Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New truck

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Government Motors person that's a whole other discussion on its own, Fords have issues with their transmission, hard to find Ram 3500 on car lots that I like. Laramie start around 60K more than what I want to spend and the entry level start around 42K but are pretty plain, Used with around 60K miles are around 35K so at that point you might as well buy a new new one. frustrating...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1379 View Post
    Not a Government Motors person that's a whole other discussion on its own, Fords have issues with their transmission, hard to find Ram 3500 on car lots that I like. Laramie start around 60K more than what I want to spend and the entry level start around 42K but are pretty plain, Used with around 60K miles are around 35K so at that point you might as well buy a new new one. frustrating...
    Interesting. That's the first I've heard of any trans issues with Ford. What year(s), truck and trans are you talking about?
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Andy, I thought maybe you were going to jump on that

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve and Cill View Post
    Andy, I thought maybe you were going to jump on that

Steve
    Dang right! I just saw the recall on certain 2015 Super Dutys for a "calibration" issue. Other than that, I think we're good.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are on the right track. I over bought my first diesel truck. A 2006 F350 King Ranch. It was on the lot with 60 month no interest, (about an $8k savings back then). I ran it 160K miles before I sold it in 2012. Got a 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 in late 2011.

Just sold it in July and going back to a Ford F450. I did have an extended warranty on the Ram. It had a few problems - none major. All in all a good truck - just too much truck. It was a hard ride and very noisy. Towing was excellent.

I’m getting a F450 stripper, (low optioned). I don’t need a truck to drive around town in - just to tow the fifth wheel.

At the end of the day there was not enough difference between the Ford and Ram. I would rather buy from an American company this time around.

overpolished
    The problem with GM right now is max tow is 23,100..... they should spend less time on fancy LED rings around the headlights and more time on capability IMO

From direct experience you will be able to get a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 gears, 850lb ft (Highest Output) Cummins with Aisin, Laramie, Crew Cab, 4x4, 8.4AN (Navigation), 220 AMP Alternator, Transfer Case skid plate, In Bed/Cargo Camera, Sliding rear window, 5th wheel prep, etc, etc... for under $55k.

Remember that in 2013 Ram dramatically upped their towing capability.

NHSeasonal

I'm with you there. I prefer dealing with non bail out companies when I can!

Allang17
    We have towed 5th wheels for years now, dual wheels are the only way to go. IF you had a blow out with single wheel just think about your family and how that trailer could throw that truck around like a rag doll. Not worth the risk.. We see several deserter each year with trailers and trucks that are to small... I think it is a joke some people like to brag that they are pulling a 16,000lb trailer with a 350 or 2500 rated for Max 15,000lbs. It's not that you can haul it, it's that you can stop it or handle it when something goes wrong. It is a topic for another forum but watch any Ford with a 6.0 Diesel, they are all junk (and I'm a ford guy) and if you pull a trailer of any size it will not last... We now have a 2014 3500 Dodge, 30,000lb rating.. Fully loaded for $51,000... best truck made for the money... pulling a 42' Redwood (my son) and I use a single axel Freightliner to pull the new GD Momentum 380 we just purchased... Be safe

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hears where we disagree.
    First the Ford engine is a 6.7 not a 6.0. They were discontinued back in 2008. The 6.0 did have it’s problems, so did the pre 2012 DODGE RAM 2500 Diesel, (it made Consumer Reports top 10 worst built cars for 2012).

I had a 2013 Ram, (and here is where we need to be clear - it’s not a Dodge Ram, just a Ram truck - Dodge is the car brand) - Not a bad truck, but just to much truck. It made you feel like you were in an old time truck. Just too rough for my taste. If I was a retired truck driver I would love it.

I’m back in a 2015 F450.

We do agree with the need for a dually. I see people pulling 13-16K fifth wheels with a single wheel back end. It’s just too dangerous.

I’m confused with the 30,000lb rating on the Ram truck. You could only use that rating if you have a commercial license. The combined weight for a trailer and truck has to be less than 26,000lb. Anything over needs a CDL. I guess thats why in all of the Ram commercials when they flash the rating on the screen the truck is not on a highway.

Make sense to me.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son is the head mechanic in a garage and he loves chrysler products. Because of all the money he makes off them from breaking down all the time.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast