Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing Process - 2016 Solitude 310 GK

Where can I find a thorough and accurate set of winterizing instructions for our 2016 Solitude 310GK?? We are doing our 3rd winterization in Denver right now and are concerned we are going to screw something up. The first winterization in TN was not a problem, but the winter was not severe. Our 2nd winterization was done here in CO and resulted in blowing up the water filter. (I know, I should have realized that would happen if not emptied but.... Where is the water filter mentioned in the Owner's Manual??)

Our owner manual has a GD text, a copy of the Nautilus panel manual and.... they are different. But, thankfully, I have an actual owner's manual for Nautilus in my owner's stuff from GD -- but the Nautilus manual is different than the other two! And there is no revision date on the Nautilus manuals, so how do I know which one might be the right one7

I called GD customer service and they were of no help for instructions, except to remind me to not forget to dump out the filter housing. Sigh! I called them a second time about whether and how to drain the water heater. I was told to take the outside cover off, let the water heater cool, and remove the plastic cap to drain. I took a peek and there is not plastic cap.

As important as this process is to an RV operating properly -- like having no leaks and not having things like water heaters bursting -- it is very disappointing that we don't get a decent set of instructions from GD. So I am writing my own! But as I start we are trying to find out if anyone else has created their own checklist for winterizing.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by Dave & Laura; 03-04-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Model year in title is incorrect
    New RVers
    2016 Ford F-250 SRW
    2017 Solitude 310GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The water heater drain is a nylon plug for which you will need a wrench. Take that out and flip the pressure relieve valve (a little brass lever) to let air in to help the drain process. Both are on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being you have a Solitude I'm going to guess that you have an Anode rod as your drain plug not a nylon plug. I believe its located on the lower left side of water heater and will look like a big hex bolt. I'm surprised that you didn't burst your hot water tank last year if you didn't drain it unless you filled it up with antifreeze. Also since you didn't pull the anode rod as of yet you will most likely need a new one because my guess is the one you have should have most of it eaten away.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    Being you have a Solitude I'm going to guess that you have an Anode rod as your drain plug not a nylon plug. I believe its located on the lower left side of water heater and will look like a big hex bolt. I'm surprised that you didn't burst your hot water tank last year if you didn't drain it unless you filled it up with antifreeze. Also since you didn't pull the anode rod as of yet you will most likely need a new one because my guess it the one you have should have most of it eaten away.
    Good point...my Reflection doesn’t have the anode rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Reflection has a nylon drain plug, and I pop it often after September--draining it every time we camp until Spring. I leave all faucets open and pop the caps off the lowest point in the water system--behind the hot water heater underneath. You must remember to switch off the electric heater element prior to draining, however.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the following video useful as a supplement to the instructions in the owner documentation for our Reflection. Not comprehensive either, but useful.

In a few weeks I'll be doing a 2018 Solitude 310GK so I'll be watching this space for your completed manual. Thanks!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Laura View Post
    Where can I find a thorough and accurate set of winterizing instructions for our 2016 Solitude 310GK?? ...

Our owner manual has a GD text, a copy of the Nautilus panel manual and.... they are different. But, thankfully, I have an actual owner's manual for Nautilus in my owner's stuff from GD -- but the Nautilus manual is different than the other two! And there is no revision date on the Nautilus manuals, so how do I know which one might be the right one?

So I am writing my own! But as I start we are trying to find out if anyone else has created their own checklist for winterizing.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!
    I will be very interested in a check list/procedure. If you find, or write one, please post it.

Plastic cap vs. anode; The Reflection and other that use an Atwood aluminum hot water heater tank have a plastic drain plug and no anode. Solitude's, at least our 2018 310GK use a Suburban hot water heater with a steel tank. It has an anode rod (1-1/16" hex head) at the bottom of the tank the doubles as a drain plug. It is accessed from the exterior of the trailer (remove the brown metal cover on the side of the trailer).

Manual: I recommend downloading (and dating) the most recent copy of the Nautilus P1 panel manual from the manufactures web site (to get the most current version). It has a very through and detailed procedure for winterizing the panel. Note: This only winterizes the panel, not the entire trailer.

Some things/fittings to remember when winterizing (in no particular order);
    Turn off outside water heater switch (bottom left of Suburban water heater)
    Outside shower/water ports (2x)
    Black tank flush
    Pull & check water heater anode (and drain tank) 1-1/16" socket
    Open low point drains
    Open washer taps
    Drain and remove water filter. WATCH OUT FOR O-RING.
    Winterize Nautilus panel
    Flush anti-freeze through all lines (run through faucets, shower & toilet)
    Put anti-freeze in all P-traps
    Drain all supply (hookup) hoses

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 03-04-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 310GK 5th. Thanks for the reminders to check the drain plug on the water heater and the washer taps. This will be our first Winter with this trailer so we are learning a lot. We have a last "Summer" trip to the mountains (about 7,500' high) the first weekend in October. This is where we usually do our first winterization. For Thanksgiving we will be headed South (Zion Nat'l Park) for 4 days. Which will include de-winterizing the re-winterizing to return home (Northern Utah). Then Christmas it is back to Death Valley Nat'l Park for a week. Again, de-winterizing and then re-winterizing. February we are headed South again for a long weekend so doing it again then.

Here is my question: How much anti-freeze does it usually take each time? I had it down to a system with our Creekside where I could do it in 15 minutes with only one gallon. I am concerned about this rig and how much I need to get for the Winter with 4 Winter trips planned. I usually buy it by the case (6 jugs) so I was good for the whole year.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I found the following video useful as a supplement to the instructions in the owner documentation for our Reflection. Not comprehensive either, but useful.

In a few weeks I'll be doing a 2018 Solitude 310GK so I'll be watching this space for your completed manual. Thanks!
    I didn't see an attached video?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSimon View Post
    Here is my question: How much anti-freeze does it usually take each time? I had it down to a system with our Creekside where I could do it in 15 minutes with only one gallon. I am concerned about this rig and how much I need to get for the Winter with 4 Winter trips planned. I usually buy it by the case (6 jugs) so I was good for the whole year.
    I used 2 gallons on our 310GK and it was just right. remember to put some down both sink traps and the shower trap.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast