User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Entry Door Locks

Today I went to pick up my camper and was not able to unlock the door. They key goes in but it will not turn. Tried lubricating the lock and wiggling the key gently trying to get it to catch. I only have the deadbolt locked because I store it away from home and don't like leaving it unlocked. I called the dealer and they said use lubrication which I have already done. Let it set for a while and kept trying but with no success. I am a little disappointed in my Solitude the last few months, I have had several problems. It is only 1 1/2 years old and I have always taken very good care of it. Had tire issues, gas regulator, and now the door locks in the last few months. Also the molding is coming down from the ceiling, attempted to put it back up but it does not meet. Seems like it warped but that is a small problem. I really hoped that buying a new RV meant a few less issues but I am not so sure now. Was just wondering if anybody had any idea how I might get the lock working, or would it be best just to call a locksmith. I had reservations today and already lost money and would like to start my trip tomorrow if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I cannot transport it to the dealer because when storing it I left the fridge open and I do not want to travel and do any damage to the fridge. I still really like my Solitude but hope I don't continue to have problems all the time because I would like to live in my Solitude full time in the future.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your problems...seems like calling in a locksmith may be your only solution. Yours wasn't part of the lock recall where you can remove the key in other than the vertical/neutral position?

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your lock problem Debby. I too had a lock problem while we were on our 4300 mile road trip back in April. We were locked out and had to call a locksmith at midnight. Ours was the lock in the handle, they finally got it opened $84 later. We too were out of warranty, my wife called GD's customer service and to our surprise they mailed us out a complete new lock assembly for it...
    I can't say enough good things about their customer service. I hope they'll take care of it for you too.
    Jim and Kerry
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2016 Silverado 3500HD
    Diesel/Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Debby, We got locked out of our Reflection. Both locks were acting up. The dealer gave it a lubrication instead of replacing it and it worked fine until a few months later when I got LOCKED IN while I was alone at the campsite last time we went out.
    A bad lock is a bad lock. Have both replaced (if one failed the other will too eventually) and make sure you don't get the same key #

There are some locks out there that were not part of the recall that have the exact issues but have a different nameplate but same lock #s on them and I think the GD locks are in that category.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had problems with our door locks from day one! Tried lubrication but that didn't help. Had to push the door in (around the lock area) in order to get the door locked or unlocked. (Dealer's idea of a fix.) That's quite a trick to do when you have your hands full!

Then we discovered that the door appears to be warped. The door closes flush at the top and bottom but bulges out at the handle area. With all the pushing and shoving that we have to do to get the door to close securely sometimes the catch moves and it has to be put back in place and screwed in tightly. Grr!

We're hoping that GD will be able to fix it for good at the Rally in September.

Kathy
    Jim and Kathy Marker - Ramona, Ca.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1277 (AKA - "Tudee")
    2014 3500 Ram Laramie HD Dually Crew Cab 4x4 -6.7 Cummins with Aisin Tranny (AKA - "Big Foot")
    50 gal Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
    Curt Q24 Hitch
    2002 2500 Chevy LB HD Duramax Crew Cab- Retired
    EEZRV TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...tesMap_1_1.gif
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...ovincesMap.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got the door opened. After finally getting it opened I checked the locks and neither one of them will turn so I just closed the door and hope for the best. I don't want to take another chance in locking the door because I have to leave this Friday for another month trip. I just will not be able to lock the door. Hope I can get it fixed at the rally. Already talked to the dealer and he told me if I had any trouble getting the situation remedied to let him know. I just wish they would fix things the first time instead of a quick fix. I hate leaving the door unclocked but have no choice. Sent Grand Design an email, waiting to hear back. I also had problems with this lock from day one and the answer is always lubrication. I have enough lubrication on mine it started running down the door. I also have to push on my door especially if it is humid outside. The dealer fixed it once and it worked for a few months and then acted up again and now I think its dead. I think they should have just replaced it to begin with. I leave my mom's dog in the RV a lot it would be awful if he was inside and I could not get the door opened. I am hoping the door will stay closed while in transit will have to keep a close eye on it. I put the handle across it so that should help. I agree a bad lock is a bad lock.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have a problem with the door locks but the compartment locks are terrible. There is no way GD or the dealer ever tried to put a key in there and actually lock the lock. I put graphite in them and they were fine for a few weeks. Starting to act up again. Lubrication isn't the fix. Must be using some really cheap locks. Hopefully they address this at the rally.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have problems with my compartment locks too. One lock the key won't even go in all the way so it cannot be locked. The other 2 locks take a little struggle to get the key in or out.
    Joe - Dallas, Texas
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD has heard of this before, There should be a recall!

Feb - http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...-Shakeout-trip

July - http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...5001#post15001
    Floyd - Lake Tenkiller, OK (and occasionally Okla City)
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #9
    2020 Transend Xplor 221RB
    2016 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/HDPP and MaxTow