Hey Paul! I find the maintenance cheaper on my RAM diesel. What maintenance are you referring to?

The RAM 3500 scheduled maintenance states "verify and change if necessary" for most items so your not changing parts for no reason just to maintain the original or extended warranty. Only hard requirement is to change oils and filters at specified intervals. Second, the diesel engine is a work horse suited to hauling trailers and rarely breaks down compared to gasoline engines. So you will recoup your up front cost for the diesel engine in the long run. I haven't had any engine issues since I bought mine in February 2010.

You can reduce maintenance costs by changing filters and oil yourself although I don't always find it saves money. I shop around and usually find a place to change the oils for same or less than I can. I change my fuel filter for $40 vs $100 and also change my air filters to cut cost. Also join the Food Sam Club and get the Flying-J credit card to save on fuel; gas or diesel are both going up.

You mention only going camping 4-6 hours from home. If you go to the same place each time, consider having them store your trailer there and put it on a site when needed. Then no truck needed.

Year end is coming up, there should be many incentives for 2013 RAM 3500's to get it cheaper than $55K like by my home. Also subtract the towing package including the trailer brake and 5th wheel hitch (if dealer option) from the price to compare the base truck. Doesn't mater who you buy it from, or if its gas or diesel as long as its rated to pull your trailer.

Bottom line. You need a truck properly outfitted and rated to haul the Solitude 369RL (we love ours!) to be legal, and more importantly, to be safe! We've had a few close calls and our RAM had the power and braking strength to keep us safe in those situations.

Good luck.
Aaron
Quote Originally Posted by Paul1379 View Post
All good points and good ideals, here is my situation, I'm having a hard time justifying 55K + for a new diesel truck, We go camping maybe 3 or 4 times a year, usually about a 4 to 6 hrs drive from home, the most I haul in a truck is a Costco run, my truck is primarily used as too and from work, I found a nice Ram 3500 gas fully loaded Laramie Package for 44K, now I know the diesel has twice as much torque from 400 to 800, that's the only thru difference, the maintenance is also more expensive on the diesel's and with the price of diesel always going up in the long run I cant buy a lot of gas to make up a difference of 12K. does anyone use a Gas powered to tow a fifth wheel or know someone and what's their opinion? we are towing a new Solitude fifth wheel