Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driver License for at least CA

I make this entry not knowing if it has been discussed previously. I have a 2015, Solitude 379FL with a 16,000 GVWR. I saw a discussion about drivers licenses in California. I checked and found that anyone towing a fifth wheel in excess of 15,000 GVWR must have at a minimum a Non-Comercial Class A drivers license. Me being a chicken sh@#, am in the process of acquiring that license.

If you have a fifth wheel with a 15,000 GVWR or less, you only need your normal Class C license. What do you risk if caught with a rig heavier than the 15,000 GVWR.... I don't know. Getting the Non-Commercial Class A license is a bit of a hassle but not difficult. Besides having to take a written (computer) test, you will have to take a driving test as well. I am scheduled for my driving test in early October, so we will see.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many states have special requirements when you start reaching certain weights or lengths. This website provides a good summary:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Jim

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JJBrown,

just FYI, when I did mine the guy who did my pre-drive inspection & test was VERY picky and wanted lots of detail as I described my "inspection." Literally touch and describe in excruciating detail what you are looking for and what you are doing. I had to keep reminding him that I own the rig so I already know it doesn't have any welds on the wheels, proper fluid in the brake master cylinder, etc. (I think he was giving me the class A commercial inspection procedures)

I hope you don't have to go through all that, but my point is don't take the inspection or driving test too lightly... He even tried to deduct points during the driving test for changing lanes when he had not instructed me to do so. (there was a tree over hanging the road so I moved over to avoid it) He finally agreed that my rig was tall enough it probably would have hit the tree.

Good luck

EDIT: PS. I believe it is also important to have the proper license in case of an accident. It could get ugly w/ LE and Ins.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JJBrown, it really depends on who pulls you over. If you get Chippy that the book is only written in black or white, then he's going to impound your rig until someone with the proper license can drive it. If you get someone who operates in the gray area, he's going to cite you and tell you to get the proper endorsement. It's a gamble. I would venture to say that 90% of the time as long as your obeying traffic laws and not doing anything stupid, they're not going to pull you over just to make sure your endorsements are in order. If you're speeding, or doing something stupid, then you're just increasing the odds. Of course, that's all negated if you're in accident out of class.

Jim - Was the guy at the DMV kinda skinny, tall, and had a big bushy mustache?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curtis, no. Short, heavy w/ mustache. Nice guy, just picky. (of course everyone is short to me)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounded like the guy I had to do my Class A CDL with.

2020 Momentum 351M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what to plan for. I am in Lancaster, CA and report with my rig to a small parking lot and walk over to the license office to check in, a block away. It seems awfully odd that you would drive, in my case some 15 miles, to a small lot in the middle of town and then besides backing into a slot and go for a drive down city streets to freeway drive. This could take a couple of hours, at least. Trip prep sounds like it could also be a long drawn out affair. It is like you are going to a location and picking up an unknown vehicle to tow and unknown trailer. Can't wait to explain why I have G rated tires on the rig instead of the E rated tires that the rig calls for. This isn't going to be fun. Wonder what happens if you fail. Do they have you drop the rig and come back another day to test again. This hassle is quickly sounding like a pain in the a@#. Thanks for the information guys. Wish me luck.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically someone with a "proper" license drove you there. If you fail you just have to do it again.

The 379 is a long rig like mine so the "camp site parking" will be a PIA. I finally had to show the guy that my over all vehicle length and the tail swing were physically too long to make the turn in the allotted space. He cut me some slack.

If they go by the book, you have to back into a 12 ft wide space without crossing any of the border edges and the "road" in front of the space is about 30 ft. wide. The main problem is you can't cut the corner or let the rear go past the opposite side boarder. (hope that made sense)

You will also have to stop once in the space with the tail of your rig within a 3 ft. space. I was lucky the sun was directly to the side so the shadow was exactly were I could use it for my backing distance.

Good luck!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

njmurvin
    I believe there is also a special endorsement required for CA drivers towing 5th wheels between 10K lbs and 15k lbs GVWR. It's an endorsement to the class C license. To quote the CA DMV Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook ... "A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct, and have never noted that until you said something. How I love you, California...

2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast