User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

External Weather Station Thermometer Acting Weird

I bought a little weather station thingy that has 3 external thermometers on it. I set one up outside to monitor the outside temps, other two are stationed in bays to watch temps near critical water connections. This last week my outside thermometer was not responding real well. We had a huge snow dump, around 14", great for skiing.

The temp would change on the outside thermometer, but not by much. I was pretty sure it was working, just not showing much temp change. But the temps have been pretty moderate so I didn't give it much thought. Today the temps took a dive into the teens, yet the thermometer was still reading 27....

So I got out there this afternoon and found the thermometer, it was buried in about 6" of snow, no wonder it wasn't changing with ambient air temp changes, it was measuring the internal temp of the snow bank. I was always told that snow is insulative, I just never actually experienced how much.

I move the thermometer out of the snow bank and suspended in open air, it's showing a lovely 8f. Glad to see it's working.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi D2Reid,

I’ve been thinking of getting a weather station. I like the idea of multiple thermometers for the reason you mentioned. Can you tell me what weather station you have?

Thank you, Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I bought a little weather station thingy that has 3 external thermometers on it. I set one up outside to monitor the outside temps, other two are stationed in bays to watch temps near critical water connections. This last week my outside thermometer was not responding real well. We had a huge snow dump, around 14", great for skiing.

The temp would change on the outside thermometer, but not by much. I was pretty sure it was working, just not showing much temp change. But the temps have been pretty moderate so I didn't give it much thought. Today the temps took a dive into the teens, yet the thermometer was still reading 27....

So I got out there this afternoon and found the thermometer, it was buried in about 6" of snow, no wonder it wasn't changing with ambient air temp changes, it was measuring the internal temp of the snow bank. I was always told that snow is insulative, I just never actually experienced how much.

I move the thermometer out of the snow bank and suspended in open air, it's showing a lovely 8f. Glad to see it's working.
    Which one did you buy?
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying and sailing were my gateway drugs. Then I moved on to the hard stuff - personal weather stations. At our last two stix 'n brix, I had a Davis Instruments PWSs that fed data to the NWS and Weather Underground. Those "big rigs" aren't suitable for RV use, so I also have one of the three-remote Ambient Weather units that just gives me temperature and relative humidity for each station. I mounted the outside one under the overhang on the front of the rig (on the front wall of the front compartment of the fiver) for shade. It gives pretty good readings except in two situations: 1) when it's angled so that the late evening sun hits it directly (as is happening on our current site) or, 2) when I have the truck backed up under the front of the trailer to save space (the sun hits the black bed liner in the truck and makes the surrounding air warmer). I still get good readings in the basement and interior of the rig - and I can always go to Weather Underground on-line to get the real scoop. My addictions have been under control for quite a while so my wife hasn't been pushing for detox and rehab...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    My addictions have been under control for quite a while so my wife hasn't been pushing for detox and rehab...Rob
    You know how it is once the trust has been broken, it takes a long time for our spouses to quit watching for the "signs" of our addiction. My original weather station that I wanted included an anemometer that I would mount to the stairs. But my level headed wife simply pointed to the smart phone and said I was already spending too much money why would I waist $500 on a weather station. So I went with something pretty.

Hocosy Wireless Temperature

Yep, Chinese junk. But it works ok, probably won't last more than 5 years. I love the colored display. What I didn't know is the battery supply is a backup feature. If you are running on batteries alone you have to push a button on the backside to get the display to come up. It does do well keeping power to the unit while traveling, then once 120v comes back on line the display (plugged into a 120v outlet) stays on and displays continuously.

You cannot purchase replacement remote thermometers, or at least I couldn't find any when I forgot the one on the top of the tire and ran over it. Bought a second unit just so I could have back up sensors.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Flying and sailing were my gateway drugs. Then I moved on to the hard stuff - personal weather stations.
    That's pretty funny! I thought I was the only one who tracked weather/temps. I have sensors at home inside, outside, under the house and in the garage. I can monitor them online. I also have sensors inside and outside the RV and inside the fridge and freezer. I don't have full blown weather stations so I guess my addiction isn't as severe.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Acu-Rite 5 in 1 weather station at home. I would most likely get one of their other products for the RV. Parts are available from them if you break something.
    Ken

https://www.acurite.com/indoor-outdo...rs-02076m.html

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iproff1; 02-07-2019 at 11:45 PM.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the Acu-Rite brand for several years in our RVs and it worked fine for inside and outside temperatures. When I later added a TPMS system to monitor the tire pressures everything got messed up. The Acu-Rite signal interfered with the TPMS. You have to be aware of the bandwidth the two systems operate on.

I later switch to La Crosse brand weather products which operate on a different bandwidth. All is good now. Something to think about when choosing a system to use.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to have to start a twelve step program for weather nerds.

I can't count the number of el cheapo weather stations I've tossed after a year or two. I should have bought something like a Davis to begin with and been done with it.

I'd really like to find a good temperature monitor for the RV so I can keep an eye on Fang, the guard puppy, but someone suggested a camera rather than just a temp sensor. Now that we have (kind of) unlimited internet service, I'm thinking a Nest system like we have on the house might be an option.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    La Crosse for me at home and in the trailer. Have the anemometer on a marine antenna extension with my Verizon amplifier. Looks neat and works good!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast