User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experienced long-time RV owners: Is it typical for a two-year old roof to need dicor applications? (no mishaps like tree branches scraping-one winter out with cover, one winter in a storage building)?
    Also, (even tho the thread is about the roof) should bearings need to be repacked at 1600 highway miles?
    Just wondering.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Experienced long-time RV owners: Is it typical for a two-year old roof to need dicor applications? (no mishaps like tree branches scraping-one winter out with cover, one winter in a storage building)?
    Also, (even tho the thread is about the roof) should bearings need to be repacked at 1600 highway miles?
    Just wondering.
    N
    I'm not as experienced as a lot of folks here but my answer is yes. You or somebody should inspect and touch up if needed every 6 months or so IMHO. Dicor starts to crack after a while. I've touched up the front and rear seals along with skylights, etc. a couple of times, resealed the roof edges once. I usually check them at the beginning and end of my camping season.
    I applied Eternabond tape to my previous trailer, pretty much eliminated Dicor applications for 8 years. Never had a leak. When I'm able I plan to apply it to the 315.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering.
    N
    We are new to RVing, but I found I had to "touch up" (i.e. fix a few manufacturing issues with) the dicor within a few months. At one year I had to touch up a lot more. I think this is just part of RV maintenance. I think you should go over all of the caulking and seals every 6 months.

Do you mean repacking bearing every 16,000 miles? Dexter (I think you have Dexter axles) says repack bearing every 12 months or 12,000 miles. Some of the LCI axles had problems with thin grease and poor seals/installation that caused leakage. Repacking those with good quality grease and properly replacing/installing the seals helped a lot.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering.
    N
    I'd be up on the roof inspecting it the day I did the PDI, then every 3 months thereafter. There's not one area on an RV that I trust the people building that area. The roof and windows are the two areas that need the utmost attention.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    We are new to RVing, but I found I had to "touch up" (i.e. fix a few manufacturing issues with) the dicor within a few months. At one year I had to touch up a lot more. I think this is just part of RV maintenance. I think you should go over all of the caulking and seals every 6 months.

Do you mean repacking bearing every 16,000 miles? Dexter (I think you have Dexter axles) says repack bearing every 12 months or 12,000 miles. Some of the LCI axles had problems with thin grease and poor seals/installation that caused leakage. Repacking those with good quality grease and properly replacing/installing the seals helped a lot.

Chris
    Thanks, Chris. The roof, I get it...stay on top of it (pun intended). But the bearings, no, not 16K, we have one thousand, six hundred highway miles on the trailer. Sad, I know, but Bruce works all the time, so we park it spring/fall and use it weekends. Otherwise, we’re looking at only our second big trip with it this year. Our first one, last summer was only 180 miles round trip. Honestly, it’s been on the road more traveling to service, than fun destinations! So, I read several articles online that recommended every 12 months if you’re Full Time, but 3000-12,000 miles depending upon conditions (off-road, boondocking, dusty conditions, etc).
    I guess it doesn’t really matter, it’s getting done, and I’d rather that than replacement. Just hope it’s with the red tacky stuff. Just questioning whether it was really necessary at only 1600.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... we’re looking at only our second big trip with it this year. Our first one, last summer was only 180 miles round trip. Honestly, it’s been on the road more traveling to service, than fun destinations! So, I read several articles online that recommended every 12 months if you’re Full Time, but 3000-12,000 miles depending upon conditions (off-road, boondocking, dusty conditions, etc). I guess it doesn’t really matter, it’s getting done, and I’d rather that than replacement. Just hope it’s with the red tacky stuff. Just questioning whether it was really necessary at only 1600.
    N
    Grease is just oil, emulsifiers and additives (called "soap"). Over time, grease will separate into oil and a thick paste. I think that is why the manufactures have a time limit. Higher temps will hasten the separation. Higher quality greases will "last" longer. Contamination (water - often from condensation, dust etc.) and just wear metals and use will also require the grease to be changed (bearings repacked). For low mileage like you have, I suspect the water (condensation) is probably your biggest issues as the lack of use means the water will collect and rust the bearing. More frequent use would heat up the bearings/grease and drive the moisture off. All that being said, depending on where in the country you are (and how much condensation you will get in the bearings), I would think you could go a couple of years between repacking.

This is just my opinion.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will it void the factory warrantee if you put the Eternabond tape on over the seams? I know they always look for ways to blame the consumer when things fail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123