User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    We have been dry camping in very remote areas for almost a year full time, so when we move our travel trailer we usually have have both grey tanks and our black tank full, or if we just dumped and are heading back out with our fresh tank full. But I’ve also towed with all tanks dry and I am not able to feel any difference with our 9,000 lb travel trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. My wife and I are exploring the concept of boondocking. We've done camping with tents before in remote areas, but never with a TT. Anyway, how do you source water from one location to the next? I've heard of some of the dump stations that have potable water, but in our case we'd purchase filtered water for drinking from Costco or Walmart, so the water in our fresh tank would be only used for showers, dishes, and flushing.
    Last edited by luke79; 03-05-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely dry. I even drain the hot water tank prior to towing. The issue is the gross weight of the trailer. I have very limited payload due to the options I've added to my trailer. With a full tank of fresh water POW would be way over the GVWR.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you Howson. We travel with some water, but a full tank puts us over GVWR
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Do you tow with fresh water tank full, half, empty?

Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    Thanks. My wife and I are exploring the concept of boondocking. We've done camping with tents before in remote areas, but never with a TT. Anyway, how do you source water from one location to the next? I've heard of some of the dump stations that have potable water, but in our case we'd purchase filtered water for drinking from Costco or Walmart, so the water in our fresh tank would be only used for showers, dishes, and flushing.
    We are “professional boondockers” so we got tired of constantly buying drinking water and carrying them around so we bought a Berkey.

Our fresh water goes through a large water softener then a water filter. We use that for general purposes.

Then for drinking water and cooking we run water from the kitchen faucet into a Berkey, which is a high end tabletop water filter. You can literally pour lake water into the Berkey and it makes it drinkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-06-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends. Less than 2 hour drive, completely empty. Anything more than that, about 10 gallons. Full day drive or overnight, full tanks
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We usually travel with 1/4 to 1/3 full. You never know if you'll need to use the toilet while traveling. Or something comes up and you don't make it to the RV park by nighttime.

We have no issue with weight, as we're underweight (got weighed at SmartWeigh by Escapees).

Typically, when boondocking, we fill up at the last opportunity before arriving at our destination, so we don't travel with a full load (so not a lot of overflow loss).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another happy Berkey user here.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have always traveled with a full tank. Most of my camping is boon docking. I think the sloshing affect may depend on the shape of the tank and the location of the tank. If the tank is tall like the old ones were, and in the very back like my first fifth wheel, the sloshing can affect the handling, it did on my first trailer, that is why I started traveling with the full tank less sloshing.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when we are traveling across the country with just over night stops, we just carry a few gallons. We generally boondock, so when we are moving from one boondocking site to another, we are full - when we leave a site the black and gray tanks are full, and when we arrive our freshwater is full.
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife asked about taking our Berkey along, but I'm concerned about the bouncing and the charcoal filters. Since they are only attached at one point, I'm worried that they might snap off at the mount, and they are not cheap to replace.

Anyone had an issue with that?

Thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast