Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Plagued with water problems, amongst others

Hello,

My wife and I took delivery of a 28MKS the first week of August 2018. since then, there has been a slough of issues that we have found ranging from stripped screws, to drawer slides not even being attached, to water leaking and holes, even terrible and incomplete finish work.

The first issue was that the hole where the porch light is mounted, is not sealed causing water leaking and damage issues.

Next, the Molex connectors at the back of the water heater were not correctly assembled with the wires from install and they came out of the connector creating an electrical nightmare and possible fire.

Then, when they drilled into the top of our bathroom gray tank for the drain inlets, the hole saw "core" fell into the tank and was never retrieved. Then got lodged in the outflow of the docking station causing a backup to the mushroom plug at the top of the tank where the sink drain comes in. That plug was not seated properly during installation causing an overflow and flood destroying the underbelly, insulation and seeped into the subfloor.

Next, the back flow valve in the water pump failed creating an issue where the city fill was backfilling into our freshwater tank and overflowing that.

Then a hose clamp at the back of the water heater was not tightened enough causing a leak, water damage and needed repair there.

After all of that, I found the fresh water fill line that goes into the top of the holding tank is kinked and twisted creating water pressure problems and stress on the rest of the system.

And that is not to mention all of the other issues of hardware not being attached or installed properly and just such a horrible assembly job on our entire unit. I have had to re-drill hinges, latches, drawer rails, re-staple trim pieces and even the microwave fell out of the OHC on a drive down the highway.

HOLY!!!! I thought these were supposed to be nice?!?!?!?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not a very good report for any manufacture let alone GD.
    Is the dealer working to rectify these issues?
    I GD working with the dealer to make sure all problems are being attended to?
    Sure hope you are getting some kind of satisfaction on an extensive list of major problems.

BTW , welcome to the forum, wish it was better circumstances.

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefiter236, welcome to the forum. Your long list of issues definitely does not seem to be the norm. I hope you’ve been in contact with Grand Design so they are aware and can either assist you with corrections, or find out what went wrong. I wish you luck as these problems can be stressful when all you want to do is enjoy your new RV!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dang Firefiter - That's horrible. It seems every once in a while we get stories about units with a long punch list of problems. In fact, my most recent unit had a lot of issue too. If you aren't getting satisfaction from your dealer or GDRV customer service, let me know and I'll provide you with contact information to escalate your concerns.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and our slide got stuck open once and would not close, tearing the weather seal surround. We are at our wits end. The dealer is in Colorado that we bought from and currently in Arizona with permanent residence now in Washington state.

All of the repair facilities close to us are backed up for months creating the issue of me spending hours chasing down leaks, shorts, breaks and all the other problems, then taking more time to do all the repairs myself.

The gray tank issue alone took an entire month of our underbelly being torn apart laying on the ground before it was all approved and put back together.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firefiter236 View Post
    Oh, and our slide got stuck open once and would not close, tearing the weather seal surround. We are at our wits end. The dealer is in Colorado that we bought from and currently in Arizona with permanent residence now in Washington state.

All of the repair facilities close to us are backed up for months creating the issue of me spending hours chasing down leaks, shorts, breaks and all the other problems, then taking more time to do all the repairs myself.

The gray tank issue alone took an entire month of our underbelly being torn apart laying on the ground before it was all approved and put back together.
    If repairs are taking months, then GDRV customer service will usually authorize a mobile repair technician or non-GDRV repair facility to do the repairs. I'm going to send you a PM with information on how to contact the VP of customer service. He needs to hear your story.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you didn't have to face any kind of property damage due to leaks and all. My friend once thought that the leak was just a normal thing but it actually leads to a lot of damage as the whole water was on the floor damaging their property. So, they took help from Alliance public adjuster who helped them in every way possible like from claiming insurance till repairing the leak. So, it is better to keep in mind about various casualities that can happen from small things.
    Last edited by ChristopherRogers; 03-09-2019 at 04:08 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these issues typical of a Transcend? My wife and I were planning to purchase our first travel trailer, a Transcend 26RLS literally within the next week or two. Now I'm VERY concerned.....VERY!!!

Our original plan was to purchase a "new-ish" used trailer, like a 2600RB or 2670MK and do a thorough walk trough/testing of the TT with the seller. Then I figured that we'd deal with the misc issues our selves as they turned up, just we do with the house. We'd already looked at a couple used trailers and none passed initial inspection. That was the plan until we saw the 26RLS at an RV show a couple months ago. Now I'm afraid I may be back to square the original plan.

As you can tell I'm new to RVing, but shouldn't a lot of these issues have been picked up by dealer? Doesn't Grand Design inspect the trailers before they leave their factory? It sounds to me like Grand Design should replace this trailer with a brand new one! Sadly, I'm guessing that firefiter236 has a better chance of getting struck by lightning than he does at seeing a new trailer.

Lastly, I'd like to thank firefiter236 for making the original and subsequent posts. Please keep us informed how this situation progressed. I for one will watch this thread closely!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Are these issues typical of a Transcend?
    I wish I could say firefiter236's experience is unique, but there are occasions where there are reports along the lines of his. It's not just the Transcend, either. There's folks with a top-dollar Solitude that have a laundry-list of issues. On the other hand, some of us have relatively minor to no issues or choose to deal with the nuisance problems ourselves. As I'm sure you know, these trailers are not synonymous with today's very reliable change-the oil & filters, add gas and drive cars.

For your purchase, the only defense is a thorough, painstaking PDI inspection before anything is signed or money is exchanged. Another option is a look over by an independent RV Inspector. @JCZhome can give you more information on that subject if you're interested.

Finally, what's set GD apart is their well-earned reputation for standing behind their products. That doesn't mean repairs happen overnight, but eventually things get sorted out. Let's hope that's true in firefiter236's case, too. The specter of potential problems may also be a reason to buy from a dealer with a stellar service reputation, even if the initial price on the trailer isn't the best you can get. Sometimes that "insurance" is worth the peace of mind.

Good luck!

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV units have a very restrictive set of "rules" they must adhere to. Sure they have to be nice looking, or they don't sell. Now if they were built like we all would like, like a car that that just drives forever with oil changes, they would weight too much. So they have to be as light as possible. Aluminum has helped, strong and light. Why not titanium? Cost too much. The third rule, it has to be affordable. So you see the problems the RV industry has. Look good, light, and affordable. Light is mandatory, thus, cheap light weight construction. Look at build quality of a pusher bus.. Great, expensive and heavy. There will be build issues with something that is barley hanging together when newly constructed. IMO, GD has done a good job on all the "rules".
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast