Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 380 FL Pin Box Hitting Retrax Bed Rails on 2020 Silverado 3500

Hi all,

I was turning my 380FL around in a cul-de-sac and the Lippert bracket (maybe called the junction box?) of kingpin box made slight contact with the Retrax bed rails mounted on my 2020 Silverado 3500 HD DRW. I've since raised my BW companion hitch, but it is at the highest level now and it's still going to hit.

Has anybody dealt with this? Any insight on this would be MUCH appreciated.

Photo 1 - Black Lippert bracket that I don't know the exact name of. Hole circled blue is possible new mounting point that would raise the black bracket above the bed rails, but likely making the 5er sit off level. Green line is possible cut that would eliminate the problem. Red is collision point with bed rail.
    Photo 2 - Rear view of the Lippert Bracket. Green line shows possible cut line and red circle is collision point.
    Photo 3 - Angle of the truck/trailer where photo 2 was taken to show the collision point. This is on level ground, but it's a bit less when I'm unlevel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 1.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	33571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	33572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	33573

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some possible solutions from what I see thus far. Any thoughts?

1. Is the black Lippert bracket in fact called the junction box? The simple fix would be replacing this, if possible, with something more "low profile".
    2. Rather than replacing the Lippert bracket, would it be possible to raise the front of the 5th wheel up by using the lower mounting hole circled in blue in photo #1 ? This would mean losing the 3rd bolt on the front, so I'd have a total of 8 bolts instead of 10.
    3. I've read of some people making cuts. If I were to make a cut, it would be along the green line in photo #1 . I'm terrified of compromising the structural integrity though. I wouldn't cut the gray MorRyde portion of the kingpin box that you see from the rear angle (photo #2 ), just the black Lippert bracket.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the Rotoflex pin box or the MorRyde rubber one? I have the Retrax bed cover on my truck and the Rotoflex pin box got very close the the Retrax rails also but I managed to never make it hit. I switched mine to the MorRyde box and gained a lot of clearance in that area you highlighted. You can see from the pic that flat lip at the bottom of the box ends before the bracket it bolts to, that's where I gained the clearance. The Morryde box tows much smoother also. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin box (2).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	33574
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response Txifvver. My pin box is in fact the MorRyde rubber one and not the Rotoflex. Where I am hitting is a little further back than what is shown in your photo.

Do you have the same Lippert bracket?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_ View Post
    Thanks for the response Txifvver. My pin box is in fact the MorRyde rubber one and not the Rotoflex. Where I am hitting is a little further back than what is shown in your photo.

Do you have the same Lippert bracket?
    Ahh I see where you're hitting now, yes I have the Lippert bracket as well. I guess it's differences in the bed rails between Ford and Chevy, I've had mine turned that sharp and no contact. I too would be afraid to cut the bracket and compromise strength. Maybe a call to Lippert is in order. Sorry I couldn't offer any help, good luck!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff