User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Onan 5500 we have run it 24 hr and it will use about a half a tank which is 9 gal of gas. That is why we are going to solar, to save money on gas. We do a lot of boodocking.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind if you plan to run your Generator while driving down the road, is to be mindful of wet roads, as the water on the roadways may be splashed up under the 5'er and right into the intake of the bottom breathers. (this was a tip from the Cummins Seminar).
    Wow, I've never known anyone to do that but good advice I guess.

Here's a look at the opening I made in my compartment door for my 3,600 Onan. It's aligned with the air intake on the generator.

In addition I made sure to cover any openings in the floor where critters can enter the front compartment. I didn't do this originally and some rats got in and made nests INSIDE the generator case and I had to take the whole thing apart to clean it out!

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I average about 3/4 gph while averaging a 25 - 30 Amp load. Since I have a 3rd A/C, my Momentum came with an EMS (not the power protection type, but one that monitors and sheds load if not plugged in to 50A power) and it has a display of actual generator loading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    We have a Onan 5500 we have run it 24 hr and it will use about a half a tank which is 9 gal of gas. That is why we are going to solar, to save money on gas. We do a lot of boodocking.
    Nice info but you guys are talking gas powered units while we're pretty much discussing propane powered units. I'm actually slightly surprised at your fuel usage as I thought the gas units were lower consumption than that.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scousers View Post
    I agree with Poppy...we have a 3600 Onan in our 303RLS...the bigger unit would not fit but that is more than adequate for our needs given that we have 320 W of solar.
    We have a 3600 Onan in our 337RLs which the dealer installed. The housing was very flimsy and they didn't cut the floor or the door for any air flow. We since shored up the housing, cut out a space on the floor and put in a grill for airflow and cut out some of the door and added vents. But it still over-heats and is SO LOUD! Could you post a picture of how yours is installed? It also leaks oil constantly!

Sorry! Just saw that you did post pics. What is the material you have lining the door? And do you use any sound proofing? What kind?
    Last edited by barbavila; 02-25-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barbavila View Post
    We have a 3600 Onan in our 337RLs which the dealer installed. The housing was very flimsy and they didn't cut the floor or the door for any air flow. We since shored up the housing, cut out a space on the floor and put in a grill for airflow and cut out some of the door and added vents. But it still over-heats and is SO LOUD! Could you post a picture of how yours is installed? It also leaks oil constantly!

Sorry! Just saw that you did post pics. What is the material you have lining the door? And do you use any sound proofing? What kind?
    That's a bummer to hear that your Onan is noisy and leaks. Mine is a home install. The Onan runs flawlessly, no overheating and no oil leaks (that's gotta be a loose fitting somewhere). Mine has been in for almost 4 years and has 110 run hours. The material is called Reflectix which I purchased at Home Depot but there's lot's of heat reflective material available. It does help with sound deadening somewhat but that's not it's primary duty.

As I stated before, the one downside of the 3600 is that it breathes through the front of the case. I would not consider running it without an adequate vent directly in front of the vent in the enclosure as it is not designed to PULL air but does need to have air flow in to it. I see you indicate you have added some venting in the door so that's good. If you parked a trailer with the 5500 next to one wit the 3600, the 3600 would probably be slightly louder due to the opening in the front. I have considered making an "intake" box out of rigid insulation to sit in front of the vent to see if that helps with the noise from directly in front but it's not really bad as others on this forum can attest from camping next to us many times. It's very very quiet from the side where the exhaust is.

2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think ours seems so noisy because we cannot run it with the door closed as it will overheat even in cool weather. Maybe our vents aren't letting in enough air? I'm attaching a pic. Looks like the photo is upside down but I don't know how to edit it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3483.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	17943
    Last edited by barbavila; 02-25-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well it certainly looks like enough of an opening and, if you are having to run it with the door wide open it will be noisy.

I'd contact Onan for some guidance.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! We took it to Onan and they were not much help. After leaving the RV there for a couple of weeks, and a charge of almost $400, it isn't leaking as much, but it is still leaking. We are trying to get a mobile RV guy to come out and look at it. Appreciate your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onan Mounting Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I haven't seen the front compartment of your S-class but I added an Onan in my Reflection (gen prep is not even an option) and the generator actually mounts to the frame fore and aft and does not actually sit or mount to the floor so strength there is not a consideration.

Where did you get your mounting brackets? I picked up a used generator and having a hard time finding brackets that get it off the floor of my front compartment.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Wow, I've never known anyone to do that but good advice I guess.

Here's a look at the opening I made in my compartment door for my 3,600 Onan. It's aligned with the air intake on the generator.

In addition I made sure to cover any openings in the floor where critters can enter the front compartment. I didn't do this originally and some rats got in and made nests INSIDE the generator case and I had to take the whole thing apart to clean it out!

It looks great! I will try to do the same, you just need to make all the sizes correctly. Thank you for sharing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast