User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Travis4757

Bye forest river hello grand design!!!!!

Hello from sc. I currently own my second forest river and must say I'm super excited to try the grand design line. The first forest river was junk. Walls coming apart, water leaks, and warranty was a joke. Took it in with 5 issues, picked it up with fifteen!! Not too mention there was a huge hole in the front Cone. Asked what happened and service guy chuckled and said we ran a forklift through it. Wow!! Anyway we just purchased a new club car golf cart and want to start hauling it so we jumped into toyhauler shopping. We are in love with the momentum 380th. It's so elegant inside, love the huge kitchen. Our hesitation is weight. Being that I just bought a 250 with 6.7 diesel. I currently pull a 40 fifth and it feels like a popup behind my truck. The weight difference is about 1000 more pounds. I have air bags on the truck to keep it level. Spoke with a tec at dealership and he said he pulls them all the time and my truck will have no problem with it. Anybody towing a 380th with 3\4 ton truck.? I know a one ton would be ideal but I just got this truck and really can't upgrade if we are going to trade in our camper. Please help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend taking your current truck, loaded as if you were going on a trip, to the nearest CAT Scale and find out what your current weights are. Then you can start to figure out if you can handle a pin weight in excess of 3000 pounds and pull the rest of the trailer weight.

You might find these notes helpful too...

http://www.momentumgunner.com/towing_notes.html
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Travis4757
    Thanks for reply gunner. My truck rated at 4000lbs. Payload. Hitch is also rated at 4000lbs. Pin weight. 18000 tow rating. So I'm not to concerned with that. Also we are ordering our unit without the generator. So that should lighten up the pin weight. My current camper is right at 15k loaded. With pin weight of 3000. I figure with no genset and a golf cart in the rear the pin weight should be no prob. Guess I just want to hear someone is pulling a 380 with a new 3\4 ton truck and it handles fine. 90% of the camping we do is bout a hour from home and all flat roads. Distant trips we will be leaving our cart home.

Travis4757
    Gunner, does the gvw of the momentum which is 19500 include the pin weight? Should I deduct the pin weight from the gvw? The 380 is 2950 pin weight.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the GD family. 4000 payload in a 3/4 truck. That is much more than I have in my F350. Awesome!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club, Travis. We recently bought a 380TH 2 axle and it was a bit much nose weight for my 3500 SRW. Only trailer that has ever squatted that truck in the rear. I mean like Chebby low rider squat with nothing in the back of the truck or trailer. Had we loaded up the rear of the trailer it would of helped some but not enough, IMO.

If you go with the 3 axle trailer it will throw weight differently and pick some of the pin weight off the nose. Still will be pretty heavy for a 3/4 ton but you might get by with a heavy load in the rear of the trailer. Will need to max tire/wheel weight capacity to handle the weight - check Rickson's website for ideas.

We knew we were upgrading trucks with this new trailer so it wasn't a big deal but we picked up the trailer before our truck came off the assembly line so we did haul it around a bit on the way home. Pulled fine but we were on the bump stops pretty often. I would of needed to go to Airbags and Ricksons 19.5" wheels and tires if I were keeping the SRW.

As much as I despise dually pickups it totes this trailer like a boss! Just can't play in the dirt anymore lest I end up stuck like a beached whale..... But we really like the 380TH so it was a good trade off in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, I'd recommend that you look at http://www.momentumgunner.com/towing_notes.html to see how pulled and carried weight affect each other.

Keep in mind your payload includes EVERYTHING in the truck, you, wife, kids, dogs, tools, food, whatever you have added to it. Weigh it loaded for a trip, and see what you really have left.

Our 385TH has a listed pin weight of 3300. Measured it came out to 3640 on the way home from the dealer. 380TH pin weigh is listed just shy of 3000. It will be more too. If you leave the golf cart out on a trip, you will have even more pin weight.

I know you want someone to tell you it's OK. You might find someone that says they will pull one with a 3/4 ton truck. Functionally it will NOT be safe, and legally it would be very financially risky. You may never have a problem, but what happens on your worst day when an idiot in a smart car pulls out in front of you? Can your 3/4 ton safely manage (control, maneuver, and stop) that load?
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Travis4757
    According to Ford my vin number shows fifth wheel payload at 3900lbs.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Welcome to the GD family. 4000 payload in a 3/4 truck. That is much more than I have in my F350. Awesome!
    I was thinking the same thing!

Travis, are you going off what the brochure says for your payload weight? Or does your door sticker actually show 4000lb payload weight? You may want to check. My F350 is only good to 3265lbs. Granted it's an older 2010 model....

2016 Momentum 350M (w/Goodyear G614 tires matched perfect and staggered special!)
    2010 Ford F350 Lariat 6.4L PowerStroke 4x4 CrewCab SRW
    PullRite SuperGlide 20k hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Travis4757
    I tend to set my trailer brakes high to use the camper to stop the truck. Figure with tri axles there will be 6 brakes instead of four. Our option was the 388 which is lighter but we are going back to a queen bed instead of the king our unit now has. And several other things we don't want like the awning coming out over the slide. Makes no sense. The slide takes up all your shade. We really want the 380 just don't want to bite off more than we can chew. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast