User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see evidence that the wire terminals are soldered to the wires. I can't see any evidence in the pictures that they are also crimped. I would hope they are crimped in such a manner that the crimp is visible on the bottom side of the terminal as solder only on a high amp DC setup is generally considered poor form as there is no mechanical connection.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    I see evidence that the wire terminals are soldered to the wires. I can't see any evidence in the pictures that they are also crimped. I would hope they are crimped in such a manner that the crimp is visible on the bottom side of the terminal as solder only on a high amp DC setup is generally considered poor form as there is no mechanical connection.
    Good point. Also, the plastic cover for the self resetting breakers is not reinstalled. This leaves a lot of exposed positive DC terminals which isnt the best practice either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dropped off for solar, inverter and tesla install

Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    How can you possibly see that? I downloaded the photos and zoomed in and still can’t see it.
    Can you post a photo with that section circled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solder on the terminal. No evidence of a crimp. Could be dimpled on the opposite side but doesn’t look like. I’m on my phone so you’ll have to draw your own circles. 😉
    Last edited by J&G garage; 06-08-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a crazy set up, congrats! It looks like those tesla batteries are an insane value (about 450 Ah @ 12v for $1500) compared to Battleborns (100 Ah @ 12v for $1000). I will definitely have to keep those in mind. I keep looking around trying to decide what I want to do with my S-Class but know my wife either murder me or I would be living in the trailer alone if I went off and did the full scope of what you did lol, I am jealous

For now I have to be happy to have the generator but absolutely like the idea of solar and not having to actually run it A LOT.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    That is a crazy set up, congrats! It looks like those tesla batteries are an insane value (about 450 Ah @ 12v for $1500) compared to Battleborns (100 Ah @ 12v for $1000). I will definitely have to keep those in mind.
    Then you should also keep in mind the fact that the Tesla battery comes with little to no warranty.
    It’s a good deal as long as you don’t have any problems. Battle Born batteries have a 10 year warranty. Lion Energy batteries have a lifetime warranty. This piece of mind is worth the extra money to those of us that own them.
    Same reason I bought a Honda generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Then you should also keep in mind the fact that the Tesla battery comes with little to no warranty.
    It’s a good deal as long as you don’t have any problems. Battle Born batteries have a 10 year warranty. Lion Energy batteries have a lifetime warranty. This piece of mind is worth the extra money to those of us that own them.
    Same reason I bought a Honda generator.
    Worst case, the Tesla Battery fails for some reason, you can simply replace the Tesla Battery with some Battle Born Batteries. The remainder of the system is still the same whether you choose Led Acid, Tesla, or Battle Born as your storage medium.

You are also missing the point that some of us like the challenge of designing and installing our own Solar and (Tesla) Battery system.

Personally, I will be installing my own Tesla Battery System in the next couple of days. And, I will be Boondocking shortly thereafter.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dropped off for solar, inverter and tesla install

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Worst case, the Tesla Battery fails for some reason, you can simply replace the Tesla Battery with some Battle Born Batteries...

...You are also missing the point that some of us like the challenge of designing and installing our own Solar and (Tesla) Battery system.
    Actually, worst case, is the Tesla battery fails and your rig burns to the ground due to thermal runaway on a battery that came out of a wrecked car. There's a reason Tesla batteries are a lot cheaper.

Design and build your own solar, awesome, use whatever kind of battery you want, that's great, but my point is a lot of people read these threads and some of them aren't as knowledgeable. So I’m simply pointing out all the facts, because I constantly see people post only part of the relevant information on using Tesla batteries. For example above, only the cost and output was mentioned, so some folks will get the impression that a Tesla battery is the perfect alternative to a Battle Born or some other brand lithium battery.

But they're not drop-in replacements with built-in BMS and good warranties. A Tesla battery cannot be purchased new... the only way to acquire one is to pull it from a wrecked car, therefore you take on FAR greater risk using one. Comparing a Tesla battery to a Battle Born is not an apple-to-apple comparison, so yes the Tesla is cheaper, but for good reason.

From what I've read, Tesla batteries are lithium cobalt which is a different chemistry than lithium iron phosphate (LiFeP04) which is what Battle Born uses. My understanding is the lithium cobalt has a lower life-cycle than lithium iron phosphate and a higher risk of thermal runaway.

Furthermore, a Tesla battery, when used in a Tesla vehicle, the way it was engineered, has a professionally-designed BMS, an integral thermal management system and a fire-resistant shield that protects the vehicle's occupants. Someone installing one in their RV has none of this.

From what I've read these are the facts, please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these points, and feel free to add any benefits of using Tesla batteries that you think make them worth ignoring these concerns. Convince me and maybe I'll sell my Battle Borns and buy the Tesla.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 06-26-2019 at 02:32 AM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Install is awesome. Thank you for explaining some of the differences between battleborn and tesla batteries.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info on Tesla batteries - the battery/solar stuff is new to me and I had not considered that.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast