User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onan Generator Install

Hi looking for pointers on installing an Onan 5500 in the front storage area of a 2930RL. Ours didn't come with gen prep however all the holes and cutout areas are indicated in the floor. Does anybody have pictures of the factory gen prep? I am wondering if there needs to be additional reinforcement underneath the metal floor and the plastic underbelly. It looks like there is about 2-3" between the floor of the compartment and the plastic underbelly. Meaning if I cut out the floor for the air intake and exhaust areas there will be gaps between the plastic underbelly and the metal floor of the compartment. Does this need to be framed in. If it does need to be framed in should the frame be strong enough to add substantial support to the generator or just be strong enough to fill the gaps and give a surface to screw the plastic underbelly to?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen the front compartment of your S-class but I added an Onan in my Reflection (gen prep is not even an option) and the generator actually mounts to the frame fore and aft and does not actually sit or mount to the floor so strength there is not a consideration.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I haven't seen the front compartment of your S-class but I added an Onan in my Reflection (gen prep is not even an option) and the generator actually mounts to the frame fore and aft and does not actually sit or mount to the floor so strength there is not a consideration.

Wow that thing is a beast!
    I bet you can power everything in your rig and then some.
    Just curious, since I’ve never owned an RV with a built in genset, how much fuel does it take to run it all day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DaveMatthewsBand "Just curious, since I’ve never owned an RV with a built in genset, how much fuel does it take to run it all day?"
    x2

The Cummins rep says 1/2 gallon per hour on 50% load. I am also curious what folks in the real world are seeing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Wow that thing is a beast!
    I bet you can power everything in your rig and then some.
    Just curious, since I’ve never owned an RV with a built in genset, how much fuel does it take to run it all day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First, I would never run it all day, that's what the solar is for. But it takes about 1/2 - 3/4 gallon of propane an hour. Also, I have a 3,600 so it only runs 1 A/C at a time, which is all we ever need. I only need to run it occasionally when we use the microwave or coffee pot. I did run it once overnight in a truck stop for the A/C which was great.

After RVing with 2 Honda generators for years, we absolutely love the onboard unit for simplicity and convenience.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Poppy...we have a 3600 Onan in our 303RLS...the bigger unit would not fit but that is more than adequate for our needs given that we have 320 W of solar.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info and pics. Greatly appreciated. My floor has a template or perforations in it indicating the areas that need to be cut out and mounting holes for the genset. I think the 5500 gets all its intake and exhaust and cooling air from underneath. The cargo door has no cutouts in it. I think they are all in the floor. My floor flexes a bit which makes me think it needs reinforcement of some sort like your mounts.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livindrm View Post
    Thank you for the info and pics. Greatly appreciated. My floor has a template or perforations in it indicating the areas that need to be cut out and mounting holes for the genset. I think the 5500 gets all its intake and exhaust and cooling air from underneath. The cargo door has no cutouts in it. I think they are all in the floor. My floor flexes a bit which makes me think it needs reinforcement of some sort like your mounts.
    You're correct the 5500s are bottom breathers and the 3600 from the front. I put an opening in the compartment door for that. You certainly won't have to worry about that. In addition, that makes the 5500 seem quieter from the front especially. If I had the room most Solitudes have, that would be my choice.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    The Cummins rep says 1/2 gallon per hour on 50% load. I am also curious what folks in the real world are seeing.
    I average about 3/4 gph while averaging a 25 - 30 Amp load. Since I have a 3rd A/C, my Momentum came with an EMS (not the power protection type, but one that monitors and sheds load if not plugged in to 50A power) and it has a display of actual generator loading.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    You're correct the 5500s are bottom breathers and the 3600 from the front. I put an opening in the compartment door for that. You certainly won't have to worry about that. In addition, that makes the 5500 seem quieter from the front especially. If I had the room most Solitudes have, that would be my choice.
    One thing to keep in mind if you plan to run your Generator while driving down the road, is to be mindful of wet roads, as the water on the roadways may be splashed up under the 5'er and right into the intake of the bottom breathers. (this was a tip from the Cummins Seminar).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast