Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New truck

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New truck

We just purchased a 2014 Solitude, need a new truck, I'm a dodge man so will buy a new 3500, the question is Long bed vs short bed, whats the plus and minuses if any. Go....

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Paul and congratulations on your new Solitude! From what I have read, the short bed Dodge has a smaller, in length, bed than Chevys and Fords. If so, then you would probably have to have a slider hitch in a short bed Dodge.

Steve

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kinda wondering what the advantages are over short vs long, if any? I would prefer getting a short bed but does stability going down the road come into play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1379 View Post
    I'm kinda wondering what the advantages are over short vs long, if any? I would prefer getting a short bed but does stability going down the road come into play?
    I tow with a short bed. Been over 6000 miles so far with our Solitude. The only thing I did to the truck was add a set of Timbrens to the rear axel. No issues with stability at all.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long Bed. Think about buying American as well, (Ford or Chevy).

NHSeasonal
    Ill add a question to Paul's question IF I am towing a 369FL, Must the truck be a duallie? Or is SRW sufficient? I usually drive a F150 which obviously is not gonna cut it. But was thinking F250 or F350? Just started looking, but it seems to get into a dual in a Ford i need to step to a 550 which is probably alot more truck than I want or need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NHSeasonal View Post
    Ill add a question to Paul's question IF I am towing a 369FL, Must the truck be a duallie? Or is SRW sufficient? I usually drive a F150 which obviously is not gonna cut it. But was thinking F250 or F350? Just started looking, but it seems to get into a dual in a Ford i need to step to a 550 which is probably alot more truck than I want or need.
    If you're talking about a 369RL, an F350 SWR is fine. That's what I tow mine with. If it's a 379FL, an F350 dually is a must because of the pin weight.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NHSeasonal View Post
    You posted a 369FL - I believe you mean a 369RL or a 379FL. Both are 16000 lbs. GVWR, so yes a dually would be a better recommendation. The Ford F350 can be ordered as a dually. Same as the Dodge 3500. You don’t need to step up to a F550 or even a F450.

NHSeasonal
    Thanks! Ya it's a 379FL I am looking at....

overpolished
    Hi Paul,

Congrats on the new Solitude!! I just purchased a new 2014 Ram to tow my ________________ <-- Nothing here as I have not made a decision yet.... sigh. The new Ram's are fantastic.... you will enjoy the truck. I chose to go long bed so I would not have to deal with any clearance issues. I am not certain there would be any with any of the GD 5th wheels... but why take the chance. The current day trucks have all kinds of crazy stuff that make moving a big LB DRW around pretty darn easy. We have a fantastic factory backup camera and a in bed cargo camera. The 5th wheel prep gets rid of the... "always in the way" rails. Congrats... and good luck finding a perfect new truck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast