Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New truck

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good points and good ideals, here is my situation, I'm having a hard time justifying 55K + for a new diesel truck, We go camping maybe 3 or 4 times a year, usually about a 4 to 6 hrs drive from home, the most I haul in a truck is a Costco run, my truck is primarily used as too and from work, I found a nice Ram 3500 gas fully loaded Laramie Package for 44K, now I know the diesel has twice as much torque from 400 to 800, that's the only thru difference, the maintenance is also more expensive on the diesel's and with the price of diesel always going up in the long run I cant buy a lot of gas to make up a difference of 12K. does anyone use a Gas powered to tow a fifth wheel or know someone and what's their opinion? we are towing a new Solitude fifth wheel

overpolished
    oh boy here we go with brand wars.... a properly sized diesel rig from Chevy(GMC), Ford, Ram will all perform just fine.

overpolished
    Paul here is your gas truck towing capacity. There are differences that go beyond motor specs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ram 3500 Dually64.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	778

Here is the same truck equipped with the high output Cummns and Aisin transmission.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ram 3500 Dually67.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	779

If the capacity of the gasser meets your towing capacity needs and you are not concerned with pulling hills slower then this may be a great option. You can get a loaded Laramie diesel for under $55k.

overpolished
    Maybe I missed what Solitude you bought... if a 320X... then you are right at the top of the gas trucks capabilities. Remember towing capacities come down for passengers and gear in the truck. If you bought any of the other Solitude models you would be overweight. Good luck finding a tow vehicle and be safe.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1379 View Post
    does anyone use a Gas powered to tow a fifth wheel or know someone and what's their opinion?
    I'm towing with a gas V10 and though I haven't had the combo over the scales I expect that the loaded camper weight will be around 12200#...trucks rated for 14500#. The V10 gets 8 - 8.5 mpg towing, 12 - 14 non towing depending whether it's city/hwy...no issues getting it up to speed. We spent May/June in the Appalachian Mtns of WV, VA, NC and it handled the uphill grades OK...loses speed on the long grades on I64/I77...I just set in 3rd @ 3200 (peak torque) which is around 45 mph and relax. All I was wishing for was the diesel exhaust brake for some steep, long downhill grades. I looked for a diesel same year/options and they're about $12K more than what mine's worth with twice the mileage on them. Well $12K will buy lots of gas, so I'm staying with the gas V10 for now.

Unfortunately, a Solitude will weigh at least 1000# or more loaded than our 337...really at the limit of any gas V8 HD truck available now. I think a diesel powered truck is your only option.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

overpolished
    I am not sure where the $12k number comes from.... but my engine and transmission upgrade was $10k MSRP... now no one should ever pay MSRP for the vehicle nor the options... so I would say $7-8K is the likely premium. The one things that many forget is the the resale of a good used diesel is significantly more than a gasser. My 2008 GMC 2500 HD Dmax/Ally SLT CC 4x4 that I purchased in 2007 new for $42k. I was lazy and sold to Carmax for $32k. Per the carmax fella the same truck with a gas motor would have brought a $15,300 offer from them. $16k + is a whole lot more than I paid for the diesel. Something to think about.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overpolished View Post
    i am not sure where the $12k number comes from.... But my engine and transmission upgrade was $10k msrp... Now no one should ever pay msrp for the vehicle nor the options... So i would say $7-8k is the likely premium. The one things that many forget is the the resale of a good used diesel is significantly more than a gasser. My 2008 gmc 2500 hd dmax/ally slt cc 4x4 that i purchased in 2007 new for $42k. I was lazy and sold to carmax for $32k. Per the carmax fella the same truck with a gas motor would have brought a $15,300 offer from them. $16k + is a whole lot more than i paid for the diesel. Something to think about.
    ----------------------------------------------
    x2
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2001 Chevy 3500 DRW 6.0 with a 4L80E transmission. I have towed a 10k lbs race trailer (tag) and now our Reflection 303. I currently have 109,000 miles on the truck. I have towed the Reflection over 4000 miles since March and I have been on a few 7% grades with it. Here is my opinion. There is a lack of power going up some mountains here in the west, I have learned that the truck will tow this trailer up almost any grade if you're patient and are prepared for traffic to pass you. I have gone up grants pass following a semi at 30 - 35 mph we made it worth no problem. I've towed the questa grade here 7% for two miles at 35mph, the tranny got warm but not hot. I will be buying a new dually next year and it will be a gas engine with a 6L80E. By the way, I get about 8.5 to 10 mpg depending on conditions, I can go 300 miles on one tank (34g). Good luck and safe travels.
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all good points, I found Dave Smith Dodge in Idaho, anyone familiar? his prices are sooo much better than what I can find in Portland Oregon, I found a 3500 SLT diesel turbo with the Aisin trani for 44K, cant get anything in portland for less than 52K

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O and its the 2014 solitude 369RL the thing is awesome

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast