User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 Weeks Into Ownership & Delamination Has Started.

We picked up our 2018 377 just about three weeks ago, and while leaving our shake down trip this weekend I noticed the two spots of delamination in the attached photo. I grabbed a ladder and pushed on the areas and they do flex, I also checked the roof and sealant in the area and I do not see any issues. For those who have had these issues, what is my next move? Do I call Grand Design or my local dealer first?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mraplx View Post
    We picked up our 2018 377 just about three weeks ago, and while leaving our shake down trip this weekend I noticed the two spots of delamination...
    Hopefully a member with experience in this situation (@Chiefblueman or @TucsonJim are two that come to mind) will chime in soon. I hope it is resolved quickly.

If you haven't seen them, check out these two threads:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...f-Delamination

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ion-Area-Yikes!

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd call both. A lot depends on your dealer - how responsive they are, and how fast they can get you in to look at it (and how long they take to work out the repair). Won't hurt at all to start discussion with GD directly, also. They'll ask for pictures, so try to get a few more closer in that highlight the problem spots. Worst case, if the dealer is not behaving well, you already have the ball rolling directly.
    Resolving this sometimes can be a pretty long process, so stress to both that you want to keep using it as much as you can, and not have it parked in the dealers lot waiting for someone to get around to it.
    Last edited by sande005; 02-24-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up our 2018 377 just about three weeks ago, and while leaving our shake down trip this weekend I noticed the two spots of delamination in the attached photo. I grabbed a ladder and pushed on the areas and they do flex, I also checked the roof and sealant in the area and I do not see any issues. For those who have had these issues, what is my next move? Do I call Grand Design or my local dealer first?

So sorry you're having this issue. I'm currently having both side walls replaced on my 315RLTS. Have some detailed photos ready to send to GDRV customer service. They will likely tell you to take it to a dealer. I did not want to do this because my dealer, well...…...sucks. I had the damage assessed by a reputable shop that repairs RVs and doesn't sell them. Had them forward a report to GDRV. I didn't want to accept their proposed reglue, where they will hyperextend the slide and inject glue into the delaminated area, then clamp it. These walls are glued and pinch rolled. When I finally escalated the issue to management, it was explained that if insufficient glue was applied, humidity, pressure or temperature was off at time of construction, this problem could crop up in other areas.
    If you're not getting satisfaction don't wait like I did. Send an email to Jerry McCarthy. If customer service is giving you a hard time he'll want to know about it.
    Check out my thread
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...f-Delamination

Keep us posted. Good luck. Really tough to see on a rig you've only had for 3 weeks.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Grand Design this morning who directed me to my local dealer for initial inspection. Fortunately we already have an appointment for 3-1 for a couple of minor issues that need to be resolved. I'll keep everyone updated, but after speaking with Grand Design and opening a case number, I am concerned as the phone agent mentioned several reasons why this may have happened, and many pointed to manufacturing defects. The defects mentioned included the amount of glue used, or a problem with the glue itself. I am concerned about future delam years down the road due to poor manufacturing.

Does anyone have experience with a Phoenix area dealer called Little Dealer Little Prices? We just moved to the area, and did not purchase from this dealer, but they agreed to provide warranty work. Based on previous experience with Jayco, the dealer can make a huge difference in the repair experience, thus why I ask the question.
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insist it goes back to the factory for a new wall.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Insist it goes back to the factory for a new wall.
    For spot delamination, I'm not so sure I'd like them doing such a major repair. Since the walls are covered by a three year warranty, I'd prefer a minimalist approach before tearing it completely apart. The three year warranty will let the owner know if the repairs were successful.

I have no choice on my delamination. My delaminated area is approximately 6' x 6'.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    For spot delamination, I'm not so sure I'd like them doing such a major repair. Since the walls are covered by a three year warranty, I'd prefer a minimalist approach before tearing it completely apart. The three year warranty will let the owner know if the repairs were successful.

I have no choice on my delamination. My delaminated area is approximately 6' x 6'.

Jim

Certainly one way to go. In my opinion a defect like that would concern me, I'd take a spot repair but I'd want longer than 3 years as compensation. They used the same glue on the rest of the wall, sure 3 years it might come up but what about 5 years down the road he could be stuck.

New unit with delamination, as a consumer I have most of the power to control the situation. I'd politely, but firmly, explain my position and expect them to jump because in the day of social media you don't want this out there.

I'm pretty sure you can at minimum get them to extend the wall warranty, no reason he shouldn't push for at minimum that. Start with the full wall you can always accept less.

I'd be pretty pissed if this was my unit. Delamination is no joke much less 3 weeks old.
    Last edited by Aridon; 02-25-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call GDRV. Once approved for inspection, you can take it to your dealer. GDRV will want pictures of the delamination and the roof area above the delamination. General RV did the repair on my Imagine where so far I am satisfied. It may be best to ask GDRV in advance who they would recommend in your area to do the work.
    Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 02-25-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Call GDRV. Once approved for inspection, you can take it to your dealer. GDRV will want pictures of the delamination and the roof area above the delamination. General RV did the repair on my Imagine where so far I am satisfied. It may be best to ask GDRV in advance who they would recommend in your area to do the work.
    Jim
    Well, it took about 6 weeks, but the delam was fixed. Given the age of the trailer, GD didn’t even hesitate on the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast