Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mouse problem revisited.

Regarding the mice, we first posted this problem last year when our Solitude was new. No help from the dealership or GD. When we took a factory tour this past spring a service rep said he would come out to our campground to do a little inspection, he never showed. Long story short, we continue to have mice get in. My wife now see shadows and thinks it's another mouse. We have 5 traps around the interior with each trip and place poison blocks underneath the trailer (which I pick up when we leave). Obviously quite a hassle. We've caulked and spray foam where I see an opening, but they still manage to get in. Any help anyone? Sorry to go on and rant, we do love the camper. It's just something we never experienced before with previous, less costly campers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also had a problem with mice. I am using moth balls on the bumper and in the front compartment to try and keep them out. It has been a problem to control them with traps they seem to escape the traps they get the food and continue to thrive. I don't use poison because I don't want them to crawl in the RV and die someplace. I found some openings in the back and put steel wool in there. I never had this problem with my other trailer. I am also looking for any suggestions. I have not seen any since my last time of catching four of them with traps but it has not been in storage hardly at all. I tried looking for openings also and think I closed up any I found. This has been an awful problem and of course they can do lots of damage. Not that I have an answer for you, but at least you are not alone with this problem. I found an opening in the back corner where I could reach up into the floor of the trailer. It looks like the black covering on the outside was either torn or the mice ate through it, not sure which. I would also lke any help or suggestions on this matter. Also I do not leave any opened food boxes or such in there and anything in there is in an airtight container. I love my camper but do not like sharing it with pests.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe they are coming in through the slides last time we took ours out we could see the sun shining in at the bottom lower left corner by the fireplace
    John & Caren
    2014 Solitude 369RL #331
    2005 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Cummins & manual 6 speed

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a product that we apply at the dealership called Mouse Free.

http://www.mouse-free.com/

They guarantee to be rodent free after application. It can be done at home also...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    We have a product that we apply at the dealership called Mouse Free.

http://www.mouse-free.com/

They guarantee to be rodent free after application. It can be done at home also...
    FWIW, I called my local dealer who is listed on their web site and they told me they quit selling it after Mouse-Free did not stand behind their warranty. The dealer did say that some people like it, but they don't sell it any more since they can't stand behind it.

I don't know anything else and I'm sure other people will have different experiences.
    Last edited by SmallBoxMaker; 10-01-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify the first paragraph.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also discovered in the 376 on the back right side underneath there is a rectangular vent that vents the garage. A mouse can easily get on there and travel in between the inner and outer wall of the garage. I took the round vent in the garage and reached in and i could put aluminum screening over the rectangular vent and then went around it with mouse proof spray foam. Then I put screening on both the round vents in the garage.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallBoxMaker View Post
    FWIW, I called my local dealer who is listed on their web site and they told me they quit selling it after Mouse-Free did not stand behind their warranty. The dealer did say that some people like it, but they don't sell it any more since they can't stand behind it.

I don't know anything else and I'm sure other people will have different experiences.
    I was hoping this would be good to use. But, if it not getting backed by the company I don't think I am going to try it.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn Mega Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel 3.73 AISIN
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New RV Owner - We purchased an expensive 2021 Grand Design Solitude. I worried about mice, but the dealer said the bottom of this unit was a solid steel structure and the only place a mouse could get in was the heater vent. ( he put on a guard there Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camper 4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	36713for free LOL). We put the trailer on our 40 acres of wooded land, ( dry camping - no food or electricity) AND LOW AND BEHOLD...we have mice or a mouse - trying to catch them now and starting the process of trying to figure out how they got in. I am attempting to attach photos with hopes someone will help us rookies out... Thank you !! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camper 1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	36710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camper 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	36711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camper 3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	36712

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perkinswi View Post
    New RV Owner - We purchased an expensive 2021 Grand Design Solitude. I worried about mice, but the dealer said the bottom of this unit was a solid steel structure and the only place a mouse could get in was the heater vent. ( he put on a guard there Click image for larger version. 

ID:	36713for free LOL). We put the trailer on our 40 acres of wooded land, ( dry camping - no food or electricity) AND LOW AND BEHOLD...we have mice or a mouse - trying to catch them now and starting the process of trying to figure out how they got in. I am attempting to attach photos with hopes someone will help us rookies out... Thank you !! Click image for larger version. 

When we got a mouse, it came in through the slide drain.

Now, as a preventative measure, we use a couple of products called Mouse Free https://www.mouse-free.com and Moen's Mouse-Mix https://www.mousemix.us.

The Mouse Free gets sprayed on the under carriage one every 6 months or so. The Mouse Mix is in little baggies (that you make up and come included with the mix) that gets placed in the slide drains and is replaced every 1-2 months.

The only drawback, if you can call it that, is the camper now smells like peppermint. We don't mind it, so far...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perkinswi View Post

The critters can enter through any small opening. You'll need to seal all of the easy access points in your pictures. I've used spray foam for pests. Once those are blocked the easier access will be around the slide mechanism, the round tube with the large whole in the frame will need to be solved for. On this front Ive used thin flexible cutting boards, cut into squares with the inside trimmed to the size of the round tube. You'll need to cut 1 side to allow you to fit the cutting board remnant over the tube, from there Ive used magnets to hold it to the frame.

This approach works, I've been parked at meadows were when I am leaving in the early morning I can see mice jumping off the frame of the trailer in the rear view mirror. The pain of this is there is one more step in the way of having fun and you have to remember to rewove them. I believe I picked this up in this forum awhile a go there maybe a prior thread with pictures and more description
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast