User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass Through Storage Door Trim and Rain Intrusion

I have noticed that when it rains the trim on the storage doors apparently is not water tight. I say this because when I raise the door and fasten it to the magnet catch, water begins to run down the inside of the inverted door. Anyone else noticed this? If so, what have you done to correct? Secondly, does the material the door panels are made of absorb water? I'm thinking the answer to that one is no, but what about if water gets in there and then freezes between the trim and the panel?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Myke View Post
    I have noticed that when it rains the trim on the storage doors apparently is not water tight. I say this because when I raise the door and fasten it to the magnet catch, water begins to run down the inside of the inverted door. Anyone else noticed this? If so, what have you done to correct? Secondly, does the material the door panels are made of absorb water? I'm thinking the answer to that one is no, but what about if water gets in there and then freezes between the trim and the panel?
    Big Myke--can you please fill out your signature line? I forget what year & model GD you are referencing. (I could look through your posts but having it right in the sig line will make it so much easier!)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Big Myke--can you please fill out your signature line? I forget what year & model GD you are referencing. (I could look through your posts but having it right in the sig line will make it so much easier!)
    I have been meaning to do that...
    Mike and Nancy + fur babies (Princesses Maggie and Missie)
    2015 GMC 2500HD All Terrain 6.0L 4:10 rear end
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS (bought 26 JAN 2019 from Dodd RV of the Peninsula)

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they are not sealed.

It's because the door material does not expand and contract at the same rate as the aluminum framing, so it would never stay sealed anyway.

Did you ever look at the larger compartment doors when it is cold out? They appear bowed because the framing shrinks more in the cold than the door material.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pass-thru storage doors on my 315 don't leak, though they aren't completely waterproof, either. Those catch trays at the ends of the pass-thru (or whatever they are called) are a smart design feature choice by GD to account for this potential IMO.

The storage door for under the bed--that was (and still is) another story. I haven't permanently fixed mine (yet) but I know the problem.

The insert (the "insert" is the brown metal trim piece that stays attached to the camper) that the door closes in is the issue. Along the bottom interior edge of the insert it is not flush with the aluminum frame (but it is flush with the exterior wall). In other words, on the bottom edge (inside the storage area) there's an air gap between the aluminum frame and the bottom of the insert. I can feel this with my fingers when I reach in and feel along the bottom back edge of the insert.

When the screws were installed to attached the insert to the aluminum frame, the gorilla that installed them drove them right through the thin metal of the insert. This created gouges in the insert with gaps around the screw head and bent the insert down at a angle. When water collected in the down-turned insert, gravity directs it to pool and then it leaked through the gaps around the screw heads, entering the storage area.

As a temp fix I removed the screws, added silicone in and around the insert screw holes (and on the screws themselves) and then reinstalled. Before tightening I also bent the bottom of the insert up (gently!) so it is not so easy for the water to pool.

If all of those words make no sense, I can take pictures later when I get home from work later today.

-Howard

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    No, they are not sealed.

It's because the door material does not expand and contract at the same rate as the aluminum framing, so it would never stay sealed anyway.

Did you ever look at the larger compartment doors when it is cold out? They appear bowed because the framing shrinks more in the cold than the door material.
    No, Steve I have not noticed that but makes sense. So does Howard's observation about the drip trays at either end of the storage area. Thanks!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    The pass-thru storage doors on my 315 don't leak, though they aren't completely waterproof, either. Those catch trays at the ends of the pass-thru (or whatever they are called) are a smart design feature choice by GD to account for this potential IMO.

The storage door for under the bed--that was (and still is) another story. I haven't permanently fixed mine (yet) but I know the problem.

The insert (the "insert" is the brown metal trim piece that stays attached to the camper) that the door closes in is the issue. Along the bottom interior edge of the insert it is not flush with the aluminum frame (but it is flush with the exterior wall). In other words, on the bottom edge (inside the storage area) there's an air gap between the aluminum frame and the bottom of the insert. I can feel this with my fingers when I reach in and feel along the bottom back edge of the insert.

When the screws were installed to attached the insert to the aluminum frame, the gorilla that installed them drove them right through the thin metal of the insert. This created gouges in the insert with gaps around the screw head and bent the insert down at a angle. When water collected in the down-turned insert, gravity directs it to pool and then it leaked through the gaps around the screw heads, entering the storage area.

As a temp fix I removed the screws, added silicone in and around the insert screw holes (and on the screws themselves) and then reinstalled. Before tightening I also bent the bottom of the insert up (gently!) so it is not so easy for the water to pool.

If all of those words make no sense, I can take pictures later when I get home from work later today.

-Howard
    I will take a look at the slider storage on my next visit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howson, I know exactly what you mean about the trim around the storage door under the bed. What got my attention was I could pull the door open without unlocking the latch. I also had to bend the trim up so the latch would catch. Then to make it more secure I replaced the end thumb latches with keyed locks and put 1 of the thumb latches in the center where the original keyed lock was. Also when I replaced the locks, I got ones keyed the same as the main door. Then I replaced the slam latches with keyed alike locks so all my locks are keyed alike. (P.S. this is going to cost you more money)
    Last edited by 315RLTSinPA; 02-23-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    Howson, I know exactly what you mean about the trim around the storage door under the bed. What got my attention was I could pull the door open without unlocking the latch. I also had to bend the trim up so the latch would catch. Then to make it more secure I replaced the end thumb latches with keyed locks and put 1 of the thumb latches in the center where the original keyed lock was. Also when I replaced the locks, I got ones keyed the same as the main door. Then I replaced the slam latches with keyed alike locks so all my locks are keyed alike. (P.S. this is going to cost you more money)
    Well, at least I read this before I bought all new locks. Getting them all keyed alike is yet another item on my "RounToIt" list that I haven't, um, gotten around to yet. My Project Days:Camping Days ratio is already about 3 weeks to one day as it is. "POW" is keeping me busy.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will take a look at the slider storage on my next visit.
    It's been raining here in mid-Atlantic like monsoon season in the Pacific! So, slider storage is leaking badly. If it wasn't for the cardboard boxes that I had items stored in soaking up most of the water It would have had at least an inch of water inside! Inside compartment under bed is still dry but for how long? It looks like the cutout for the door flange/frame is too big and does not have a gasket or sealant to take up the void. I felt nothing on either side of the door frame that could be considered an attempt to seal. I saw no evidence of what Howard discovered on his slider storage insert. I don't want to do anything that would void a warranty claim but thinking I could take care of it myself...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast