User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a Gap--Inspect your Roof's Seams!

My 315RLTS is a whopping 8 months old. I know everything was sealed upon delivery back in July. Yesterday and today I caught up with some much-needed roof cleaning, application of 303, and checking all of the seams. Yep, I found one bad. Surprised me. I didn't think I'd find anything after such a short time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0142 (Small).JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	17730

A little self-leveling dicor and it's good to go!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0143 (Small).JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	17731
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good catch Howard. That gap could have allowed for a substantial amount of water penetration if you hadn't caught it.

Jim

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a reason that all manufacturers recommend inspecting sealants every 90 days.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    There is a reason that all manufacturers recommend inspecting sealants every 90 days.
    It is definitely not just the roof!

I recently replaced my tail lights and found this when I removed the original ones.
    I had no idea that water was getting past the the original silicone bead around the perimeter of the light fixture!
    A much better way to prevent this is to seal every screw hole individually by dipping the screw into silicone before inserting it.
    Obviously, this takes more time . . . which is why it is not done in production.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4069.jpg   IMG_4070.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I inspect the roof sealants and all of the sidewall caulking on each outing. I added eternabond tape at the front & rear cap/roof junctions and at all of the roof vents for a little extra insurance. A lot can happen when you tow your vacation home around the country at 60-65 miles per hour!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    ...I added eternabond tape at the front & rear cap/roof junctions and at all of the roof vents for a little extra insurance...
    I'm seriously thinking about adding Eternabond on my roof. I just need to do it to ensure I'm protected and be able to sleep at night instead of worrying that I put enough sealant down.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about adding Eternabond on my roof. I just need to do it to ensure I'm protected and be able to sleep at night instead of worrying that I put enough sealant down.
    Eternabond works well for the front and rear caps. It's a little harder to apply around vents and such. A vulnerable place on our trailers is the roof edge seal. On the 315RLTS there is about 70 feet of roof edge and GD doesn't apply a lot here. I use the Alpha product in a caulking tube. I inspect the seals several times during the season and make sure it's all tight before storing for the winter. I'm a bit suspicious of the roof edge trim. It's a metal strip secured with screws and a flexible plastic trim to fit over the screws. I wonder if GD applies any sealant to the screws. The plastic cover isn't water tight. Both side walls are being replaced on my 315, maybe I'm a bit paranoid.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also went with Eternabond on the front and rear seam of the roof. Got 6" tape and it covered everything nicely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the Eternabond tape on front and back roof. Also did it around the roof vents. Doesn’t look sexy but nobody sees the roof but me and I’m all about function over form.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Ditto on the Eternabond tape on front and back roof. Also did it around the roof vents. Doesn’t look sexy but nobody sees the roof but me and I’m all about function over form.
    Did you apply right over the existing sealant or did you remove the old stuff first?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast