User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SO did any of you Californian's verify if this applies to "out of State" / "out of country" drivers?

I was told by the Ontario Ministry of transport that the driving reqs are reciprocal amongst all of the provinces and states with the exception of road regulations such as weights and triples. But its always nice to have it confirmed by others.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't feel like the Government is singling you Californians out with those crazy regs. In the Province of Ontario, all pick-up trucks are classified commercial, although you don't have to follow any of the commercial practices if its for personal use. Not too bad but read on.

1) When you get to the size of a RAM 3500 (long bed or Mega Cab or similar TV) you are just shy of 23FT but, its weight puts you into the truck category requiring annual "commercial safety" test @ $120/yr.
    2) The "No Truck" signs apply to trucks over 23FT so you can still drive your RAM unless you have your tail gate down, a longer load, or even just a tow bar in your receiver as that puts you over 23FT!
    3) Driving with a utility trailer or any trailer other than a camper attached, again puts you over 23FT so you have to stay off those Truck prohibited routes.
    4) Attaching a utility trailer, even if it has no brakes, needs an annual safety because its being pulled by a "safetied" TV (another $100/yr) - cha-ching!
    5) Connecting your camper trailer (fifth wheel or tow behind) changes your RAM truck to an "RV" and now you DON'T need a safety and can drive on roads prohibiting trucks. But unhook your camper and "presto", your a truck again! So if you never drive your TV without the trailer your good, but you always do when your at your destination so you need it (its that reciprocity thing - works both ways: allowances & restrictions).
    6) Your camper trailer can only exceed the max weight of 10,100 Lbs if it's a fifth wheel and only if it has 2 axles (within the max 24,000 LBS GCW). If your 5er has 3 axles or if you have a tow-behind trailer, your out of luck, and need to bump your licence up to an "A" \. Good thing the Momentum has 2 axles!
    7) Exceeding any of these, requires a class "A" tractor trailer licence (with air brake exception) which is an additional written test, annual medical, and a driving test with your TV & RV.

But if you drive a motor home, your classed at "0 LBs" weight and exempt from all of the BS above. For retirees, an annual medical could be a problem so motor home has a serious advantage! I kinda wished, I knew of these regs before I bought my TV & RV because I would have given more serious consideration to buying a motor home.

The RV dealers don't tell you about these rules and many of the DMV personnel and Ministry of Transport personnel are not clear on the rues either.

Its the fun of RVing
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by Knshook View Post
    We just went through this because our Reflection's GVWR was more than 10,000. My husband made appointment with both DMV and Highway Patrol,so he would have all the facts correct. These are the facts in CA: if you tow a 5th wheel that has a GVWR over 10,000 lbs but not more than 15,000 GVWR you must have a license that includes an "Endorsement" If you don't have that endorsement and you are in an accident you may find that your insurance won't cover damages,and you will be cited by CHP. And here is the important part and where HP helped us more than DMV......a lot of DMV clerks are not aware of this law and may give you inaccurate info.If they tell you you don't need it they are mistaken. It is in the DMV book of regulations for towing but you must read entire section on 5th wheel requirements to get to endorsement section. CHP and insurances know about it -even if DMV clerks are foggy and ignorance of the law for the person towing is not an acceptable excuse.
    This is what is required for the drivers license with "endorsement" - you have to take a regular drivers test for a Class C license, unless you took one within last year. You must also take a second test, which is the one that asks questions about your knowledge of RV rules of the road. My DH got the booklet- for RV rules of the road-ahead of time,and studied the booklet before taking the test. He said it wasn't difficult and for the most part contained questions that any person towing a 5th wheel would know,but he was glad he studied. He made appointment, took the test. He passed. They took his picture, took his money for new license (33.00 ) and told him they would mail this new license. If you drive in CA but live in another state that doesn't require this endorsement you are fine,it's only if your state requires it.
    Just to stress - some DMV clerks were confused about this law. We knew that ahead of time so DH took rules for towing 10,000-15,000 GVWR with him. They saw it in black and white. They had to find a person in DMV who knew what to do and that is how they proceeded from there. We live in small town so perhaps clerks in larger office are more knowledgeable about this law. One way or another ....whether they know about it or not, it is the law! And the person responsible for towing has to know that! Hope this helps anyone in CA. Very glad we checked with CHP and insurance! One last thing...you don't have to take a driving test...just written test.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Called Sacrament CHP and they gave me the run-around about needing it or not. I took the California drivers hand book to Martinez CHP and they said they had never seen one but to go back and request the endorsement from DMV. After a very long discussion DMV in Concord turned me away. I then took my Book and determination to DMV in Pittsburg and they had issued one before ! I repeat one. I took the 4 minute test and They put a little sticker on your license. DMV had a hard time finding the sticker as they did not know where they were kept.. BUT they found it and I HAVE IT!!!! Wife who is an insurance agent is very Happy :-)
    Antioch, California
    2014 Reflection 337.#55
    Pull Rite Super Glide Hitch
    Ford 2012 F250 6.7 Diesel Lariat CC 4X4
    Transfer Flow 50 Gal. Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, getting the Non-Commercial Class A License was quite an ordeal, but it's done! First trip to Lodi DMV was 2hrs. Not one person had heard of it. My husband printed the pages w/necessary info but still they didn't get it. So after 2 hrs, he had taken the general test and the non commercial Class A test and passed. :-). Step 2 - health questionnaire completed by his doctor, done! Step 3 - schedule driving test. This was done after a 25 min. Conversation on the phone. Closest office is in Stockton. Arrive in Stockton at scheduled time only to be told that he was registered for a "right to drive" exam, not the driving test. Grrr. He was on the waiting list and finally test started 2 hrs after we arrived. Examiner asked how much the truck weighed and decided since total trailer/truck weight was over 26,000 lbs., he needed a commercial license. Grrr. After another 1/2 hr discussion w/supt. the driving test started. He passed! Step 4 - issue license. Oh no, once back inside NO ONE knew what to do! Grrrr. So they decided he had to take the commercial written test. OMG, I thought he was going to explode. Took the test and failed, of course! Stormed out and on way home I read the commercial manual which clearly stated he was exempt from the commercial and needed a non commercial. Grrr. So we stopped back by Lodi on way home hoping for some help (not going back to Stockton or someone might have gotten hurt, lol). There happen to be a CHP officer there and wa-la a Non Commercial Class A license was issued. It only took a total of 8+ hrs. Doing the right thing isn't always the easiest! Sorry for the long post, but found the whole process funny, frustrating and just plain stupid! Good luck fellow Californians!
    Jeff & Cathy K - Dayton, NV
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 384GK #TBD
    2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD 4x4 SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Jeff and Cathy what a mess, glad it's over and done with. Crazy the very people you are supposed to go to get this done haven't got a clue. It's like that all over the place goes to show we really need to do our own homework now a days.
    Lostincanada and Jahna
    AKA Derek and Tatjana plus our pups Shadow and Nani
    2012 Ram 2500
    2015 Reflection 337
    Hailing from Southern Ontario Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test is so simple I do not understand why we need it. The hard part was getting someone at DMV to find the test and the sticker to put on my Drivers License.
    Antioch, California
    2014 Reflection 337.#55
    Pull Rite Super Glide Hitch
    Ford 2012 F250 6.7 Diesel Lariat CC 4X4
    Transfer Flow 50 Gal. Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahna View Post
    Wow Jeff and Cathy what a mess, glad it's over and done with. Crazy the very people you are supposed to go to get this done haven't got a clue. It's like that all over the place goes to show we really need to do our own homework now a days.
    So true and the reason we wanted to let other CA drivers know about our experience was we were told it could be a real issue if driver has an accident while towing-and insurance companies can use it against paying a claim if driver isn't in compliance with law. Just didn't want to put that to the test ��
    "It's the journey that matters-not the destination."
    Ken & Suzi
    2013 2500HD Silvarado Duramax
    2015 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh great I need to get to the Lodi DMV tomorrow as I have had my Solitude for 2 months now. Thanks for bringing this up on a current post..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Vernon & Karen Anderson
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 397TH
    VIN 573FM4537K1113023
    2022 Chevrolet High Country 3500HD 4X4 DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

