User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    The brake controller will be installed tomorrow.

Does anyone know what HDPP on F150 exactly gets you? I know it's higher gearing, extra leafs, LT tires, and upgraded transmission cooler. Anything else?
    luke79 - See this thread and the attachment to post 93 which is from the 2018 F150 Sales Brochure.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...140#post196140

Your V8 won't have the pulling power of the Ecoboost turbocharged V6 . . . but it will still get the job done.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-08-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    luke79 - See this thread and the attachment to post 93 which is from the 2018 F150 Sales Brochure.

Your V8 won't have the pulling power of the Ecoboost turbocharged V6 . . . but it will still get the job done.

Rob
    I can't get to the attachment, I see the image that the attachment is there, but can't download it. Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to do anything about the payload capacities on my truck right now. We'll live with the vehicle for now, and upgrade to a better truck (f250) if need arises.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    The F150 apparently no longer uses relays. That went away in 2015 model years (saw it on another forum), but I'll double check with the dealer.
    I spoke with the Ford dealer earlier today and he said that the 7pin plug should trickle charge the battery on the travel trailer by default. There is no relay or fuse that needs to be put in. He will also confirm this directly with Ford.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnub View Post
    my 2006 Silverado (5.7l) 1500 tows our 2400bh no problem. That being said, pulling a grade you can tell it is back there.
    Your 06 Silverado is a PFI (port fuel injected) engine and is surely capable of handling the 2400BH. The newer SIDI (spark ignition, direct injection) engines make much higher torque at lower RPM and in most cases will not be running high RPM as in the old days. For instance my 2015 5.3L SIDI makes very similar torque to the GM 6.0L PFI engine. Demographics will dictate what final drive will work best, but I would not be changing final drives if I live in Michigan and may travel out west once or twice during the time I own my current truck. The OPs truck is fine as is for the 2400BH where the "nice to have" items can always be added as time and money allow.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't get to the attachment, I see the image that the attachment is there, but can't download it. Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to do anything about the payload capacities on my truck right now. We'll live with the vehicle for now, and upgrade to a better truck (f250) if need arises.
    I changed the format of the attachment. (It is just a screenshot of the HDPP info from the 2018 F150 sales brochure)

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brochure HDPP Info.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Actually, the pull package on F-150 is not a higher gear ratio, you already have that. You want a low gear ratio. The bigger the # the lower the ratio the more the engine can spin & pull the trailer.
    If this 150 did not come with a brake controller per installed. Its set up for highway driving not trailer pulling. That's just a fact. Also is the truck set up to charge the battery on the trailer? I doubt it. Something you might want to look into. good luck
    Actually the higher the number, the higher the ratio. The misnomer occurs when folks tie in "low gear" as in a transmission which is actually a high ratio for first gear and a numerically high number. So a 3.23:1 is a lower ratio than a 3.73:1.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Actually the higher the number, the higher the ratio. The misnomer occurs when folks tie in "low gear" as in a transmission which is actually a high ratio for first gear and a numerically high number. So a 3.23:1 is a lower ratio than a 3.73:1.

what? All I know in the rear end gearing 430 gears is a lower gear than a 373. And a 355 300 to 1 is a higher gear. I wasn't talking about his transmission gears. At least that is the way that we do it here in Colorado. My f-250 carries 430 to 1 gears. If I switch to 373 gears in the rear end the truck will be higher geared down the hwy and not pull as well. But deliver better mileage when empty with 373 gears. I have been doing this a long time. The bigger # the lower the gear. Had a 68 CJ5 when I was kid 488 rear end gears which is much lower than 327 gears in my world.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what? All I know in the rear end gearing 430 gears is a lower gear than a 373. And a 355 300 to 1 is a higher gear. I wasn't talking about his transmission gears. At least that is the way that we do it here in Colorado. My f-250 carries 430 to 1 gears. If I switch to 373 gears in the rear end the truck will be higher geared down the hwy and not pull as well. But deliver better mileage when empty with 373 gears. I have been doing this a long time. The bigger # the lower the gear. Had a 68 CJ5 when I was kid 488 rear end gears which is much lower than 327 gears in my world.
    Russ,
    Get out your calculator and divide 3.73 by 1. Then divide 4.30 by 1. Let me know which number is higher. This would be the numerically higher ratio gear. Many times lower gear is referred to as a high numerical ratio. In engineering terms, we use high ratios as what you refer to as low gear. For pinion to ring gear count the higher the ring gear tooth count to the lower pinion count can be referred to as a lower gear.
    Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 02-10-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Russ,
    Get out your calculator and divide 3.73 by 1. Then divide 4.30 by 1. Let me know which number is higher. This would be the numerically higher ratio gear. Many times lower gear is referred to as a high numerical ratio. In engineering terms, we use high ratios as what you refer to as low gear. For pinion to ring gear count the higher the ring gear tooth count to the lower pinion count can be referred to as a lower gear.
    Jim
    Jim,
    In the real world we don't need a calculator. And I don't care how engineers do it. If you want pull gears, 430-410-373's- 355 maybe. That's how people in the real world do it. By the way the lower the gear ratio the weaker the pinon gear, less metal.
    Russ
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    In the real world we don't need a calculator. And I don't care how engineers do it. If you want pull gears, 430-410-373's- 355 maybe. That's how people in the real world do it. By the way the lower the gear ratio the weaker the pinon gear, less metal.
    Russ
    Russ,
    The reason a numerically high ratio is referred to as low gear comes from long ago when low gear produced low vehicle speeds. In the transmission world, low gears had a lower number. For this reason and why this drives confusion we use ratios. The higher the ratio, the lower the output speed. So in terms of output speed a higher ratio could be called low gear. To avoid these discussions in engineering we refer to ratios where we calculate final output speed and distance traveled based on engine speed though the available ratio and tire diameter. So as trucks are rated at higher towing capacity the ratio becomes numerically higher.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast