for it, and are already at the hair's limit for the stand sprung suspension with the beams used.

Dexter has a really nice air setup, but you won't find it in the RV world anytime soon.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The frames aren't designed for it, and are already at the hair's limit for the stand sprung suspension with the beams used.
    Ugh, so we tow risking the known problems of the the springs or suspension mounts breaking or, if we fix those, we risk busting the frame beams?
    There's gotta be a better answer. I can't remember the last time I heard about a suspension failure in a mass produced car or truck.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailerflex. Suspension

I have a trailer flex suspension installed on my 2022 Grand design 295RL .it was installed May 2022.The 2axle kit was $4500 Canadian ,installation another $2400 Canadian.
    My wife and I have taken our rig from Canada to Mexico and coast to coast in Canada. We put on a lot of miles since the install. I have nothing bad to say about the suspension.
    It is so nice to open cupboards and not have an avalanche of contents spill out onto the floor. Expensive?.somewhat.
    With this suspension I have noticed that the the trailer does not twist and flex compared to the leaf spring suspension. I leave my iPad on the front counter while travelling. When we stop for the night it is still sitting on the counter.
    I would recommend this product to anyone who travels a fair distance.
    Installation was quick and thorough. No repeat visits to the shop.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo55 View Post
    I have a trailer flex suspension installed on my 2022 Grand design 295RL .it was installed May 2022.The 2axle kit was $4500 Canadian ,installation another $2400 Canadian.
    My wife and I have taken our rig from Canada to Mexico and coast to coast in Canada. We put on a lot of miles since the install. I have nothing bad to say about the suspension.
    It is so nice to open cupboards and not have an avalanche of contents spill out onto the floor. Expensive?.somewhat.
    With this suspension I have noticed that the the trailer does not twist and flex compared to the leaf spring suspension. I leave my iPad on the front counter while travelling. When we stop for the night it is still sitting on the counter.
    I would recommend this product to anyone who travels a fair distance.
    Installation was quick and thorough. No repeat visits to the shop.
    This is good to know, thanks!
    Back when I was researching air suspensions, I had mostly settled on STi from Timbren, but installations on RVs were virtually unheard of. The installation was going to end up being pretty expensive, a fair amount more than MORRyde IS. I ultimately went with MORRyde, so I didn’t have a one-off, but I would still prefer air, and if this becomes more mainstream on RVs, my next one will be that way.

I believe Luxe has an air ride option now.
    Last edited by LMagelitz; 08-28-2023 at 10:47 AM.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12