C130TN
    Class A Exempt (non commercial) is required in Texas also if it's over a certain weight. I did mine back earlier this year and there's a very long, detailed thread over on the Keystone forum regarding the requirements and owners experiences. Lots of information on California requirements also which seem to be more stringent on the driving test. In Texas there's one chapter the written test comes from and the manual can be downloaded for free.

I drove my truck and trailer to the driving test, but in some states you are supposed to have a buddy or hire someone with the license to drive it to the test facility. I asked about it while doing the written test and was told to just drive it there and it wouldn't be an issue. For those in Texas, trailers over a certain weight also have to have a yearly inspection. It's been that way for years but only in 2015 was the state able to track it. I was required to show proof before doing the driving test. Overall, not difficult, just a pain to take the time to do it. But, according to several who did it in California, the driving portion was a major pain and much more difficult.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    Wow, getting the Non-Commercial Class A License was quite an ordeal, but it's done! First trip to Lodi DMV was 2hrs. Not one person had heard of it. My husband printed the pages w/necessary info but still they didn't get it. So after 2 hrs, he had taken the general test and the non commercial Class A test and passed. :-). Step 2 - health questionnaire completed by his doctor, done! Step 3 - schedule driving test. This was done after a 25 min. Conversation on the phone. Closest office is in Stockton. Arrive in Stockton at scheduled time only to be told that he was registered for a "right to drive" exam, not the driving test. Grrr. He was on the waiting list and finally test started 2 hrs after we arrived. Examiner asked how much the truck weighed and decided since total trailer/truck weight was over 26,000 lbs., he needed a commercial license. Grrr. After another 1/2 hr discussion w/supt. the driving test started. He passed! Step 4 - issue license. Oh no, once back inside NO ONE knew what to do! Grrrr. So they decided he had to take the commercial written test. OMG, I thought he was going to explode. Took the test and failed, of course! Stormed out and on way home I read the commercial manual which clearly stated he was exempt from the commercial and needed a non commercial. Grrr. So we stopped back by Lodi on way home hoping for some help (not going back to Stockton or someone might have gotten hurt, lol). There happen to be a CHP officer there and wa-la a Non Commercial Class A license was issued. It only took a total of 8+ hrs. Doing the right thing isn't always the easiest! Sorry for the long post, but found the whole process funny, frustrating and just plain stupid! Good luck fellow Californians!
    I too had this same experience. Had to argue with them to give me a Non-commercial class A. Got everything from "you don't need it" to "we have no idea how to do that." Esshhhh They would only listen when I showed them the DMV info in black and white, and like you, they then had to find someone that sorta knew what to do.

Finally after 3 months of apts. and hours of waiting in the office, I had it.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast