0 Thread(s)

2950RL - Passenger slide snapped screws

Hey guys! I'm looking for advise on the best way to repair this issue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-03 13.49.36.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	18076

It seems to be just the top two screws that the heads have snapped off.

I'd rather not take it to the dealer who will keep it for 2 months.

Thanks,
    Mike
    2007 Ram 3500 CrewCab SRW 6.7L 4x4
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would seal the 2 holes and add 2 more screw int the same area if you can, also seal the 2 new ones. In manufacturing they put these in way to tight.

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike, I had several heads snap off on my Solitude. What I did was step up the size of the screws. If they were #8 I used a#10 . Or #10 up to a#12. Redrill new hole near old ones snapped, and replaced the others. Seal up the holes from the snapped screws. I also used a cordless drill with a clutch on a low setting so I would not strip out the heads of the new screws.
    A while back there was a issue with the Schwintek mechanism, I believe it was mainly with Imagine's . Part of the problem was with the screws being the wrong size. Give customer service a call and ask them if they can send you as many as you need to replace and repair your slides
    Hope this may help. Good luck.

Safe travels
    John Joscelyne
    Last edited by Joscelyne3; 03-03-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Additional information
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This occurred on my slides also. I think there were about 8 heads popped off. GD sent me two full bags of two different colored screws, probably 200. I was able to use a tap out drill bit to remove all but two screws. On those, i sealed the holes and installed new ones next to the old ones. So far I’ve had no others pop off.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have contacted customer support to see if they will send me replacement screws, otherwise I will source them locally.

Steve7 - is this like what you used to remove the broken screws? https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedOut-8-...tor/1000170531

Joscelyne3 - Yes, that happened to the 2017 Imagines. Ours is a very early 2018 and has extra brackets installed on the slide out frames (see TSB 17-001). Unfortunately somebody didn't check the assembly line guys torque settings and the screw heads still got snapped off.
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog03 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have contacted customer support to see if they will send me replacement screws, otherwise I will source them locally.

Steve7 - is this like what you used to remove the broken screws? https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedOut-8-...tor/1000170531

Joscelyne3 - Yes, that happened to the 2017 Imagines. Ours is a very early 2018 and has extra brackets installed on the slide out frames (see TSB 17-001). Unfortunately somebody didn't check the assembly line guys torque settings and the screw heads still got snapped off.
    Stonedog03-

I have a bag of each tan and black which they sent me last year. I am in the same area as you 10 minutes away (as we corresponded last year). If you want some screws, contact me. Jim
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stonedog03, yes, that is what I used. Take it slow and keep a steady pressure with the drill in reverse. It was touch and go. I think I looked at YouTube for tips also.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a year or so ago there was a recall over some screws that snapped off on the slide. I am guessing that your unit is probably after that recall, but I would check and make sure you are not affected. If yours is affected, you may need more than just those two screws replaced.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys and gals! I thought I would post a quick update on this issue. First, I apologize for the time lag, but I had surgery on my foot and as a result I haven't been doing a heck of a lot. Anyway, I finally got to repairing this issue and discovered a pretty disturbing issue. Our trailer was manufactured AFTER TSB 17-001 was issued. That's the TSB that adds additional brackets on the INSIDE of the slide as an additional safety precaution. On our last camping trip (the one in the photos at the start of this thread) the wife and I where watching a movie from the comfort of our recliners when there was a loud BANG. It sounded like it came from the slideout drive or possibly a screw popping. I assumed it was one of the outside screws. Fast forward to today and I replaced 6 of the exterior screws that hold the slid in. I only had to drill one new hole (that was a win!). When I was done, I was looking at the inside trim that covers the gap between the slideout and the camper wall. Something about it bugged me, so I remove the trim to expose the additional brackets that are part of the TSB. Well, the noise we heard WAS a screw popping, but it wasn't one of the exterior ones. It was the screw holding the top bracket to the slide frame. It had sheared the head off flush with the frame. This means that DAM LITTLE was holding our slide in the wall with all the snapped on screws I had on the outside. To repair it, I just moved the bracket UP about 1" and drilled new holes. I also put the screws in BY HAND to make sure they didn't get over torqued again.

So, even if you HAVE the TSB installed, you are not completely out of the woods and I would advise everybody to just keep an eye on the slideout screws, inside and outside. Consider doing a pre or post trip inspection of them.

Thanks,
    Mike
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted in error.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS